Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Freemium games

Post by ousdahl »

how is this a viable business model?
chiknbut

Re: Freemium games

Post by chiknbut »

I just found my old CD for Doom II. Was so excited to give that bad boy another try.

So old it doesn't work on my computer. I was crushed.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So for the first time in the history of me having a smart phone, I started downloading games. Chalk it up to quarantine boardom I guess.

With damn near every game, you play a couple levels then it starts pushing you to buy stuff; nickel and diming you for more lives, better gear, stuff you need to keep playing.

And that not to mention you’re getting bombarded with ads after every level.

And the gameplay/interface/graphics etc aren’t even necessarily that good a lot of the time either.

But apparently folks keep pumping cash into these apps?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Well, they're incredibly cheap to make, and all you really need is a tiny subset of your user base that spends meaningful money.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"how is this a viable business model?"

"...starts pushing you to buy stuff; nickel and diming you for more lives, better gear, stuff you need to keep playing. And that not to mention you’re getting bombarded with ads after every level."

Answered your own question.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well, I guess within my question was this incredulous wrapping of my mind around the idea that anyone would actually pay for that shit.

and I wonder what the ad revenue is like either way, cuz there might be even more obtrusive commercialization there than on boards.kusports.com.

If I was doing it, I would either focus on the ad revenue, or on the pay-to-play premium option with no ads. but I'm surprised consumers have put up with both, cuz apparently the products are still around.

*deletes games from phone* anywho so now I'm bored.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

People pay to watch other people play dumb fucking video games. People will pay for some odd things.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:00 pm People pay to watch other people play dumb fucking video games. People will pay for some odd things.
this might be one of the most absolutely batshit crazy things that’s happened recently

i’ll never understand how it can be so enjoyable watching someone else play

i used to do it in-person, but that was only because i had to wait for someone to die so i could get my turn
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, the only good reason anyone should have to watch anyone else playing video games is if your weed dealer is being a douche and won’t hook you up until he finishes the level.

And even then, joke’s still on you, cuz all that means is it’s time to grow up and move to a recreational state like a normal adult.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:05 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:00 pm People pay to watch other people play dumb fucking video games. People will pay for some odd things.
this might be one of the most absolutely batshit crazy things that’s happened recently

i used to do it in-person, but that was only because i had to wait for someone to die so i could get my turn
Yep. We used to fight for our turns. Usually we'd go do something else until iur turn was up. I dont understand the joy in watching someone else play. Moreover, i cannot fathom the amount of money some of these people are getting paid to play video games, it is insane.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:53 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:05 pm

Yep. We used to fight for our turns. Usually we'd go do something else until iur turn was up. I dont understand the joy in watching someone else play. Moreover, i cannot fathom the amount of money some of these people are getting paid to play video games, it is insane.
You always hear that people who watch stock car racing do it because they hope to see a wreck.

Do people who watch competitive video gaming hope one of the contestants will maybe get a blister on their thumb?

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well you also got factor in that nascar fans are all hammered.

That begs the question: do game watching competitions have any sort of good tailgating scene?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:48 pm yeah, the only good reason anyone should have to watch anyone else playing video games is if your weed dealer is being a douche and won’t hook you up until he finishes the level.

And even then, joke’s still on you, cuz all that means is it’s time to grow up and move to a recreational state like a normal adult.
This sounds very first person.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

chiknbut wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:26 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:48 pm yeah, the only good reason anyone should have to watch anyone else playing video games is if your weed dealer is being a douche and won’t hook you up until he finishes the level.

This sounds very first person.
whoa, really?!

I can't believe someone thinks I sound like an adult!

and a normal one, too!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

No one said that. Your about a person at a dealers house who needs to start acting more like an adult and less like an adolescent. Not a normal adult.
Just Ledoux it
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

You"re
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

this discussion turned weird and childish
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Thats odd. Yes, you're, thank you geezer.
Just Ledoux it
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Still wondering when some kind soul is going to chime in and let me know how I can play Doom II again.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »