Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by DCHawk1 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 am DC is a guy who would defend someone like Steve Spurrier.
Steps into the pros, fires all the staff and brings in his own, and then when he fails, DC defends Spurrier from fans who are:

a. calling him out for his failed leadership
b. calling him out for the state of the teams roster and staff
c. calling him out for the teams record
d. calling him out specifically for offense, defense or special teams

And then uses some sort of strawman loophole argument to fans who say, 'Spurrier should at least do something with his team!' by pointing to when fans said he's awful at coaching and shouldn't be in charge.
Lulz

That's not how any of this works.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Vega wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:36 am Big nope from me on watching that. Talking to some nurses I know in NYC, 16 hour days, 7 days a week for the last three weeks. Basically just the walking dead for them right now.
I don't blame you. I saw a picture of it yesterday, but didn't copy and paste it here because it was too depressing. Then, I watched the news and went on a message board of physicians and saw what several of my KUMed classmates, like the nurses you know, are saying and what they're being asked to do while putting themselves and therefore all of us at risk by not having the PPE they need. So I decided to search for the photo and post it to try and raise awareness. And to my surprise I discovered there was a video. The commentary of the guy taking the vid says it. He's testifying, for all of us.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Is there a person with a brain in their head that doesn't comprehend why this guy isn't being honest?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/surgeon-g ... oronavirus
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Derek Cressman
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

Not a good look

Hospitals threatening to fire workers for speaking out about coronavirus shortages: report

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... -out-about

At least two healthcare workers have been fired for speaking out about the need for more coronavirus tests and protective equipment, as hospitals across the country warn doctors and nurses not to publicize pandemic-fueled shortages of medical supplies.

An emergency room doctor in Washington state was fired last week after criticizing working conditions at his hospital where he spent 17 years, and a Chicago nurse was fired after warning colleagues their assigned masks offered inadequate protection against coronavirus, according to reports.

“Nurses and other health care workers are being muzzled in an attempt by hospitals to preserve their image,” said Ruth Schubert, a spokesperson for the Washington State Nurses Association. “No health care worker should face being disciplined or fired for speaking the truth.”

Developing...
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:28 am
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Vega wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:32 am Not a good look

Hospitals threatening to fire workers for speaking out about coronavirus shortages: report

At least two healthcare workers have been fired for speaking out about the need for more coronavirus tests and protective equipment, as hospitals across the country warn doctors and nurses not to publicize pandemic-fueled shortages of medical supplies.

An emergency room doctor in Washington state was fired last week after criticizing working conditions at his hospital where he spent 17 years, and a Chicago nurse was fired after warning colleagues their assigned masks offered inadequate protection against coronavirus, according to reports.

“Nurses and other health care workers are being muzzled in an attempt by hospitals to preserve their image,” said Ruth Schubert, a spokesperson for the Washington State Nurses Association. “No health care worker should face being disciplined or fired for speaking the truth.”

Developing...
What's the over/under that the main thing motivating the hospitals to try and shut their employees up is their desire to remain under the radar and not provoke the ire of the ever aggrieved and vengeful Pandemic WiperOuter In Chief?

Serious question.
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:47 am
Feral wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:28 am
Wow! That seems huge.

I almost bought their stock last week.
Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There's always a black lining to the silver cloud..."DUBLIN".

But yes - this is a very heartening development.
Deleted User 307

Feral wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:55 am

Developing...
What's the over/under that the main thing motivating the hospitals to try and shut their employees up is their desire to remain under the radar and not provoke the ire of the ever aggrieved and vengeful Pandemic WiperOuter In Chief?

Serious question.
To me, zero. I'd say it's more about keeping the brand name healthy for for-profit hospitals. If OP Regional was overran, and Olathe Medical Center used say Great Mall (that still around?) space to take their overflow, it could cut into the profits of OP Regional.

Especially in places like Kansas City, it seems hospitals really try and tout their services through ads and outreach.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:53 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 am DC is a guy who would defend someone like Steve Spurrier.
Steps into the pros, fires all the staff and brings in his own, and then when he fails, DC defends Spurrier from fans who are:

a. calling him out for his failed leadership
b. calling him out for the state of the teams roster and staff
c. calling him out for the teams record
d. calling him out specifically for offense, defense or special teams

And then uses some sort of strawman loophole argument to fans who say, 'Spurrier should at least do something with his team!' by pointing to when fans said he's awful at coaching and shouldn't be in charge.
Lulz

That's not how any of this works.
So now you're just going to deny all those late-night conversations you and I had about our mutual respect and love for Steve Spurrier?

Is there no end to this madness?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Vega wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:01 am
Feral wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:55 am

Developing...

Serious question.
To me, zero. I'd say it's more about keeping the brand name healthy for for-profit hospitals. If OP Regional was overran, and Olathe Medical Center used say Great Mall (that still around?) space to take their overflow, it could cut into the profits of OP Regional.

Especially in places like Kansas City, it seems hospitals really try and tout their services through ads and outreach.
The KC Metro will be a fascinating case study. I have more faith in Kansas local officials than Missouri local officials. But Missouri has a governor in Trump's good graces, and Kansas does not.
Deleted User 307

Kansas has Gay MMA Fighting Female rep and a down to earth governor. I was flabbergasted that Kansas took such a strong step so early in the process, especially shutting down schools for rest of year. Missouri has sycophants in charge and Middle Mizoura seemed to take over that state. I don't want Ozark lads making decisions in my former state.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:12 am Is there a person with a brain in their head that doesn't comprehend why this guy isn't being honest?

Just spitballin' here, but maybe he is trying to avoid a run on masks that would be better used in hospital and critical care settings? If people can't behave responsibly with relatively benign resources like toilet paper and hand sanitizer, how do you think they are going to react if the Surgeon General says "Everybody needs a mask"?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Gov. Kelly was able to get Trump's disaster aid approved yesterday--no idea what the package looks like.

I think what has been forcing or will force Parson's hand are the rapidly increasing numbers in STL and Springfield.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:43 am
Grandma wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:12 am Is there a person with a brain in their head that doesn't comprehend why this guy isn't being honest?

Just spitballin' here, but maybe he is trying to avoid a run on masks that would be better used in hospital and critical care settings? If people can't behave responsibly with relatively benign resources like toilet paper and hand sanitizer, how do you think they are going to react if the Surgeon General says "Everybody needs a mask"?
You have a brain in your head! That's indeed one of the major reasons.
The unfortunate result is - as I keep saying, the circle goes round and round.
If the "general public" stays as safe as possible and as healthy as possible, the healthcare workers don't have to care for those who aren't infected. The shortage of masks is inexcusable and people (nurses and doctors as well as the "general public" are literally losing their lives because of it.

Brings me back to when I had my appendicitis. I'm at Northwestern Hospital and was told I MUST get my appendix out ASAP. Surgery scheduled for between 12:00am and 2:00am.
I'm laying on a gurney in a fucking hallway for hours. No spots for me in the Emergency Room and no "rooms" to put me in. Hospital is basically "full". This was on a "normal" weeknight.
I asked the nurse who was attending to me - "What if there was a major crisis in the city? How could this hospital handle it"? She said, "There are plans in place". My response - "BULLSHIT. There is no way this hospital is properly prepared for a major crisis".
Well, Northwestern is just one hospital in this country that was/is ill prepared. Seems most if not all of them are. It's SHAMEFUL!
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:42 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:43 am

You have a brain in your head! That's indeed one of the major reasons.
The unfortunate result is - as I keep saying, the circle goes round and round.
If the "general public" stays as safe as possible and as healthy as possible, the healthcare workers don't have to care for those who aren't infected. The shortage of masks is inexcusable and people (nurses and doctors as well as the "general public" are literally losing their lives because of it.

Brings me back to when I had my appendicitis. I'm at Northwestern Hospital and was told I MUST get my appendix out ASAP. Surgery scheduled for between 12:00am and 2:00am.
I'm laying on a gurney in a fucking hallway for hours. No spots for me in the Emergency Room and no "rooms" to put me in. Hospital is basically "full". This was on a "normal" weeknight.
I asked the nurse who was attending to me - "What if there was a major crisis in the city? How could this hospital handle it"? She said, "There are plans in place". My response - "BULLSHIT. There is no way this hospital is properly prepared for a major crisis".
Well, Northwestern is just one hospital in this country that was/is ill prepared. Seems most if not all of them are. It's SHAMEFUL!
I think we are at a point where those in power know that a certain percentage of the population is going to die at this point no matter what measures are taken - and it is higher than what they are saying. They are trying to keep the social order from collapsing on top of everything else.

Our best hope is that it sweeps through and does what it is going to do quickly and/or that the medications being used shorten the severity and duration of the majority of cases until a vaccine can be developed. The reality is that, if we have widespread lockdowns for much longer, there will be no economy or schools or anything else to come back to once COVID-19 is under control. We are going to have to strike a balance between "everybody will be safe" and "the world has to keep turning".
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 307

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:07 pm Game changer:

https://www.axios.com/fda-coronavirus-t ... vCoulhoqi8
Helps, however:

"Yes, but: The Bodysphere two-minute test can only detect the coronavirus in people who have had the infection for several days, meaning the test can't be used too early on when the body hasn't produced enough antibodies."

Might give more asymptomatic folks too much confidence in going out, and help spread.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

That's great.

Anyone who gets a positive test can un-quarantine and help the at-risk.