Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There will be some positives out of this whole thing, hard to see now, but there will:

I've felt Americans seem kinda lax comparatively on personal sanitation and have generally been ignorant about contagion.

And, not that it is limited to the US. I've read anecdotal stories from countries in Asia where it seems the cases of common cold and flu are down this spring. Could just be a resource thing, but social distancing and handwashing may be having good collateral effects. Anyway, this is all to say, yes, police and emt's should already be concerned about sanitation, and during a pandemic, you have to assume everyone is infected. Give them a raise.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:38 pm Shouldn't police and emts treat every situation like it's a covid positive situation? With large percentages of asymptomatic carriers and long period of shedding prior to symptom development, doesn't something like this give a false sense of security anyway? Especially given that the majority of people haven't been tested?

I can't see the benefit.
We don’t have the N95s to make that feasible.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:38 pm Shouldn't police and emts treat every situation like it's a covid positive situation? With large percentages of asymptomatic carriers and long period of shedding prior to symptom development, doesn't something like this give a false sense of security anyway? Especially given that the majority of people haven't been tested?

I can't see the benefit.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

emts/fire/medical were at a neighbor’s across the street on sunday...they all had masks even though it was just a guy that fell off his ladder

grated, i know at least some were not n-95
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I am friends with a heart surgeon at a major hospital in the KC Metro. He has one (1) N95.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

We should all act as if we're carrying the coronavirus. And because we're all "carrying" the virus, we stay home as much as possible. If we all act as if we have the virus and act accordingly, when/if we have to go out we'll give others space just like they give us space. We all want the same thing, to get back to "normal" as quickly as possible with the least longterm damage to our lives and the economy as possible, so taking a bitter pill now and for the next 6, 8, 12, 16(?) weeks, is a lot better than the alternative.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

I've been to some fire dept. awards ceremonies where there were special awards given to the paramedics for some heroic act they'd performed, but when every call is basically heroic, that's a whole different world. Given that about 80% of the department's calls are medical, it's got to be scary.
Don't inject Lysol.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:34 pm We should all act as if we're carrying the coronavirus. And because we're all "carrying" the virus, we stay home as much as possible. If we all act as if we have the virus and act accordingly, when/if we have to go out we'll give others space just like they give us space. We all want the same thing, to get back to "normal" as quickly as possible with the least longterm damage to our lives and the economy as possible, so taking a bitter pill now and for the next 6, 8, 12, 16(?) weeks, is a lot better than the alternative.
There will be nothing left to go back to in six weeks. It will be a Third World wasteland with 60% unemployment. The riots in Italy today are a preview in miniature of what this country will look like if the government adds to the April 30 end date. That’s your alternative. There’s theory and there’s real world. Our leaders better figure out a workable balance pretty damned quick.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Oh brother.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The ncaa tourney was cancelled and I made it through.

There's nothing we, collectively, can't get through, the worst thing imaginable already occurred.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:34 pm We should all act as if we're carrying the coronavirus. And because we're all "carrying" the virus, we stay home as much as possible. If we all act as if we have the virus and act accordingly, when/if we have to go out we'll give others space just like they give us space. We all want the same thing, to get back to "normal" as quickly as possible with the least longterm damage to our lives and the economy as possible, so taking a bitter pill now and for the next 6, 8, 12, 16(?) weeks, is a lot better than the alternative.
^^^^

It’s a bummer this hasn’t been recognized sooner, or more universally, even now. Too many are too worried about getting back to normal, as if we’re gonna have any normal without some sort of curb on the virus first.

I recognized it right away.

...okay well not right away right away, but at least once the badass beach party started to die down anyway.

oh come on, spring break wooo!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:08 pm
There will be nothing left to go back to in six weeks. It will be a Third World wasteland with 60% unemployment. The riots in Italy today are a preview in miniature of what this country will look like if the government adds to the April 30 end date. That’s your alternative. There’s theory and there’s real world. Our leaders better figure out a workable balance pretty damned quick.
Impulse reply:

Of course, I think it goes without saying that I didn't mean you, Psych. You're free to move about as you wish because, you are you after all, and you're much too fragile for us to expect you to do what's best for yourself, not to mention, humanity.

Please accept my apology.

______________________________________________________________________________________
Plan B reply:

What makes you think that if we don't flatten this curve significantly ASAP and we keep passing the virus throughout the population thereby overwhelming our medical system even more than we already expect to under the best of circumstances, that we'll have anything other than "a Third World wasteland...to go back to", anyway?

Look at Italy. Look at Spain. We have to at least try and do better. WTF ever happened to American exceptionalism?

Delay gratification. Be pragmatic and give up something today to get something better tomorrow, i.e., grow up!

Seriously.
Derek Cressman
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

A. I don't agree with Psych. I think we'll be fine.

But...

B. Spain and Italy were practically third-world in the first place.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Efficacy of hydroxychloroquine in patients with COVID-19: results of a randomized clinical trial

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20040758v2
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

seahawk wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:43 am Efficacy of hydroxychloroquine in patients with COVID-19: results of a randomized clinical trial

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20040758v2
I'll take good news where I can get it!
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:16 pm The ncaa tourney was cancelled and I made it through.

There's nothing we, collectively, can't get through, the worst thing imaginable already occurred.
Nevermind
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

You're acting as if the economy is 100 percent shut down. People are still working. They're working differently. Go out and see all the construction still taking place. See how all the restaurants, though hit hard, have altered their business models to emphasize take out and delivery instead of sit down.

The economy will slow down, no question and it will be devastating for many. No need to be so Psych about it.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:19 am
You're acting as if the economy is 100 percent shut down. People are still working. They're working differently. Go out and see all the construction still taking place. See how all the restaurants, though hit hard, have altered their business models to emphasize take out and delivery instead of sit down.

The economy will slow down, no question and it will be devastating for many. No need to be so Psych about it.
He's right. He's just sped up at least 6-9 months.

It's very important that as a society we continue to make sure people don't go hungry or lose their homes, etc. during this.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Ugh.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... fools-hoax

A story that went viral about the Food and Drug Administration approving a two-minute test for coronavirus antibodies looks like a cruel hoax timed to coincide with April Fools' Day.

On Wednesday, it was widely reported that the FDA had approved a serological test to detect the coronavirus. This was potentially significant because having a quick test for the appearance of antibodies could show that somebody has already recovered and developed an immunity to the virus, thus allowing that person to reenter society. This is one of many tools that some public health experts have pointed to as something that could be used to ease up on social distancing restrictions gradually.

The news was reported in a Reuters story that was reprinted by the New York Times, Axios, and many other outlets. The Washington Examiner also reported on the supposed development.

However, when I thought about writing about this breakthrough this morning, a few things struck me as odd.

All of the stories eventually led back to a press release issued by a company calling itself BODYSPHERE Inc. I've never heard of any such company, and all Google searches just referenced the story about the coronavirus test.

I then checked out the website of the company, and the only products listed were a COVID-19 test, medical masks, and hand sanitizer — all products that happen to be in high demand right now. The company's Twitter page had no tweets before Monday.

So then I looked at the FDA webpage announcing Emergency Use Authorizations, and I did not find any reference to the supposed EUA for the BODYSPHERE test.

Finally, I contacted the FDA to ask if any EUA for BODYSPHERE had been issued and received an email back explaining, "No serology tests have received an authorization to test for coronavirus."
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto