Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I thought I was a compassionate person. This makes me question myself.

A) NO WAY ANY cruise ship should have set sail ANYWHERE at ANY TIME after March 1st.
Any country that allowed it - shame on them. They bear responsibility for this.

B) I feel you have to be a complete fucking moron to have gotten on a cruise ship ANYWHERE after March 1st.
Heck, I feel you have to be a complete fucking moron to take a Carnival Cruise at any time but I'll save that thought for another day.
To the people on the ships who are basically begging for their lives right now and are placing blame on others for their being stuck on the boats, I say to them - LOOK IN THE MIRROR if you're wanting to place blame on someone for your current predicament.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cr ... m-n1173576
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

Seemed way too good to be true. Seems like blood tests should take way more than 2 minutes.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:35 am Ugh.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... fools-hoax

A story that went viral about the Food and Drug Administration approving a two-minute test for coronavirus antibodies looks like a cruel hoax timed to coincide with April Fools' Day.

On Wednesday, it was widely reported that the FDA had approved a serological test to detect the coronavirus. This was potentially significant because having a quick test for the appearance of antibodies could show that somebody has already recovered and developed an immunity to the virus, thus allowing that person to reenter society. This is one of many tools that some public health experts have pointed to as something that could be used to ease up on social distancing restrictions gradually.

The news was reported in a Reuters story that was reprinted by the New York Times, Axios, and many other outlets. The Washington Examiner also reported on the supposed development.

However, when I thought about writing about this breakthrough this morning, a few things struck me as odd.

All of the stories eventually led back to a press release issued by a company calling itself BODYSPHERE Inc. I've never heard of any such company, and all Google searches just referenced the story about the coronavirus test.

I then checked out the website of the company, and the only products listed were a COVID-19 test, medical masks, and hand sanitizer — all products that happen to be in high demand right now. The company's Twitter page had no tweets before Monday.

So then I looked at the FDA webpage announcing Emergency Use Authorizations, and I did not find any reference to the supposed EUA for the BODYSPHERE test.

Finally, I contacted the FDA to ask if any EUA for BODYSPHERE had been issued and received an email back explaining, "No serology tests have received an authorization to test for coronavirus."
it was even reported on the morning news shows
Deleted User 289

As I have been known to say too often, how about people take 30 seconds to do a little research/due diligence before they assume something that's probably too good to be true - is true?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Grandma wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:04 am As I have been known to say too often, how about people take 30 seconds to do a little research/due diligence before they assume something that's probably too good to be true - is true?
How about some shitbag doesn't use a pandemic as the basis of an April Fool's joke?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For real.

I thought about waking up and asking beav to take me to the ER cuz I have trouble breathing and no taste or smell, but why even joke about that? So I just took a dump in his shoe instead LOL April fools bro!
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:19 am
HouseDivided wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:08 pm
Feral wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:34 pm We should all act as if we're carrying the coronavirus. And because we're all "carrying" the virus, we stay home as much as possible. If we all act as if we have the virus and act accordingly, when/if we have to go out we'll give others space just like they give us space. We all want the same thing, to get back to "normal" as quickly as possible with the least longterm damage to our lives and the economy as possible, so taking a bitter pill now and for the next 6, 8, 12, 16(?) weeks, is a lot better than the alternative.
There will be nothing left to go back to in six weeks. It will be a Third World wasteland with 60% unemployment. The riots in Italy today are a preview in miniature of what this country will look like if the government adds to the April 30 end date. That’s your alternative. There’s theory and there’s real world. Our leaders better figure out a workable balance pretty damned quick.
You're acting as if the economy is 100 percent shut down. People are still working. They're working differently. Go out and see all the construction still taking place. See how all the restaurants, though hit hard, have altered their business models to emphasize take out and delivery instead of sit down.

The economy will slow down, no question and it will be devastating for many. No need to be so Psych about it.
I guess it depends on whether or not it is devastating to you personally.

As that devastation trickles down, it will impact you as well. Higher education will be irreversibly impacted if this persists more than a few more weeks. Most institutions, with the exception of those with crazy endowments - do not have the ability to endure the loss of a Fall semester. State institutions will not be spared as tax revenues dry up and enrollments drop. The ripple effect outward will impact service industries and non-faculty positions at multiple levels. As athletics cease to compete, it will impact media, advertising, marketing - it goes on ad infinitum.

I apologize if my need for a job and reliable income seems trivial and petty. My bad for wanting to make sure I have food, clothing, and shelter.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:34 pm
Feral wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:34 pm We should all act as if we're carrying the coronavirus. And because we're all "carrying" the virus, we stay home as much as possible. If we all act as if we have the virus and act accordingly, when/if we have to go out we'll give others space just like they give us space. We all want the same thing, to get back to "normal" as quickly as possible with the least longterm damage to our lives and the economy as possible, so taking a bitter pill now and for the next 6, 8, 12, 16(?) weeks, is a lot better than the alternative.
There will be nothing left to go back to in six weeks. It will be a Third World wasteland with 60% unemployment. The riots in Italy today are a preview in miniature of what this country will look like if the government adds to the April 30 end date. That’s your alternative. There’s theory and there’s real world. Our leaders better figure out a workable balance pretty damned quick.
Impulse reply:

Of course, I think it goes without saying that I didn't mean you, Psych. You're free to move about as you wish because, you are you after all, and you're much too fragile for us to expect you to do what's best for yourself, not to mention, humanity.

Please accept my apology.

______________________________________________________________________________________
Plan B reply:

What makes you think that if we don't flatten this curve significantly ASAP and we keep passing the virus throughout the population thereby overwhelming our medical system even more than we already expect to under the best of circumstances, that we'll have anything other than "a Third World wasteland...to go back to", anyway?

