Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by Shirley »

sdoyel wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:03 pm Good news: My Sister N Law has been cleared by the CDC to resume normal activites.

Bad news: One of my best friends at work's wife lost her father to the virus in Ecuador.
Glad to hear that about your SIL, Doyle.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:26 pm
Yeah, but Trump . . .
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:28 pm
Yeah, but Trump . . .
"....firmly convinced..." has no place in science or science-based medicine. There was an urban legend about a sign in the FDA lobby which supposedly said "IN GOD WE TRUST. EVERYONE ELSE BRINGS DATA"

He may be right, but may not be........that is hardly the point, is it? He's likely about as much evidence as I have that the COVID-19 is the Flying Sphagetti Monster's revenge on those who do not appreciate The Powers of His Noodly Appendages
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

good lord.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:37 pm
Yeah, but Trump . . .
"....firmly convinced..." has no place in science or science-based medicine. There was an urban legend about a sign in the FDA lobby which supposedly said "IN GOD WE TRUST. EVERYONE ELSE BRINGS DATA"

He may be right, but may not be........that is hardly the point, is it? He's likely about as much evidence as I have that the COVID-19 is the Flying Sphagetti Monster's revenge on those who do not appreciate The Powers of His Noodly Appendages
Come on zsn, what more evidence do you need? Someone took a medication, and they got better. Do you deny that?

Just ignore that even when people don't take any medication, they have an ~ 80% chance of getting better, anyway.
Last edited by Shirley on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

In New York City, an intensive care nurse treated patients for three days after she started displaying symptoms of COVID-19 - but couldn’t get a test from her hospital. In Georgia, a nurse was denied a test after treating an infected patient who died.

In Michigan, one of the few hospital systems conducting widespread staff testing found that more than 700 workers were infected with the coronavirus - more than a quarter of those tested.

More than a month after the pandemic hit the United States, the persistent test shortages mean that health workers are treating patients while experiencing mild symptoms that could signal they are infected themselves, according to Reuters interviews with 13 nurses and 2 doctors who described testing shortages at their hospitals.

Many medical centers are testing only the workers with the most severe symptoms, according to the frontline workers and hospital officials. As a result, nurses and doctors risk infecting patients, colleagues and their families without knowing they are carrying the virus, medical experts say.

The New York City nurse works at Mount Sinai Hospital, a major institution in the national epicenter of the pandemic. Her nausea, upset stomach and low-grade fever did not qualify her to get a test in late March, she told Reuters on condition of anonymity. She continued to work because her fever - at 100.2 degrees Fahrenheit (37.9 Celsius) - was just below the threshold set by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for sending health workers home.

But she had the virus, an infection she confirmed when she took it upon herself to get tested at a private clinic, she said.

[...]
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Derek Cressman
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Some good questions in this guy’s thread.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Warning: Not about Trump or hydroxychloroquine.

A followup interview. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/928156

Some other commentary:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/po ... re-1302422
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

More of this, please:

As states across the country beg for ventilators to help patients suffering with respiratory issues from COVID-19, the University of Mississippi Medical Center is building its own makeshift ventilators with supplies found at a hardware store.

Dr. Charles Robertson, a UMMC pediatric anesthesiologist and the mastermind behind the idea, said he set out to make the "absolute simplest ventilator we can build with parts available in any city; you don't need special tools to put together and can be done quickly as the need arises."

Made with "primarily a garden hose, a lamp timer and electronic valve," the ventilator, named the Robertson Ventilator, for less than $100, can be assembled in approximately 20 to 30 minutes, meaning a dedicated team of four to five could produce nearly 100 in a day if needed, he said.

[...]
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Coolest!

11) I’ve had the pleasure, as Co-Principal Investigator of a Danish randomized trial, of working with scientists from Faroe Islands and scientists at the Denmark’s CDC
- they are incredibly sharp and organized agency. They also eat their salmon, fish oil, & vitamin D!
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Yeah, but Trump . . .
Time out!
I have the feeling you believe that people on here hope Trump is NOT "right" that hydroxychloroquine MAY or even DOES work as a "miracle" drug. If there are people who hope is not right - SHAME ON THEM.
I can only speak for myself but I believe the "argument" isn't if Trump is right so much as it's he is not a doctor, and he's pushing a medication as a "miracle drug" without the complete support of the medical people who are "experts", and he appointed to his "task force", to address the nation (and the World) in terms of their medical "expertise".
I find it interesting that Trump feels the need to boast in practically all (if not all) of his pressers that he "closed the border to people coming from China". Sometimes completely out of context to a question.
I believe it's one of just a few things he actually feels he can and should give himself credit for doing during this crisis. If "his" doing that has saved even a single life, kudos to him.
Another thing he is loving is to talk about is hydroxychloroquine. I don't doubt that hydroxychloroquine has helped save lives and I am genuinely thrilled if it has.
My new issue is that now he goes in to pressers and blows himself while expressing that people are giving HIM credit for their being given hydroxychloroquine (yes, I am rolling my eyes and shaking my head). How often has he mentioned that now there is a shortage for those who have been taking it for other "ailments"? How often has he mentioned those who were given hydroxychloroquine and may not and/or didn't survive?
Fuck it, I guess I should just be grateful that our nation's "Cheerleader" in Chief is cheerleading.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 am
Yeah, but Trump . . .
Time out!
I have the feeling you believe that people on here hope Trump is NOT "right" that hydroxychloroquine MAY or even DOES work as a "miracle" drug. If there are people who hope is not right - SHAME ON THEM.
I can only speak for myself but I believe the "argument" isn't if Trump is right so much as it's he is not a doctor, and he's pushing a medication as a "miracle drug" without the complete support of the medical people who are "experts", and he appointed to his "task force", to address the nation (and the World) in terms of their medical "expertise".
I find it interesting that Trump feels the need to boast in practically all (if not all) of his pressers that he "closed the border to people coming from China". Sometimes completely out of context to a question.
I believe it's one of just a few things he actually feels he can and should give himself credit for doing during this crisis. If "his" doing that has saved even a single life, kudos to him.
Another thing he is loving is to talk about is hydroxychloroquine. I don't doubt that hydroxychloroquine has helped save lives and I am genuinely thrilled if it has.
My new issue is that now he goes in to pressers and blows himself while expressing that people are giving HIM credit for their being given hydroxychloroquine (yes, I am rolling my eyes and shaking my head). How often has he mentioned that now there is a shortage for those who have been taking it for other "ailments"? How often has he mentioned those who were given hydroxychloroquine and may not and/or didn't survive?
Fuck it, I guess I should just be grateful that our nation's "Cheerleader" in Chief is cheerleading.
I don’t care who gets credit. I just want this crap to be over. Too many people are playing politics and are scaring and depressing people unnecessarily while screwing up the economy. Enough is enough.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

saw this graphic on another forum...figure it goes better here than the bbq thread:

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Very convincing. Have you seen a similar sentiment expressed with burning matches where one sets the next one on fire and so on, then someone takes one away...........
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This is a much better illustration of the exponential growth of spread.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I am speechless. This is, genuinely, a Good Tweet:

Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I assume many of you who have children might appreciate this.