Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Thanks. I especially appreciate that it's in an easily understandable form, i.e., English.

From your link:

...While the Google efforts are ambitious, they still fall far short of the comprehensive testing system described by President Trump on Friday, much less the 1,700 Google engineers that were supposedly working on that system. And it’s still far from clear what the president was referring to when he described a Google-built website that would “determine whether a test is warranted and to facilitate testing at a nearby convenient location.”

New reporting suggests the idea of such a site was part of a muddled line of communication between White House advisor Jared Kushner and his various contacts in the tech world. The New York Times has reported that Kushner was in close contact with Verily CEO Andy Conrad, who described the triage project to Kushner in advance of the meeting. The idea of 1,700 Google engineers number seems to have come from a volunteer sheet that circulated at a Google all-hands meeting. But while those 1,700 Googlers were volunteering to help, that work would have been in addition to their everyday duties. It’s unclear whether any volunteers actually contributed to the project.

The resulting announcement caught the company entirely off guard. A senior White House official told The Washington Post that much of the confusion was the result of plans being rushed out too early, as the administration rushed to present news that would calm financial markets.

“Neither one of the announcements were ready for prime time,” the official told the Post. “People wanted news to announce.”

[...]
Derek Cressman
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Less that 24 hours after this cunt posts this:

We get the inevitable from this poor sap...

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I work for a 1600 person world-wide architecture firm. Our CEO just sent the email that we will be moving to a remote working environment beginning tomorrow. Not mandatory, but encouraged... No end date mentioned. Of course, doesn’t so much apply to me as I’m on Paternity Leave until the 26th. Still, in my 15+ years at this firm this is unprecedented.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Grandma wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:10 pm My response to a friend - I'm already very angry about the entire situation. I can't buy toilet paper, I can't buy meat in the grocery store/s, I can't go to a restaurant, I can't go to PUBLIC places such as the Lincoln Park zoo, I can't shop at stores that are closing their doors, I can't attend sporting events nor watch them on TV, I can't go to work, etc., etc.; etc. POSSIBLY all because a country (not ours) that absolutely knew the risks of having "wet markets" still allowed them to exist.

And... The crazy thing is "this" could be a whole lot worse. I couldn't even imagine if it was spreading as fast as some/many/most "experts" felt it would.
FTR, "wet markets" does not mean markets with live/recently dead animals. As Trad said, these are culturally critical part of East/SEAsian life. This is how people in that part of the world acquire food. It is their supermarket. "Wet market" means a market which sells good that are "fresh" and not dried (e.g. rice, beans, grains etc). In most cases the food of vegetable origin are segregated and are located in a different part of the market from those of animal origin. It is that part which is to blame. Most modern illnesses which turned into epidemics have their origin in humans' desire/need to house and process animals for food.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Someone ate a fucking pangolin.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

zsn wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:57 pm
Grandma wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:10 pm My response to a friend - I'm already very angry about the entire situation. I can't buy toilet paper, I can't buy meat in the grocery store/s, I can't go to a restaurant, I can't go to PUBLIC places such as the Lincoln Park zoo, I can't shop at stores that are closing their doors, I can't attend sporting events nor watch them on TV, I can't go to work, etc., etc.; etc. POSSIBLY all because a country (not ours) that absolutely knew the risks of having "wet markets" still allowed them to exist.

And... The crazy thing is "this" could be a whole lot worse. I couldn't even imagine if it was spreading as fast as some/many/most "experts" felt it would.
FTR, "wet markets" does not mean markets with live/recently dead animals. As Trad said, these are culturally critical part of East/SEAsian life. This is how people in that part of the world acquire food. It is their supermarket. "Wet market" means a market which sells good that are "fresh" and not dried (e.g. rice, beans, grains etc). In most cases the food of vegetable origin are segregated and are located in a different part of the market from those of animal origin. It is that part which is to blame. Most modern illnesses which turned into epidemics have their origin in humans' desire/need to house and process animals for food.
I sincerely appreciate your educating me. I was somewhat aware of what a "wet market" is and right or wrong, I don't believe that they are "critical" in Wuhan - a city of over 10 million people - who could and would be able to find alternative food sources.
I am wrong to blame the markets but I feel I am right to blame the Chinese government for not "regulating" them and for allowing people to handle infected/infested animals that can lead to the downfall of the world. Yes, that's an extreme statement but we are seeing first hand how it's possible to potentially destroy the world economy and cause the loss of what doubtfully but potentially could be millions of people because there is an abundance of people in China who like to eat bats and shit they buy in "wet markets" and don't need/have to be eating.
That's an extremely simplified and probably ignorant way to look at the issue but right now I'm simply and ignorantly pissed off that my life has basically come to a stand still and I have an 86 year old mother who is ill and is understandably freaking out.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

sdoyel wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:33 pm
^^^

But, you have to admit what republicans have been telling us for decades, that things would be soooooooooo much better if only we'd elect a business man and not a politician, president.
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

sdoyel wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:24 pm I work for a 1600 person world-wide architecture firm. Our CEO just sent the email that we will be moving to a remote working environment beginning tomorrow. Not mandatory, but encouraged... No end date mentioned. Of course, doesn’t so much apply to me as I’m on Paternity Leave until the 26th. Still, in my 15+ years at this firm this is unprecedented.
Congratulations on the child!

I hope the "remote working environment" gives you plenty of room for distancing, once you return.
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It's as if Rick is trying to provoke somebody, too:

Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor