Movies You Get Made Fun Of

Coffee talk.
HouseDivided

Re: Movies You Get Made Fun Of

Post by HouseDivided »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:21 pm I've never seen Napoleon Dynamite.
You’re not missing anything.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ChalkRocker wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:41 pm Are you making fun of me?
No, not at all!

I think Napoleon Dynamite is hilarious. It’s so deadpan and weird at first, but then you get it and the brilliance shines. 99 you’d like it too, you should see it. Don’t listen to psych. Heck, psych you should watch it again. The first time I saw it I only laughed at one line, but now it’s faves, right up there with Shawshank Redemption.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:10 am
No, not at all!

I think Napoleon Dynamite is hilarious. It’s so deadpan and weird at first, but then you get it and the brilliance shines. 99 you’d like it too, you should see it. Don’t listen to psych. Heck, psych you should watch it again. The first time I saw it I only laughed at one line, but now it’s faves, right up there with Shawshank Redemption.
There in lies the genius of it.

My wife and I were big fans and showed it to her sister for the first time one night. She just sat there with this uncomfortable look on her face. Then I remembered, that's how I felt when I first saw it.

Not surprised Psych doesn't like it.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:28 am
No, not at all!

My wife and I were big fans and showed it to her sister for the first time one night. She just sat there with this uncomfortable look on her face. Then I remembered, that's how I felt when I first saw it.

Forgive me if I don’t find Asperger’s funny.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:42 am

No, not at all!

I didn't realize that you tied your enjoyment of movies to psychological diagnosis. Do explain to me Step Brothers and pretty much every Will Farrel movie.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:10 pm

I didn't realize that you tied your enjoyment of movies to psychological diagnosis. Do explain to me Step Brothers and pretty much every Will Farrel movie.
Humor is basically taking existing schemata and making small modifications that make us stop and reconsider. Napoleon Dynamite is just saying “Hey, look at the weird kid.” Most of Will Ferrell’s movies are guilty of the same. I don’t care for those, either.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:30 pm

Humor is basically taking existing schemata and making small modifications that make us stop and reconsider. Napoleon Dynamite is just saying “Hey, look at the weird kid.” Most of Will Ferrell’s movies are guilty of the same. I don’t care for those, either.
You forgot the part about how these movies are are "made up comedic nonsense."

You just listed Step Brothers as a movie you like (it's on the first page of this thread, if you need a refresher). Yet you seem to have trouble enjoying movies based on a psychological diagnosis. But you like Step Brothers.

I understand why you can't explain this.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Psych and I don't agree on a lot on this board, but one we do is movie tastes. Has one of the best on the board.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:58 pm Psych and I don't agree on a lot on this board, but one we do is movie tastes. Has one of the best on the board.
So you don't like Napoleon Dynamite because it's making fun of someone with Asperger's?

One of the many, many things I don't get about Psych is how someone, especially someone who is well educated, can throw around the word "retard" as a synonym for "stupid" and yet rush to the defense of a fictional movie character that he has personally diagnosed as "Asperger's."

But hey, I guess that's just me.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:37 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:30 pm

You forgot the part about how these movies are are "made up comedic nonsense."

You just listed Step Brothers as a movie you like (it's on the first page of this thread, if you need a refresher). Yet you seem to have trouble enjoying movies based on a psychological diagnosis. But you like Step Brothers.

I understand why you can't explain this.
I just did explain it.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:04 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:58 pm Psych and I don't agree on a lot on this board, but one we do is movie tastes. Has one of the best on the board.
So you don't like Napoleon Dynamite because it's making fun of someone with Asperger's?

One of the many, many things I don't get about Psych is how someone, especially someone who is well educated, can throw around the word "retard" as a synonym for "stupid" and yet rush to the defense of a fictional movie character that he has personally diagnosed as "Asperger's."

But hey, I guess that's just me.
I believe I apologized for using that word. If not, I apologize again. It hasn’t come out of my mouth in several years, and I deeply regret using it. I was a very unhappy person and said a lot of things that I shouldn’t have.

One of my best friends, whom I have just gotten to know in the last few years, has a son with Down Syndrome, and I can’t imagine saying something hurtful to him or his family today. That kid is just a treasure.

I also have several friends with kids who are on the spectrum as well. It’s just not funny to me, I guess. If it is to you, that’s none of my business.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Your mom goes to college.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:31 pm
Your mom goes to college.
Aren't we all Mom's Who go to College today?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I did not like Napoleon Dynamite at all. I dont see the humor. There are a couple of spots that i laughed but very few and far between.
Just Ledoux it
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:37 pm I did not like Napoleon Dynamite at all. I dont see the humor. There are a couple of spots that i laughed but very few and far between.
I did like the dance he does at the talent show, but that’s about it.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

It's silly to "diagnose" an absurdist movie character.

We probably all root for the right folks in N.D., probably for all the right reasons.

The replies on the last page or two are why (snif...) I had the courage to post N.D. on the "Movies you get made fun of" thread.

To stand for others where they fear to stand.*

*that's probably the best saying I've ever said...
Last edited by ChalkRocker on Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Also, thanks for not making fun of me, ousey.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mrs 99 is making fun of me for watching Ancient Aliens.
Broham
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I love that show.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Me 3
Just Ledoux it