So...wut now?

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: So...wut now?

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:51 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:07 pm
TDub wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:37 am Sorry you dont care about what youve worked for....

Also i think this is where jeeper says something sbout being an official spokesman.
i can’t speak to ousie’s situation, but i’ve worked my ass off for the last 20 years and can only now even think about buying a house...and that’s really only due to a recent inheritance

granted, my work was academic, so i do have a few pieces of paper with embossed lettering to show for it
Took me 15 years or so too. Its not supposed to be easy. Its not a right. But if thats what you want snd set your sights on it is achievable.
It's a trap!

So much frikkin work.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Mjl wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:54 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:07 pm
i can’t speak to ousie’s situation, but i’ve worked my ass off for the last 20 years and can only now even think about buying a house...and that’s really only due to a recent inheritance

granted, my work was academic, so i do have a few pieces of paper with embossed lettering to show for it
Took me 15 years or so too. Its not supposed to be easy. Its not a right. But if thats what you want snd set your sights on it is achievable.
It's a trap!

So much frikkin work.
it is

i’m north of $1300/mo rent, and for what? i’d feel much better knowing that money was an investment in something other than a glorified motel
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:01 pm

It's a trap!

So much frikkin work.
it is

i’m north of $1300/mo rent, and for what? i’d feel much better knowing that money was an investment in something other than a glorified motel
Exactly. Rent is essentially lighting a pile of money on fire every month. Of course, home ownership includes a whole host of unforeseen responsibilities and costs. But at least im gaining equity in something.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Renting is as expensive as a mortgage oftentimes
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:18 pm Renting is as expensive as a mortgage oftentimes
and that’s basically where we’re at

it was different when we were at $800-900, but now it just seems like a waste

and with all the “shit” we’ve got, two dogs included, it’s not as if we can really downsize. almost have to have a house and yard.

the shitty thing is that when we were in kansas it seemed within our reach to get a bit of acreage...not so now that we’re in utah (unless we look on the other side of the valley, commute 2.5 hours/day, and have neighbors straight outta The Hills Have Eyes...no joke).
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:36 pm
zsn wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:56 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:18 am He's Secretary of HUD.
He’s the Administration’s front person
No he's not.

Again, however, your compulsion to exaggerate is a weird as it is off-putting.
There’s more qualifying what kind of front person he is.....there was little exaggeration in what I said. Looks like you’re getting a little testy as defending these guys is becoming increasingly challenging!
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

TDub wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:37 am Sorry you dont care about what youve worked for....
Wow, nailed it again.

I'm so ashamed and care so little about what I've worked for. Thanks for pointing that out, Illy.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:17 pm

It's a trap!

So much frikkin work.
it is

Exactly. Rent is essentially lighting a pile of money on fire every month. Of course, home ownership includes a whole host of unforeseen responsibilities and costs. But at least im gaining equity in something.
I used to think that way. But with the closing costs, real estate agent fees, staging costs, the extra costs of screwing up some home maintenance thing because you don't know what you're doing... I am not convinced owning saves much money. Kinda depends on how handy you.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:07 pm
TDub wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:17 pm
it is

I used to think that way. But with the closing costs, real estate agent fees, staging costs, the extra costs of screwing up some home maintenance thing because you don't know what you're doing... I am not convinced owning saves much money. Kinda depends on how handy you.
Theres some truth to that. But if all you do is minimal maintenance to keep the place operational and inhabitable and if you have some positive equity in the house your are going to get SOMETHING back when you sell it even if you arent making a huge profit (hell even if you lose money, as long as you dont go upside down your gonna get something back). That is substantially more than what you get back when your lease is up.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

chiknbut wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:04 pm
Wow, nailed it again.

I'm so ashamed and care so little about what I've worked for. Thanks for pointing that out, Illy.
Yea. i could say 2 +2 =4 and youd find something to argue with me about or put on your best holier than thou routine. Im not too concerned about what you think of my comments, nor will i discuss much further with you.
Just Ledoux it
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Cost of entry housing has increased at a much faster rate than entry income levels.
Look around Johnson County, Thousands of apartments under construction, seen any new subdivisions lately?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Renting vs buying is dependent upon so many factors....trying to pigeonhole anyone into buying is irresponsible
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Our townhouse is paid for, property tax, insurance and HOA still goes on. Depends on what utilities are covered when renting.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:27 pm Renting vs buying is dependent upon so many factors....trying to pigeonhole anyone into buying is irresponsible
Agreed. If you’re not certain you’re going to stay put for at least five years, you’re flushing money down the toilet jumping into a house purchase. If you haven’t saved a decent down payment, you are also asking for trouble, especially if the market takes a downturn. These are but a few of the hard lessons I learned by buying homes in my twenties.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 62

Thanks for pointing that out, Illy.
I fucking knew it!
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:34 pm Our townhouse is paid for, property tax, insurance and HOA still goes on. Depends on what utilities are covered when renting.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 62

HouseDivided wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:36 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:27 pm Renting vs buying is dependent upon so many factors....trying to pigeonhole anyone into buying is irresponsible
Agreed. If you’re not certain you’re going to stay put for at least five years, you’re flushing money down the toilet jumping into a house purchase. If you haven’t saved a decent down payment, you are also asking for trouble, especially if the market takes a downturn. These are but a few of the hard lessons I learned by buying homes in my twenties.
Exactly.
Sometimes, making a rent payment, with it's lower and KNOWN overhead, is better than a really long term loan...perhaps at a not so great rate...with that down payment stroke earning you money.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Pro tip: Don't miss this opportunity to refinance your home loan if you've been considering it. Rates are really, really low. And that's not to mention 30 yr mortgage rates.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 62

Feral wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:52 pm Pro tip: Don't miss this opportunity to refinance your home loan if you've been considering it. Rates are really, really low. And that's not to mention 30 yr mortgage rates.
A refi usually only makes sense if you are on a long term note.
Otherwise, figure the cost of the refi...appraisals, inspections and fees-added charges to make sure it is really beneficial
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:09 pm
Thanks for pointing that out, Illy.
I fucking knew it!
And your fucking wrong. As usual.
Just Ledoux it