Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by DCHawk1 »

So...What does Cuomo mean by "the same evil we saw on 9/11?" Poor choice of words? Or is he making an accusation?

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

defixione wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:47 pm I heard that report on NPR the other day by one of the authors. Seems that the only thing they weren't accurate about was the location of the initial outbreak. They forecasted Chicago not Seattle.
Why Chicago?

And they were also, thankfully enough, wrong in their prediction of civil disorder.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:45 pm
defixione wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:47 pm I heard that report on NPR the other day by one of the authors. Seems that the only thing they weren't accurate about was the location of the initial outbreak. They forecasted Chicago not Seattle.
Why Chicago?

And they were also, thankfully enough, wrong in their prediction of civil disorder.
So far?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

good point.

*pokes DC in the eye and takes his toilet paper*
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Real sign in real Chicago restaurant.

Deleted User 289

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:45 pm So...What does Cuomo mean by "the same evil we saw on 9/11?" Poor choice of words? Or is he making an accusation?

Good question. Do you think our Surgeon General might be qualified to give a good response to it?
I'm going to go with poor choice of words.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:42 pm If true, HUGE. (A big IF, of course)

https://chicagocitywire.com/stories/530 ... s-antibody

A phlebotomist working at Roseland Community Hospital said Thursday that 30% to 50% of patients tested for the coronavirus have antibodies while only around 10% to 20% of those tested have the active virus.

Sumaya Owaynat, a phlebotomy technician, said she tests between 400 and 600 patients on an average day in the parking lot at Roseland Community Hospital. Drive-thru testing is from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. each day. However, the hospital has a limited number of tests they can give per day.

Owaynat said the number of patients coming through the testing center who appear to have already had coronavirus and gotten over it is far greater than those who currently have the disease.
That would be huge. Let's hope she's right.

In the mid-80s between my first and second year of medical school, I was a phlebotomy tech in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at KU Med. The possibility that I would in any capacity whatsoever have been in contact, let alone discussing lab results with a member of the media is unimaginable, much less than zero. Of course, I wasn't working in parking lot during a pandemic, but still...
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:45 pm So...What does Cuomo mean by "the same evil we saw on 9/11?" Poor choice of words? Or is he making an accusation?

It’s code for “camel jockeys”.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:48 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:45 pm
Why Chicago?

So far?
If they don’t get the economy back up and running the first week of May, you will see major civil unrest. Guaranteed.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:38 pm
In the mid-80s between my first and second year of medical school, I was a phlebotomy tech in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at KU Med. The possibility that I would in any capacity whatsoever have been in contact, let alone discussing lab results with a member of the media is unimaginable, much less than zero. Of course, I wasn't working in parking lot during a pandemic, but still...
That's the part I wondered about too. Seems like something the hospital would be genuinely unhappy about -- whether or not it's a technical privacy violation.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

this strikes me almost like he's trying to personify the virus?

but yeah, either way a weird way to put it
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:15 pm https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... ast-summer

In a remarkably prophetic report last summer, the Federal Emergency Management Agency accurately predicted that a nationwide pandemic would result in a shortage of medical supplies, hospitals would be overwhelmed and the economy would shut down...
One could almost imagine that it was a planned and orchestrated event, brought about for a purpose that would benefit the perpetrators.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:12 pm

this strikes me almost like he's trying to personify the virus?

but yeah, either way a weird way to put it
The evil part? No. People use anthropomorphism all the time. Nothing weird about that.

Equating randomness to 9/11, however, is odd and wrong.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Two separate research projects suggest that the novel coronavirus may have been circulating in New York City earlier than thought and the earliest cases likely originated with travelers coming from Europe and other parts of the United States, not Asia.

The new data come from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and the NYU Grossman School of Medicine.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/health/n ... index.html
Don't inject Lysol.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

seahawk wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:38 pm Two separate research projects suggest that the novel coronavirus may have been circulating in New York City earlier than thought and the earliest cases likely originated with travelers coming from Europe and other parts of the United States, not Asia.

The new data come from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and the NYU Grossman School of Medicine.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/health/n ... index.html
Same in California. Stanford is conducting a study to ascertain this. A friend is convinced that he had this virus and not the flu in mid January. They are theorizing that we have been exposed since November as we had thousands of travelers from China coming here. We had 26 daily widebody flights to and from Asia just at SFO.
Deleted User 289

sdoyel wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:25 pm
"We have parts of the country that are in phenomenal shape already".
Why do I have the feeling that many of the places that Trump claims are in "phenomenal shape (already?)" haven't been hit with the virus - yet?