Therapy

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

Re: Therapy

Post by Deleted User 289 »

99 reminded me I have had some good luck and bad luck with both personal and couple's therapists.
One couple's therapist sent me a text saying she wanted to see me separately and my "ex" went bat shit fucking crazy. The therapist had ZERO "romantic" interest in me. Just felt it would be good to get some insight from me opening up without the "ex" being their to manipulate me.
Meanwhile, my "ex" had no problem speaking with OUR female "couples" therapist separately from me.

Back to ousy......
I have found the best therapists are those who are very good listeners and encourage you to listen to yourself - but are able to help you talk and listen to yourself.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:18 pm It's not your fault.
Pdub wins the thread with the Good Will Hunting reference. I always jokingly tell my students that doing therapy is easy: you listen for a few minutes, say "It's not your fault," they break down and cry, you hug them, and their problem is solved. Anyone can do it.

Therapy is really easy to get right now. If you can't get out, most of us offer telehealth over Zoom-type formats. We are also considered essential workers, so most offices are open normal hours if you want an excuse to get out.

My basic rule of thumb is that if you are asking if you need it, you should go talk to somebody. Some people figure out during the first session that they can work through their stuff with a good friend, while others end up working through some pretty deep stuff that ends up radically changing their life.

Contrary to popular opinion, most of us are NOT out to get you to come back 250 times. We are trained to help you identify and deal with the problem in a minimal number of sessions - my average is between six and eight, although a majority choose to keep coming back because they like having a sounding board.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:06 pm
zsn wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:04 pm Am I the only one who looks at the word "therapist" and reads it as two words, a person you should definitely stay away from.....I apologize if you cannot unsee it.
The world's first Analrapist. Classic running gag in Arrested Development.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:04 pm Am I the only one who looks at the word "therapist" and reads it as two words, a person you should definitely stay away from.....I apologize if you cannot unsee it.
Is there a penalty for plagiarizing Darrell Hammond?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Honestly don't recall that particular instance of the Jeopardy sketches (connected the dots from Ousie's other post). Although I do recall other ones, like the misreading of An Album Cover.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
shindig

Post by shindig »

No wonder you guys ran Vega off...life isn't always a joke. A lot of people struggle inside, but come off as a well adjusted person with their shit together, whether in person or on a message board. We all have our demons, thinking it will just go away usually doesn't work in the long run. Best to talk to someone and get things in perspective.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

shindig wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:13 pm No wonder you guys ran Vega off...life isn't always a joke. A lot of people struggle inside, but come off as a well adjusted person with their shit together, whether in person or on a message board. We all have our demons, thinking it will just go away usually doesn't work in the long run. Best to talk to someone and get things in perspective.
I agree with you, but ousdahl's a joker. And, a joker needs to be able to take a joke, or, they need therapy.
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the societal stigma against seeing mental health professionals has lead too many to not seek help
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:43 pm 99 reminded me I have had some good luck and bad luck with both personal and couple's therapists.
One couple's therapist sent me a text saying she wanted to see me separately and my "ex" went bat shit fucking crazy. The therapist had ZERO "romantic" interest in me. Just felt it would be good to get some insight from me opening up without the "ex" being their to manipulate me.
Meanwhile, my "ex" had no problem speaking with OUR female "couples" therapist separately from me.

Back to ousy......
I have found the best therapists are those who are very good listeners and encourage you to listen to yourself - but are able to help you talk and listen to yourself.
It is not a good idea to talk to individual members of a couple separately without the consent of both parties. I always suggest it while talking to both of them and let them know why and what will be discussed. If one is uncomfortable, we don't do it. And I would never text anyone I am seeing in therapy.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:24 pm
shindig wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:13 pm No wonder you guys ran Vega off...life isn't always a joke. A lot of people struggle inside, but come off as a well adjusted person with their shit together, whether in person or on a message board. We all have our demons, thinking it will just go away usually doesn't work in the long run. Best to talk to someone and get things in perspective.
I agree with you, but ousdahl's a joker. And, a joker needs to be able to take a joke, or, they need therapy.
Hey, fuck you too pal...I mean, but I can take a joke!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Among other things, I still have no real career direction. I think fixing this could resolve a lot of other issues along the way.

I remember talking to a career counselor in college about how I didn’t want to finish business school. The convo pretty much went something like, “well what DO you wanna do? Anything is possible blah blah blah, what’s the most ambitious career goal you’d want to pursue?”

“Start a new religion!”

“Oh...uh...well...that sure is ambitious, but...uh...the thing is...have you considered just sticking to business school?”

But yeah, where it got real weird is lately when my dad, who has always otherwise maintained there is no worthwhile education besides business school, is now suddenly pushing me to go back and get a biology degree?
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:03 pm
Grandma wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:43 pm 99 reminded me I have had some good luck and bad luck with both personal and couple's therapists.

Back to ousy......
It is not a good idea to talk to individual members of a couple separately without the consent of both parties. I always suggest it while talking to both of them and let them know why and what will be discussed. If one is uncomfortable, we don't do it. And I would never text anyone I am seeing in therapy.
Completely understand and that's exactly how I feel it should be.
shindig

Post by shindig »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:01 pm the societal stigma against seeing mental health professionals has lead too many to not seek help
I don't agree with that. If anything, more people are seeking help from medical professionals whether physical or mental, especially men.

And quite honestly, if somebody thinks it's weird you see a therapist or psychiatrist or whomever, then screw them. Most companies now urge their employees to seek help if needed or just need someone to talk to and generally the company pays for initial visits.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

shindig wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:56 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:01 pm the societal stigma against seeing mental health professionals has lead too many to not seek help
I don't agree with that. If anything, more people are seeking help from medical professionals whether physical or mental, especially men.

And quite honestly, if somebody thinks it's weird you see a therapist or psychiatrist or whomever, then screw them. Most companies now urge their employees to seek help if needed or just need someone to talk to and generally the company pays for initial visits.
currently that’s definitely the case

i don’t think historically it’s been that way. my perception is that the view towards mental health has changed quite dramatically over the past decade or so

i could be wrong, or it could just be my perception having gone through things myself
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:16 pmi don’t think historically it’s been that way. my perception is that the view towards mental health has changed quite dramatically over the past decade or so
One of a few positive millennial contributions to society.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:27 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:16 pmi don’t think historically it’s been that way. my perception is that the view towards mental health has changed quite dramatically over the past decade or so
Nah.

It was Terry Bradshaw.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:27 pm
There's no question that things have changed, for the better.

Thomas Francis Eagleton (September 4, 1929 – March 4, 2007) was a United States senator from Missouri, serving from 1968 to 1987. He is best remembered for briefly being the Democratic vice presidential nominee under George McGovern in 1972. He suffered from bouts of depression throughout his life, resulting in several hospitalizations, which were kept secret from the public. When they were revealed, it humiliated the McGovern campaign and Eagleton was forced to quit the race.

...In 1972, Richard Nixon appeared unbeatable. When McGovern won the Democratic nomination for President, virtually all of the high-profile Democrats, including Ted Kennedy, Walter Mondale, Hubert Humphrey, Edmund Muskie,[15] and Birch Bayh, turned down offers to run on the ticket. McGovern had been convinced that Kennedy would join the ticket. Kennedy ended up refusing. McGovern campaign manager Gary Hart suggested Boston Mayor Kevin White. McGovern called White, and received "an emphatic yes", but the leader of the Massachusetts delegation, Ken Galbraith, said the Massachusetts delegation would walk out if the announcement was made to the Convention that McGovern had chosen White as his vice-presidential candidate, as White had backed Muskie during the Massachusetts primary. Massachusetts ended up being the only state (along with the District of Columbia) that McGovern would carry in the Electoral College on election day.

McGovern then asked Abe Ribicoff, who declined, and Senator Gaylord Nelson to be his running mate. Nelson also declined, but suggested Tom Eagleton, whom McGovern ultimately chose, with only a minimal background check, as had been customary for vice presidential selections up until that time.[16][17] Eagleton made no mention of his earlier hospitalizations, and in fact decided with his wife to keep them secret from McGovern while he was flying to his first meeting with the presidential nominee.

Replacement on the ticket

On July 25, 1972, just over two weeks after the 1972 Democratic Convention, Eagleton admitted the truth of news reports that he had received electroshock therapy for clinical depression during the 1960s. McGovern initially said he would back Eagleton "1000 percent". Subsequently, McGovern consulted confidentially with preeminent psychiatrists, including Eagleton's own doctors, who advised him that a recurrence of Eagleton's depression was possible and could endanger the country should Eagleton become president.[18][19][20][21][22] On August 1, nineteen days after being nominated, Eagleton withdrew at McGovern's request and, after a new search by McGovern, was replaced by Sargent Shriver, former U.S. Ambassador to France, and former (founding) Director of the Peace Corps and the Office of Economic Opportunity.[23]

[...]
Derek Cressman