republicans have no shame

Ugh.
seahawk

Re: republicans have no shame

Post by seahawk »

Although Burr's actions may not be prosecutable, that he was receiving classified intelligence reports as head of Senate Intelligence certainly merits investigation by his colleagues.

A source familiar with the activities of the Senate Intelligence Committee, led by Republican Senator Richard Burr and Democratic Senator Mark Warner, said the panel was receiving daily updates.

The role of U.S. intelligence agencies in responding to the coronavirus epidemic at this point principally involves monitoring the spread of the illness around the world and assessing the responses of governments.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN20L37R
Don't inject Lysol.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Feinstein did the dirty, too.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:45 am People who have a history of making wise investment decisions (along with their advisors) have made money on this crisis? Who woulda thunk it?
People who had money invested in an over inflated market figured that even a tiny bit of virus panic could strongly affect the market - decided to sell stocks that could get hurt by the crisis- and/or buy stocks that could profit from the crisis? Who woulda thunk it?
Sure if what these people are being accused of doing (down playing the virus to profit from it and hurt other Americans financially in the process) then they should be considered scumbags but ignorant me would like to know what exactly is it that they did that's illegal?
The issue to me is the conflict of interests that are ignored when wealthy politicians sit on committees that can manipulate the markets - and determining what should and shouldn't be allowed. Thus my asking, what is it that these politicians did that is/was illegal?
I'm no attorney, but I find it difficult to distinguish between what they did and insider trading, which, if I am not mistaken, is illegal.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

just ask martha stewart
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Senators are subject not to traditional insider trading rules but to the rules established in the 2012 STOCK Act, which says that they cannot profit from the use of non-public information they were privy to as part of their official responsibilities.

I think everyone involved here will probably be able to make the case that they traded based on public information, and they will thus likely not face criminal charges.

That said, Burr should be burned to the fucking ground. Legal complicity or not, he betrayed the public trust.

Loeffler has a much stronger case in her defense: the stocks in question were owned by her husband. The trades were made by a third-party manager. Two of the biggest chunks of stock sold were trending downward prior to the sale anyway, etc.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It's also hard to prosecute them because they weren't receiving "insider information" about a particular stock that they then acted upon.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

There's usually a big difference between what reporters think is prosecutable and what is actually something that prosecutors think they can take to court and win. Burr certainly deserves to be investigated by the Senate oversight committee--anyone else would expect that.

Johnson and Feinstein seem to have arguments to make about their trades. Feinstein that it was about a cancer therapy company and Johnson that it had been in the works for awhile.

As for Loeffler, who'd only been appointed 3 weeks before making these trades, Matt Stieb offered this advice:

Already, there are calls for resignations coming from Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, and Tucker Carlson. (If that trifecta has mobilized together against your cause, seek public-relations assistance.)

As I recall, Loeffler is not a Trump buddy and not whom he wanted appointed. Wonder who leaked about her stock trades?

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03 ... eport.html

ETA: We're calling this scandal Burrisma, correct?
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:44 am Speaking of In-Fucking-Sane - it's the President's second-favorite network.

Where the hell is the "Meanwhile, Back At the Base!", thread:

Derek Cressman
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Seems like the old spray scents that smelled like deer urine would be as effective at keeping other people at least 6 ft. from you.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Texas Cologne
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I guess like "balanced budgets", "fiscal responsibility", the "rule of law", "free markets", "activist judges", the right to vote, et al., it depends...

That being the case, this should come as no surprise:

Derek Cressman
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

My guess is he will look to the deep state to help him file for bankruptcy protection.

seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Oh dear, will this hurt Republicans who rely on the NRA?

The National Rifle Association is cutting salaries 20 percent and bracing for layoffs, as the coronavirus pandemic forces the nonprofit to cancel its annual meeting set for April and a wide range of upcoming fundraisers and programs, according to a memo to staffers from the nonprofit’s leadership Monday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... e=facebook
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

chiknbut wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:35 pm My guess is he will look to the deep state to help him file for bankruptcy protection.

Great news. Fuck that guy
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

seahawk wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:16 pm Oh dear, will this hurt Republicans who rely on the NRA?

The National Rifle Association is cutting salaries 20 percent and bracing for layoffs, as the coronavirus pandemic forces the nonprofit to cancel its annual meeting set for April and a wide range of upcoming fundraisers and programs, according to a memo to staffers from the nonprofit’s leadership Monday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... e=facebook
Please don’t tease me like this.....one sure can hope 😄😄
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

You know your conspiracy theory is garbage when even Fox News fires you for how dumb and irresponsible it is:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/media/tr ... index.html
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Ugh

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:42 am Ugh

I hope he (they) go down for this.

Also, I think what Ackman did was even worse, and no one seems to care.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Didn't she upset the asshole that Trump endorsed for that seat?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:51 pm Didn't she upset the asshole that Trump endorsed for that seat?
Appointed, instead of Trump's choice.