why the greatest economy ever...

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: why the greatest economy ever...

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^

I wouldn’t have guessed Dave and Busters has 58 billion in assets.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the company i work for donated $800K worth of supplies...masks, gowns, etc.

nbd
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

No matter how big or small your company is, it is a big deal and it's very commendable.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:01 am the company i work for donated $800K worth of supplies...masks, gowns, etc.

nbd
Heads up, they don't need the masks.
Deleted User 89

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:14 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:01 am the company i work for donated $800K worth of supplies...masks, gowns, etc.

nbd
wasn’t my decision, but i agree

masks offer relatively little protection unless someone sneezes directly on you

the best protection is sanitation...regular and efficient hand washing coupled with refrain from touching your face, licking your fingers, or chewing on fingernails
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

lobster wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:39 pm There's always huge opportunity when there's a crisis, you just have to be intelligent enough to take advantage, and that's the problem. You still have opportunity to make some money, but you're not going to make 50,000 like we did.
CHICAGOHAWK, is that you?
Deleted User 62

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:56 am
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:14 am

nbd
wasn’t my decision, but i agree

masks offer relatively little protection unless someone sneezes directly on you

the best protection is sanitation...regular and efficient hand washing coupled with refrain from touching your face, licking your fingers, or chewing on fingernails
Good thing nothing can be transmitted via the eyes
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

How's that "we need a businessman in the White House" working out?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Markets around the world are crashing. People are way too obsessed with finding someone to blame. Liberal media blaming Trump, conservative media blaming states and China and illegal immigrants. While one side of that is more intellectually honest than the other, still - how could he have prevented it, minus 20-20 hindsight?

Sometimes blaming isn't accurate, necessary, or important.
Deleted User 89

he couldn’t have all-out prevented it, but he could have 1) not dismantled the pandemic response team that was already in place, and 2) taken it seriously from the beginning

those two things would have undoubtedly decreased the severity, and likely the overall economic/financial fallout
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Part of me wonders how much this is the greater reaching gummint’s, and all of Merica’s responsibility. When this is getting to be a bigger and bigger problem across the world, and first making landfall here, we were all consumed by an impeachment trial.

But then you look at the response from potus, and realize he treated this the same way he treats everything: ill-prepared, no vision, only in the narrow and oversimplified context of how it affects him, and as if it can be solved like he tries to solve all his problems: with a PR hush campaign.

And just the idea of respondeat superior. Who else are we supposed to hold accountable, if not the boss?
Deleted User 62

ousdahl wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 am Part of me wonders how much this is the greater reaching gummint’s, and all of Merica’s responsibility. When this is getting to be a bigger and bigger problem across the world, and first making landfall here, we were all consumed by an impeachment trial.

But then you look at the response from potus, and realize he treated this the same way he treats everything: ill-prepared, no vision, only in the narrow and oversimplified context of how it affects him, and as if it can be solved like he tries to solve all his problems: with a PR hush campaign.

And just the idea of respondeat superior. Who else are we supposed to hold accountable, if not the boss?
It follows the trajectory of all things Trump.
If anyone expects he will get better at this......
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:40 pm I have like 150 N95 masks that I have stockpiled for work use when needed for me or the crew Am I a millionaire now?!? This is exciting.
Derek Cressman
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Typical Republican

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Richard Burr was one of just three senators who opposed a new bill that explicitly prevents members of Congress and their staffs from using nonpublic information for insider trading.

The Winston-Salem Republican characterized the time spent debating the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act as “ludicrous” when existing laws are already in place that address insider trading. The laws apply to all Americans, including members of Congress, he said.

“We’re doing this at a time when we should be talking about the economy and jobs,” he said. “…Why do (Americans) think so little of us? Because we’re not even debating the things that are most important to them.”

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politi ... rylink=cpy
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Geezer wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:46 pm Typical Republican

Shouldn't this be on the You Can't F^#*ing Make This Shit Up!, thread?

I trade stocks and stock options, but I have never ever come close to making 29 trades in one day. Never.

Richard Burr, sold off a significant percentage of his stocks, unloading between $582,029 and $1.56 million of his holdings on Feb. 13 in 29 separate transactions...
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

In today's installment of: "You Can't Make This Shit Up!", the Wall Street Journal ran a column today authored by the two people behind former Kansas Governor Brownback's "real live” economic "experiment", Arthur Laffer and Stephen Moore. You remember Brownback's economic "experiment", don't you? It resulted in cuts to Medicaid, education, infrastructure, two downgrades of Kansas’s bond ratings, and a budget shortfall of almost $900 million.

Laffer is the father of "supply side economics", the economic theory that Reagan implemented and republicans have hung their economic hat on for the last 4 decades. Adopting Laffer's theory resulted in Reagan nearly tripling the national debt, GW Bush doubling the national debt, and then there's Trump and his gobsmacking deficits extending as far as the forecaster's eyes can see. And, although I'm sure it's just a coincidence, over the time that republicans have had their erection for Laffer and cut taxes mainly for those already at the top, real wages have barely increased and the difference between the haves and the have almost nothings has widened, and widened, and widened.

Considering their track record, other than the fact that the WSJ is owned by the same person who owns Fox News, that festering abscess on mankind that echoes and catapults Trump's lies to his rabid base, can anyone tell me why anyone with a brain still listens to these two?

Derek Cressman
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Feral wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:00 pm
Geezer wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:46 pm Typical Republican

Shouldn't this be on the You Can't F^#*ing Make This Shit Up!, thread?

I trade stocks and stock options, but I have never ever come close to making 29 trades in one day. Never.

Richard Burr, sold off a significant percentage of his stocks, unloading between $582,029 and $1.56 million of his holdings on Feb. 13 in 29 separate transactions...
The thing about Burr is that he could have been banging on the Administration to get ready for the virus and alerting his Senate colleagues as well. He had an example of a prior Senate Intelligence chair as that's what Bob Graham did in 2003 during the march to war in Iraq.

Burr really should resign now.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Anyone with an ounce of knowledge about how the market/s work should have sold off stock the minute the virus became an issue. Period. End of story.
I have to assume there is ZERO chance Burr and/or the other senators face any legal repercussions for being smart with their money.
Why would they?
"Inside info"?
They were allowed to invest with the SEC knowing damn well what info they may be privy to.
Who exactly is going to go after them and prosecute them?