Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 pm and business trips be skype appointments. There’s so many more efficient ways to communicate any more.
Yeah, but that sucks. The whole reason to go to a conference is to go someplace cool and then sneak off to do something fun.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Vega wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:13 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:04 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:50 am

For a LONG time.
I'd guess permanently, to a significant degree.

Damn near overnight, my law firm has gone work-from-home, up and down the food chain. Given that lease expense is one of the biggest fixed costs professional services firms have (people obviously being the biggest), I fully expect firms to figure out a way to reduce square footage moving forward.
My company is also talking about making permanent options for WFH. In Manhattan, we have I think four different buildings that we rent space in. I work at the corporate headquarters, and I know we have at least seven floors in my building, maybe more. I could absolutely see us closing up some of the floors and having a more open floor plan for other departments.
I could very much see an outcome where firms don't have enough offices for every person to have their own space, and what happens is some/all people need to "sign up" for office space in any given day/week/whatever.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:15 pm I think there are positives, at least selfishly.

Millenial generation doing WFH successfully could change my day-to-day, and I'm loving that restaurants are finally jumping on board being able to order takeout online.

Only cost millions of lives.
The problem is that restaurant takeout is, in most instances, bad.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:07 am
I think higher education and Class A office space are going to have this particularly rough.
For a LONG time.

Damn near overnight, my law firm has gone work-from-home, up and down the food chain. Given that lease expense is one of the biggest fixed costs professional services firms have (people obviously being the biggest), I fully expect firms to figure out a way to reduce square footage moving forward.
We can't begin to imagine all the changes that are going to ripple through society as a result of the pandemic. And I'm sure there's no lack of investors and entrepreneurs trying to guess how they can anticipate and profit from it. Good for them.

WeWork, once "valued" at $47 billion dollars, managed to fail on its own or I'm pretty sure it would be failing now.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:19 pm

For a LONG time.

We can't begin to imagine all the changes that are going to ripple through society as a result of the pandemic. And I'm sure there's no lack of investors and entrepreneurs trying to guess how they can anticipate and profit from it. Good for them.

WeWork, once "valued" at $47 billion dollars, managed to fail on its own or I'm pretty sure it would be failing now.
Mrs. Fish is in telecom. Specifically, she can offer work-from-home solutions. We're sharing an office at home for the time being. The phone is ringing.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

"Macau is open again", according to the CEO of MGM.
Derek Cressman
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:18 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:15 pm I think there are positives, at least selfishly.

Millenial generation doing WFH successfully could change my day-to-day, and I'm loving that restaurants are finally jumping on board being able to order takeout online.

And it gets worse the greater the distance/time is between said restaurant and where you eat the food.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Feral wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:21 pm "Macau is open again", according to the CEO of MGM.
So...in the places where the virus has peaked, can we now officially start calling it "the first peak" or is that too pessimistic?

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:17 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 pm and business trips be skype appointments. There’s so many more efficient ways to communicate any more.
Yeah, but that sucks. The whole reason to go to a conference is to go someplace cool and then sneak off to do something fun.
oh I get the fun of it. And making a career out of the tourism industry depends on it.

but much of the networking of a conference can be done electronically. And that would go a long way in the context of reducing carbon consumption - and reducing the spread of pathogens.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:21 pm

And it gets worse the greater the distance/time is between said restaurant and where you eat the food.
Yes. Some things are fine obviously. Lots of Asian and Mexican. Some Italian.

But, like, hot sandwiches? Anything fried? Traditional American protein+vegetable+starch? All, generally, bad.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:22 pm
Feral wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:21 pm "Macau is open again", according to the CEO of MGM.
So...in the places where the virus has peaked, can we now officially start calling it "the first peak" or is that too pessimistic?
Good question. If I had to bet, I'd bet yes, but who knows?

Like you, I haven't seen the "strong seasonality" evidence, yet.
Derek Cressman
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yes, but more restaurants using the technology will open up more of that 25% of restaurants that can do takeout well. Just hope they keep doing it after dine in is back on.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:27 pm

getting accurate anything from China is a lost cause.

But I'm curious how S. Korea, Singapore, etc. -- places that HAD the virus but quickly suppressed -- will do upon reopening. If the first Imperial College report is correct, then there will be a second wave, with infections possibly worse than the first wave. All of which is to say that again, we have the immeasurable benefit of a crystal ball.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:49 am
Grandma wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:00 am
chiknbut wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:15 am

How about some shitbag doesn't use a pandemic as the basis of an April Fool's joke?
That would be nice but there will always be shitbags in the world who exist.
For that reason and many others, I am a skeptical person.
Not saying you're a shitbag (because you're not) but yesterday I was skeptical about your post regarding Kroger. I then spent 30 seconds to find the truth.
Last night I was skeptical about something that someone posted in regards to people getting their "food stamp" funds on the first of the month. I spent 30 seconds to find the truth.
This morning I was skeptical about something that someone posted about Hillary. I spent 30 seconds to find the truth.
Point of my saying this is, we live in such a fucking gullible society. Pretty much anyone has the ability to post something on social media and often they post things that are simply not true - without fear of repercussion/s.
It's frightening to me.
Couldn't be bothered to look a CNBC article, though.
Hey shitbag - I looked at it and I read it, though.
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

Vega wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:13 pm

My company is also talking about making permanent options for WFH. In Manhattan, we have I think four different buildings that we rent space in. I work at the corporate headquarters, and I know we have at least seven floors in my building, maybe more. I could absolutely see us closing up some of the floors and having a more open floor plan for other departments.
I could very much see an outcome where firms don't have enough offices for every person to have their own space, and what happens is some/all people need to "sign up" for office space in any given day/week/whatever.
We already have a trading floor set up (common in NY) so it would just be grabbing a desk when in the office if it ever came to that. I would love the option to spend 2-3 days in the office, then 2-3 days at home. I have duties that are hard to do in the office, and duties that are hard to do at home.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:30 pm
Feral wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:27 pm

getting accurate anything from China is a lost cause.

But I'm curious how S. Korea, Singapore, etc. -- places that HAD the virus but quickly suppressed -- will do upon reopening. If the first Imperial College report is correct, then there will be a second wave, with infections possibly worse than the first wave. All of which is to say that again, we have the immeasurable benefit of a crystal ball.
Isn't Singapore already seeing indications of this ( a second spike)?

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Gutter, you OK? Need to step back and take a breath?
Broham
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:43 pm Gutter, you OK? Need to step back and take a breath?
No, I'm not ok.
Yes, I need to step back and take a breath.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Then step back and take a breath.
Broham
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 pm If there’s a silver lining, it’s that more work-from-home culture stands to make a massive dent in carbon consumption?

At the end of the day, many meetings can actually be emails, and business trips be skype appointments. There’s so many more efficient ways to communicate any more.
the drop in air pollution across the globe during this mess has been a thing to behold. i’ve seen it first hand here in SLC, where the air quality is some of the worst in the country, if not across the globe, during the winter (especially if we’ve got an inversion)