Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
HouseDivided

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:32 am
HouseDivided wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:07 am
Grandma wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:32 am

If the mother fucker would take just a sliver of accountability for the things that he's truly fucked up it would make not everything but some things better. Would it not?
What would it make better? Serious question.
You're an educator. I am shocked you don't comprehend that people can actually learn from their mistakes - if they are capable of admitting and acknowledging that they have made a mistake.
If he were capable of doing as such, it just might make him realize that his narcissism doesn't make him a better person, it makes him a dangerous iagnorant fuck.
Let me clarify my question: what would it make better for you or me? Trump is a narcissist, yes, but his thought processes won’t have any immediate impact on the current crisis. Be honest, even if your wet dream come true and Trump ceased to exist, nothing is different when the sun comes up tomorrow.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:29 am
twocoach wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:20 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:14 am

That's a powerful argument from a guy who wanted the CDC to spend its time and resources on guns.
With the right amount of funding,I feel confident that the CDC could employ enough people to do those two things at the same time.
Good point.

Government has been starved these last few years.
American workers are American workers whether they are employed by the government or by some other company.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:40 am
HouseDivided wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:07 am

What would it make better? Serious question.
You're an educator. I am shocked you don't comprehend that people can actually learn from their mistakes - if they are capable of admitting and acknowledging that they have made a mistake.
If he were capable of doing as such, it just might make him realize that his narcissism doesn't make him a better person, it makes him a dangerous iagnorant fuck.
Let me clarify my question: what would it make better for you or me? Trump is a narcissist, yes, but his thought processes won’t have any immediate impact on the current crisis. Be honest, even if your wet dream come true and Trump ceased to exist, nothing is different when the sun comes up tomorrow.
That's ridiculous to say. You dont seriously believe this, do you? If Trump resigned tomorrow and an actual adult took his spot, there would be sweeping changes in countless areas.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:29 am
twocoach wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:20 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:14 am

That's a powerful argument from a guy who wanted the CDC to spend its time and resources on guns.
With the right amount of funding,I feel confident that the CDC could employ enough people to do those two things at the same time.
Good point.

Government has been starved these last few years.
Aw, cmon, DC, it was either Tea Party cuts to pandemic supplies or the reductions that Republicans like you have been jerking off about for years, cutting Medicare and Social Security.

From Geezer's article:

“Sequestration was conceived — not by Republicans, but by a Democratic White House — as a crude mechanism to compel the super committee to do its job. Republicans consistently advocated for reductions in mandatory spending programs that would have prevented sequestration from ever happening.” (Mandatory spending refers to entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare.)
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:07 am
TraditionKU wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:29 am as i’ve alluded to before...something isn’t right at the CDC

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/false ... emic-work/

somebody, or multiple people, got caught with their pants down and dropped the ball
Blame it on Trump. It will make everything better.
not what i did at all (or have done, really), but thanks for playing
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:45 am If we, as a country, are to emerge from this strengthened and better prepared for the next one, we must embrace the power of "AND." It's not a question of whether Trump fucked up OR the permanent bureaucracy fucked up. It's that Trump AND the CDC fucked up. It's that Trump AND the FDA fucked up. It's that the federal government AND the state governments fucked up.
Fine, agreed.

But I remain puzzled by the willingness - eagerness? - to deflect and minimize.

I think you and me are more aligned than separated, ideologically, but to me it is clear that we are, in this crisis, beyond a point where ideology matters. Or where it should, anyway.

Trump has more power than anyone else on earth to help mitigate what’s happening. And he’s failing.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Somebody posted this on LinkedIn. Here is a paper from 2007 on the SARS-CoV epidemic and its aftermath. It's a bit too technical for most here, with the exception of Trad and PhD, perhaps. But pay particular attention to the short section at the end of the paper, on page 683 titled "SHOULD WE BE READY FOR THE REEMERGENCE OF SARS?" - how prescient!

https://cmr.asm.org/content/cmr/20/4/660.full.pdf

The last sentences of the article: " Coronaviruses are well known to undergo genetic recombination (375), which may lead to new genotypes and outbreaks. The presence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb. The possibility of the reemergence of SARS and other novel viruses from animals or laboratories and therefore the need for preparedness should not be ignored."
Last edited by zsn on Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:45 am
HouseDivided wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:40 am