Look at Italy. Look at Spain. We have to at least try and do better. WTF ever happened to American exceptionalism?

Delay gratification. Be pragmatic and give up something today to get something better tomorrow, i.e., grow up!

Seriously.
I couldn't be happier that you are in a position where this does not seriously threaten your economic well-being. It must be nice. Most of the rest of us are much more concerned with making sure we have a job, an income, and food on the table. Throwing around numbers like sixteen weeks as if they are even remotely reasonable makes me want to throat punch somebody. I sincerely apologize if that constitutes a need to grow up. Carry on with your charmed life.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:21 am For real.

I thought about waking up and asking beav to take me to the ER cuz I have trouble breathing and no taste or smell, but why even joke about that? So I just took a dump in his shoe instead LOL April fools bro!
The Classics never get old.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

they're classics for a reason.

and besides, I was already diagnosed as having no taste.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:23 am
chiknbut wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:19 am

You're acting as if the economy is 100 percent shut down. People are still working. They're working differently. Go out and see all the construction still taking place. See how all the restaurants, though hit hard, have altered their business models to emphasize take out and delivery instead of sit down.

The economy will slow down, no question and it will be devastating for many. No need to be so Psych about it.
I guess it depends on whether or not it is devastating to you personally.

As that devastation trickles down, it will impact you as well. Higher education will be irreversibly impacted if this persists more than a few more weeks. Most institutions, with the exception of those with crazy endowments - do not have the ability to endure the loss of a Fall semester. State institutions will not be spared as tax revenues dry up and enrollments drop. The ripple effect outward will impact service industries and non-faculty positions at multiple levels. As athletics cease to compete, it will impact media, advertising, marketing - it goes on ad infinitum.

I apologize if my need for a job and reliable income seems trivial and petty. My bad for wanting to make sure I have food, clothing, and shelter.
Hadn't thought much about it, but yeah, if kids don't go back to campus in the fall...yikes.

Hopefully we're not quite there.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Don't see that being an issue. Hell, Liberty U is already back!
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:49 am Don't see that being an issue. Hell, Liberty U is already back!
It's not funny. At all.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:51 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:49 am Don't see that being an issue. Hell, Liberty U is already back!
It's not funny. At all.
We all have our ways of getting through it. My household is also directly affected by academia and the the fall semester is literally, right now, the topic of my household conversation.

Thankfully, KU is set up to where we'll have the paycheck coming in the fall b/c of the ability to hold online courses. Everyone is being forced to adapt, and your school will hopefully be able to do the same.
Deleted User 289

chiknbut wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:15 am
Grandma wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:04 am As I have been known to say too often, how about people take 30 seconds to do a little research/due diligence before they assume something that's probably too good to be true - is true?
How about some shitbag doesn't use a pandemic as the basis of an April Fool's joke?
That would be nice but there will always be shitbags in the world who exist.
For that reason and many others, I am a skeptical person.
Not saying you're a shitbag (because you're not) but yesterday I was skeptical about your post regarding Kroger. I then spent 30 seconds to find the truth.
Last night I was skeptical about something that someone posted in regards to people getting their "food stamp" funds on the first of the month. I spent 30 seconds to find the truth.
This morning I was skeptical about something that someone posted about Hillary. I spent 30 seconds to find the truth.
Point of my saying this is, we live in such a fucking gullible society. Pretty much anyone has the ability to post something on social media and often they post things that are simply not true - without fear of repercussion/s.
It's frightening to me.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:57 am
It's not funny. At all.
We all have our ways of getting through it. My household is also directly affected by academia and the the fall semester is literally, right now, the topic of my household conversation.

Thankfully, KU is set up to where we'll have the paycheck coming in the fall b/c of the ability to hold online courses. Everyone is being forced to adapt, and your school will hopefully be able to do the same.
My school has already made the shift online, but that obviously doesn't cover students with connectivity challenges. It doesn't cover income from room, board, athletics, giving, and investments. It doesn't cover the ripple effect to local businesses that count on students to keep them afloat. It doesn't account for families who will not have the money to enroll their child in college at all anymore. If this continues, KU will look drastically different than it did a month ago, and schools like mine will simply cease to exist. It just simply can't be allowed to happen. The stakes are too high.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 am

It's not funny. At all.

My school has already made the shift online, but that obviously doesn't cover students with connectivity challenges. It doesn't cover income from room, board, athletics, giving, and investments. It doesn't cover the ripple effect to local businesses that count on students to keep them afloat. It doesn't account for families who will not have the money to enroll their child in college at all anymore. If this continues, KU will look drastically different than it did a month ago, and schools like mine will simply cease to exist. It just simply can't be allowed to happen. The stakes are too high.
I think higher education and Class A office space are going to have this particularly rough.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 am

It's not funny. At all.

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you on the effects of a massive recession and what a yearlong shutdown would to nearly every sector in the world.

There's just a wide gulf between the premises of your predicted doomsday scenario and what is currently being proposed and done. The national recommendations are in effect for 29 more days, not 8 more months. Your state has been under a state-at-home order for 48 whole hours. There really aren't that many businesses closed right now.

I'm not saying there aren't people struggling, but you're a good amount of time off on what you think is going on. If the national peak is predicted to be mid-April and some local governments are wanting to be cautious and extend stay at home until May 15 or even May 30, that's just not likely to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If either (1) there is not much seasonality, or (2) there is not much immunity to subsequent infection, then we need to start thinking about immediate, medium-to-long-term structural changes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:14 am If either (1) there is not much seasonality, or (2) there is not much immunity to subsequent infection, then we need to start thinking about immediate, medium-to-long-term structural changes.
Which, those are both not much more than guesses either way right now.

But, unless I've missed it, I haven't seen a rash of bad news on those two fronts.