Merican gut checks

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Merican gut checks

Post by ousdahl »

heck, we could call this worldwide gut checks, but let's consider through the lens of the U.S.

have we had a gut check quite like corona virus before?

maybe 9/11, but that was a comparatively brief one day assault, followed by a long recovery that started pretty much immediately.

with this, is there any real end in sight?

Or any comparison? Maybe ww2?

and perhaps most significantly, how do we play this one to maintain some reign of Merican superiority?
Deleted User 89

Re: Merican gut checks

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i think the superiority boat sailed more than a month ago
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, one could also argue that ship has been slowly sinking for a long time, and due to a number of factors.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:20 am i think the superiority boat sailed more than a month ago
^^^

No shit. And considering how our Nativist Tendencies meter is currently pegged at Fevered Frenzy Mode, I'm thoroughly doubtful that we'll learn many of the tidal wave of lessons that are and will be crashing down upon us as the pandemic continues to spread, worsened significantly by the administration's perverted priorities and the government's stunning lack of preparation.

Sadly, this is beginning to look like this generation's 9/11.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

no way this can be my generation’s 9/11. We already had 9/11 for that.

In terms of economic loss, social and cultural upheaval, sheer body count, among other factors, I think this stands to be much worse.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:56 am no way this can be my generation’s 9/11. We already had 9/11 for that.

In terms of economic loss, social and cultural upheaval, sheer body count, among other factors, I think this stands to be much worse.
I don't disagree.

But, what 9/11 lacked in "economic loss, social and cultural upheaval, sheer body count...", it makes up with longevity.

imo

And, I was under the impression a generation was ~ 20 years, but:

"the average period, generally considered to be about thirty years, during which children are born and grow up, become adults, and begin to have children of their own".
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

A lot of statistics contain sentences like "for the first time since ww2"
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Checks: getting larger now that the gyms are closed.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:03 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:56 am no way this can be my generation’s 9/11. We already had 9/11 for that.

I don't disagree.

But, what 9/11 lacked in "economic loss, social and cultural upheaval, sheer body count...", it makes up with longevity.

imo

And, I was under the impression a generation was ~ 20 years, but:

"the average period, generally considered to be about thirty years, during which children are born and grow up, become adults, and begin to have children of their own".
If you mean to imply 9/11 will have greater longevity than this mess, I admire your optimism.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

The one in 100 year event trumped by the one in every ??? Year event.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

2008-2009 was pretty damn traumatic.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:51 am A lot of statistics contain sentences like "for the first time since ww2"
Only saying this because that’s quantifiable and therefore (maybe) understood. Effect to systems moving quick. And stateside. Sigh.

This ain’t ww2
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Gqcolorado wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:59 am
TDub wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:51 am A lot of statistics contain sentences like "for the first time since ww2"
Only saying this because that’s quantifiable and therefore (maybe) understood. Effect to systems moving quick. And stateside. Sigh.

This ain’t ww2
You mean, being asked to shelter at home for 30 days is not the same as storming the beach at Normandy?

Derek Cressman