That's ridiculous to say. You dont seriously believe this, do you? If Trump resigned tomorrow and an actual adult took his spot, there would be sweeping changes in countless areas.
It changes nothing. You feel better because you feel like you got what you wanted, but then it is quickly replaced by the realization that we are still in the middle of the same shit storm.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:10 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:45 am If we, as a country, are to emerge from this strengthened and better prepared for the next one, we must embrace the power of "AND." It's not a question of whether Trump fucked up OR the permanent bureaucracy fucked up. It's that Trump AND the CDC fucked up. It's that Trump AND the FDA fucked up. It's that the federal government AND the state governments fucked up.
Fine, agreed.

I think you and me are more aligned than separated, ideologically, but to me it is clear that we are, in this crisis, beyond a point where ideology matters. Or where it should, anyway.

Trump has more power than anyone else on earth to help mitigate what’s happening. And he’s failing.
He is. I don't think there's really a debate about that.

I'm not sure what that admission gets us, though. Counterfactuals -- Obama woulda done this. Clinton woulda done that. Trump, if he had 'X', coulda done the other thing -- are pointless. Moreover, the choices we're presented with on a national political stage are not exactly encouraging. Even historical comparisons reveal myopia and prejudice more than anything else.

The truth is that this entire episode reveals the paradox of contemporary American society. On the one hand, the 'country class' insurgents -- the Tea Party and Trump supporters -- have undeniably damaged the institutions' ability to respond to crises, while on the other hand, those same insurgents have been proven absolutely and inarguably correct about the fecklesness and self-absorption of the ruling class.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:24 pm
Have you been paying attention to the likes of Psych and the entire Republican establishment????
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:26 pm
Have you been paying attention to the likes of Psych and the entire Republican establishment????
Take it up with them.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Fine, agreed.

I'm not sure what that admission gets us, though. Counterfactuals -- Obama woulda done this. Clinton woulda done that. Trump, if he had 'X', coulda done the other thing -- are pointless. Moreover, the choices we're presented with on a national political stage are not exactly encouraging. Even historical comparisons reveal myopia and prejudice more than anything else.

The truth is that this entire episode reveals the paradox of contemporary American society. On the one hand, the 'country class' insurgents -- the Tea Party and Trump supporters -- have undeniably damaged the institutions' ability to respond to crises, while on the other hand, those same insurgents have been proven absolutely and inarguably correct about the fecklesness and self-absorption of the ruling class.
Trouble with that deflection, DC, is that we can all see the difference that leadership makes as we watch Cuomo, Innslee, Newsom, Pritzker, Bell Edwards, DeWine and the "Fucking Moron" that you defend.
Don't inject Lysol.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

zsn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:26 pm
I am not defending the President. I am asking why people are wasting energy and other precious resources blaming and hating when it changes nothing. It’s silly and pointless. You get to vote in November. Say your piece at the ballot box.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

seahawk wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:53 pm

Fine, agreed.

Trouble with that deflection, DC, is that we can all see the difference that leadership makes as we watch Cuomo, Innslee, Newsom, Pritzker, Bell Edwards, DeWine and the "Fucking Moron" that you defend.
Nominate one of them, then. Or fully embrace federalism.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Or, Republicans could be insisting that the Fucking Moron resign, instead of defending him constantly, as you do.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

Haven't watched a live COVID-19 briefing of his in a few weeks. Watching it right now. He blamed the media, talked about the whistleblower for 15 minutes, and said we should all be taking hydroxychloroquine, with Fauci standing next to him.
Deleted User 307

Now talking about shaking hands for five minutes.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

seahawk wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:19 pm Or, Republicans could be insisting that the Fucking Moron resign, instead of defending him constantly, as you do.
Oh. OK.

I insist he resign.

Did that fix it?

You gonna pull together and support President Pence now, like fine, upstanding, healthy, normal, patriotic American boys?
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Vega, haven't listened to him that much recently, but Steve Schmidt is correct that Trump is absolutely rambling and incoherent.

He's also signaling that he's tired of listening to the experts and is getting ready to "Open the country back up."

ETA: Now he's giving medical advice.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 307

"hydroxychloroquine, try it, if you like."

Word-for-word a second ago.

Also, Trump hates ventilators