Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:27 am
Maybe - and I know this is "out-of-the-box", radical thinking - maybe, if the federal government had, from the top down, taken this seriously - relying on science rather than wishcasting, and prioritizing public health over election results - state and local health departments would not have to fill the leadership void with what is of course a patchwork, inconsistent response.

That's not to absolve state and local officials of criticism for making stupid decisions themselves. They just shouldn't have a leadership vacuum to fill.
Ah.

This is from 11 days after inauguration. It was not the first such story. And they've continued -- mostly with media cheering -- for all of the intervening 38 months.

"LULZ, Trump isn't running anything!"

Except now, apparently, the public health bureaucracy, cuz...sumthin, sumthin'...

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/02 ... nt-workers
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Also, you'll note that the CDC and FDA are two of the offenders I cited.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Derek Cressman
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Holy fuck... this guy...

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Where TH are the "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwe!" &/or the "Today In: Not Good!" threads?

In the second tweet, advance the video to ~ 28.30, and check out the video of the droplets and micro-droplets people spew when coughing, sneezing, and talking loudly.

Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The second tweet is an interesting site dedicated to making it as easy as possible to make your own masks, using:

Non-woven polypropylene (NWPP) Bags

Despite being called “non-woven”, NWPP is pressed with a cross pattern that gives it a woven appearance. A common source of NWPP is reusable shopping bags.

Look for reusable grocery bags with a cross-hatch pattern, no insulation or waterproofing. Hold it up to your nose / mouth, you should be able to breathe through it. NWPP bags can be safely laundered....

Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Yikes! Can you imagine what it's like to be a passenger on that ship?

(Better not have New York tags):

A cruise ship headed to Florida has reported more sick people on board after 4 die and 2 test positive for Covid-19

A cruise ship scheduled to arrive in Florida this week has reported at least 189 people are suffering flu-like symptoms on board.

Holland America's Zaandam began transiting the Panama Canal late Sunday night after being docked off the coast of Panama for several days. The boat and its occupants have been in limbo for weeks awaiting permission to disembark after several South American ports denied the ship's entry.
Four people have died aboard the ship, the cruise line announced Friday.
At least two people tested positive for coronavirus on the ship on Thursday, according to Holland America.

[...]
Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:25 pm
Maybe - and I know this is "out-of-the-box", radical thinking - maybe, if the federal government had, from the top down, taken this seriously - relying on science rather than wishcasting, and prioritizing public health over election results - state and local health departments would not have to fill the leadership void with what is of course a patchwork, inconsistent response.

That's not to absolve state and local officials of criticism for making stupid decisions themselves. They just shouldn't have a leadership vacuum to fill.
Ah.

This is from 11 days after inauguration. It was not the first such story. And they've continued -- mostly with media cheering -- for all of the intervening 38 months.

Except now, apparently, the public health bureaucracy, cuz...sumthin, sumthin'...

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make.

If it's that there are people throughout agencies that are not Trump sycophants...ok, yes, agree, but not sure that a three-year old story is the best vehicle for that point.

Otherwise - my point is that the messaging from the top (and, generally, everyone else public-facing) has been disastrously, egregiously and recklessly contrary to the science and logic of all this. And that, in the absence of competent leadership and messaging from the top, state and local agencies have had to wing it.
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/spor ... virus.html

Olympics scheduled for July 23, 2021. I know a lot of people brush off the Olympics, but I love them. I was really looking forward to them this summer.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Vega wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:55 am https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/spor ... virus.html

Olympics scheduled for July 23, 2021. I know a lot of people brush off the Olympics, but I love them. I was really looking forward to them this summer.
I love the Olympics too.
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

While likely only a drop in the bucket, this is pretty cool:

One of the most pressing shortages facing hospitals during the Covid-19 emergency is a lack of ventilators. These machines can keep patients breathing when they no longer can on their own, and they can cost around $30,000 each. Now, a rapidly assembled volunteer team of engineers, physicians, computer scientists, and others, centered at MIT, is working to implement a safe, inexpensive alternative for emergency use, which could be built quickly around the world.

The team, called MIT E-Vent (for emergency ventilator), was formed on March 12, 2020, in response to the rapid spread of the Covid-19 pandemic. Its members were brought together by the exhortations of doctors, friends, and a sudden flood of mail referencing a project done a decade ago in the MIT class 2.75 (Medical Device Design). Students working in consultation with local physicians designed a simple ventilator device that could be built with about $100 worth of parts. They published a paper detailing their design and testing, but the work ended at that point. Now, with a significant global need looming, a new team, linked to that course, has resumed the project at a highly accelerated pace.

[...]
Derek Cressman
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

And the florida governor is threatening to bar the cruise ship from docking in florida. Says the passengers could be a drain on Florida’s resources. Millions of spring breakers, come on down.

That’s what we call “funny business.”
Last edited by MICHHAWK on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 307

When this is all over, you'll be able to get on a cruise for a used sock and some Zebra Stripes gum.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:09 am

Ah.

If it's that there are people throughout agencies that are not Trump sycophants...ok, yes, agree, but not sure that a three-year old story is the best vehicle for that point.

Otherwise - my point is that the messaging from the top (and, generally, everyone else public-facing) has been disastrously, egregiously and recklessly contrary to the science and logic of all this. And that, in the absence of competent leadership and messaging from the top, state and local agencies have had to wing it.
The point is that it is incredibly disingenuous to spend three-plus years celebrating and encouraging the professional bureaucracy to defy and embarrass the elected executive and then to turn around and blame that same executive when the professional bureaucracy fucks up.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:29 am

Ah.

The point is that it is incredibly disingenuous to spend three-plus years celebrating and encouraging the professional bureaucracy to defy and embarrass the elected executive and then to turn around and blame that same executive when the professional bureaucracy fucks up.
But how is that at all relevant to my point? I'm not blaming Trump for the "professional bureaucracy" fucking up. I'm blaming him for not acknowledging that a train is coming, despite standing on the tracks, hearing a train whistle and seeing billowing smoke getting closer.
Deleted User 307

Pew recent survey is encouraging.

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:35 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:29 am

But how is that at all relevant to my point? I'm not blaming Trump for the "professional bureaucracy" fucking up. I'm blaming him for not acknowledging that a train is coming, despite standing on the tracks, hearing a train whistle and seeing billowing smoke getting closer.
OK. That's fair and accurate.

But...how is that relevant to MY point (which was made in the OP in this sub-thread) that our public health bureaucracies are not just woefully unprepared but also resistant to acting boldly?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I guess I'll just go where I was going originally, which is: our public health bureaucracies, particularly on a state and local level, should be in a "follow" stance on something like this. They should not have room to make bad decisions, on a macro level.

I understand that the idea of federalized anything is unpleasant. But I do agree with the idea that this is akin to national defense matters. The mission should have come from the top, with state and local leaders and agencies being empowered to implement, and supported in implementing, a rational and coherent national strategy.