Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by TDub »

seahawk wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 am
TDub wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 am It is amazing the impact this has had and will have. Its also amazing how lackadaisical and cavalier somepeople around me are about it. Complete panic and buy out the stores....and then go pack into to a home and garden show the next day.

Also Im being required to head to toe sanitize my jobsite this morning. But, i have to locate a store that HAS sanitizer and do the sanitizing myself. Better than not sanitizing i suppose sdn I am on board with doing it, just seems like an odd thing as I am not trained in proper sanitization. I will do my best as always.

I do love a good zoo. Shhh tho, dont say it out loud, cascadia is gonna call you an asshole.
Bleach is a sanitizer. Go on the bleach websites to see what the ratio is. Hydrogen peroxide also. Make your own hand sanitizer with 70% alcohol and aloe vera gel.
Yea i got a couple gallons of bleach. Bleach it is.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Now to go spray down a million items around the jobsite
Just Ledoux it
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Good luck with it.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I went to a Target, a 7-11, and a UPS Store this morning.......
* Impossible not to notice cashiers are 2 or 3 feet away from customers. Hardly "social distancing". Not much they can do about it. They are handling cash, touching items others have touched, etc.
I feel bad for those who are nervous. They need to work to make a living and there isn't much they can do to protect themselves.
* Target store is/was sold out of toilet paper. A 20 something year old girl says to a random person, "What about people who really need toilet paper"? Of course asshole me chimes in, "Cleary everyone really needs toilet paper - that's why they are sold out". Other girl says, "If you are completely out you could knock on your neighbor's door and ask them to borrow some". Other random person - "How do you know if your neighbor has the coronavirus - I wouldn't do that".
Later the cashier told me she just had a woman tell her she didn't want the cashier to touch her items and the woman asked her AFTER she used the shopping cart if the shopping cart had been sanitized today.
Unreal.
* At 7-11 I witnessed a customer cough in his hand and then reach in his pocket and hand the cashier cash.
Unreal.
* At the UPS Store I asked the employee if they had been busy or if business has been slow. He told me he had a customer yesterday who asked him if he had any Asian customers come in. The customer told him, "The Asians are contaminated".
Unreal.

Actually, these days "unreal" is very real.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Geezer wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:32 am 1/3 cup bleach per gallon of water.

Bleach, a little drastic. Try 2/3 c isopropyl alcohol, 1/3 c aloevera gel, a few drops of essential oil.
P.S. seems the reaction to Covid-19 is overblown, especially if most symptoms are mild with fairly quick recovery (unless patient is elderly or Immune compromised. If you are symptomatic just go to bed, take Tylenol for fever, aches, drink copious amounts of water, Gatorade, and get plenty of rest. Why get tested if you are sick?
Originally Imzcount (Why do politicians think “hope” is a plan ?)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I have not witnessed one iota of public nonsense or over the top behavior. Not one drop.

Every person I have been in contact with has been chill and just taking it in stride.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Mutual of Omaha headquarters closed down for cleaning after an employee tests positive. I can see their (empty) building from my desk. Schools have started to close.

Elementary school kids will get an old school packet of handouts to work on like we did back in the day. High school kids will get work assigned via email. The governor of Nebraska just had a press conference stating that kids may need to be prepared to do schooling from home for up to 8 weeks.

Our OPPD power company just told employees that they will be sending them home at noon to work from home for the foreseeable future.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03 am I have not witnessed one iota of public nonsense or over the top behavior. Not one drop.

Every person I have been in contact with has been chill and just taking it in stride.
Other than Costco and the grocery stores being out of stock of certain items, I have had the same experience. My wife cancelled her skating club's next 8 week Learn to Skate session that was supposed to be starting last night. Everyone she spoke to was handling it well so far.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Grandma wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 am I went to a Target, a 7-11, and a UPS Store this morning.......
* Impossible not to notice cashiers are 2 or 3 feet away from customers. Hardly "social distancing". Not much they can do about it. They are handling cash, touching items others have touched, etc.
I feel bad for those who are nervous. They need to work to make a living and there isn't much they can do to protect themselves.
* Target store is/was sold out of toilet paper. A 20 something year old girl says to a random person, "What about people who really need toilet paper"? Of course asshole me chimes in, "Cleary everyone really needs toilet paper - that's why they are sold out". Other girl says, "If you are completely out you could knock on your neighbor's door and ask them to borrow some". Other random person - "How do you know if your neighbor has the coronavirus - I wouldn't do that".
Later the cashier told me she just had a woman tell her she didn't want the cashier to touch her items and the woman asked her AFTER she used the shopping cart if the shopping cart had been sanitized today.
Unreal.
* At 7-11 I witnessed a customer cough in his hand and then reach in his pocket and hand the cashier cash.
Unreal.
* At the UPS Store I asked the employee if they had been busy or if business has been slow. He told me he had a customer yesterday who asked him if he had any Asian customers come in. The customer told him, "The Asians are contaminated".
Unreal.

Actually, these days "unreal" is very real.
This is all validating Ousdahl’s y’all hyperbole.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I am out. I am about. My firsthand experiences these last few days tell a much different story than the whackjobs on the social media. Than the media. I have not witnessed one episode of nonsense by my fellow citizens. The folks have been fantastic.

Wish I could say the same for my government and my media. Uncle burnie told us yesterday that “this could get worse than WW2.” Way to keep your calm and keep us comforted you old nut.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I just helped a lady who starts the interaction by asking if y’all’s reservations are down cuz of the virus, all while rubbing her nose.

I say no, they’re actually up, since everyone’s work and school is canceled, everyone’s going on vacation. I then conspicuously apply hand sanitizer and offer her some. She declines.

She says how dumb that is that everyone is still traveling, then in the same fucking breath, says that since her kids’s school is cancelled too they’re gonna keep road tripping around CO to check out some other towns. She then rubs her nose again and hits the road.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Good for her. Why shouldn’t they live their life.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Goddamnit.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

My work is splitting into 2 teams. One team in office, other team work from home. Then switch on a weekly basis.

It’s legit happening. Even in the banking industry where customer service is key. Doing this to maintain service but limit exposure.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I have had a limited set of interactions other than the long lines at Costco (which everyone in line was very nice and cordial) so I haven't seen the foolishness either. I truly hope it stays that way. The virus doesn't scare me one bit but peoples reaction to fear and uncertainty does.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

My wife is a nurse and is terrified.

I’ve told her to not panic but things happening now are all proactive instead of reactive. You want to try something. Instead of not doing anything and then be too late.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

save for a handful of posters, this board is a microcosm on Americans' response

those that lean right, bury there heads in the sand and dangerously downplay what is going on
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:55 am My wife is a nurse and is terrified.

I’ve told her to not panic but things happening now are all proactive instead of reactive. You want to try something. Instead of not doing anything and then be too late.
This is the most frustrating thing. We've done almost nothing -- at the hospital, local, state, or federal level to try to ensure the health and safety of health care workers. Shit got bad in Wuhan (pardon the racism) when health care workers started getting sick. If everyone is sick, then there's no hope.
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:07 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:55 am My wife is a nurse and is terrified.

This is the most frustrating thing. We've done almost nothing -- and the hospital, local, state, or federal level to try to ensure the health and safety of health care workers. Shit got bad in Wuhan (pardon the racism) when health care workers started getting sick. If everyone is sick, then there's no hope.
And right on cue, Italy too...

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:55 am I’ve told her to not panic but things happening now are all proactive instead of reactive. You want to try something. Instead of not doing anything and then be too late.
and this is the kicker...being pro-active =/= panic

i took off work yesterday early just so i could beat the post-workday rush at the grocery stores, and be prepared should the situation worsen

the last thing i'm gonna do is throw caution to the wind and pretend like there's nothing going on and continue "business as usual"

fortunately, for me to live my life the way i like to it means that i'm up in the mountains with the dogs, away from as many people as possible