Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by PhDhawk »

zsn wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:24 pm
Feral wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:01 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:50 pm I don't like it.

If you think there's a covid wealth divide, this will exacerbate it.
^^^

The government needs to step up big with widespread free testing and treatment, and unemployment benefits so people who aren't immune are not incentivized to break the rules and work before it's safe.
I don't know if there are any epidemiologists on this board but we have some smart people who work in somewhat overlapping fields or may have had coffee with (or slept with :) ) one. I was wondering about the lack of available test kits and had a thought about something the blood banks used to do during the early days of AIDS. Would "pooled testing" work in this case? For those who are not familiar with this concept (or know of it by another name) this is the way it works. It's not unlike the puzzle where you have a 1000 coins and one is defective and all you have is a two-pan balance; you are asked to find the defective one with a minimum number of weighings.

You combine a certain number of samples, let's say 25, and subject it to the test. If it tests negative then you haven't wasted 25 kits testing each one individually. If it tests positive you use this combinatorial matrix (some kid back in the day wrote an alogrithm for this) and combine subset of samples in a particular way and then test those. Typically you aliquot the samples initially so that you don't have to go back to the original samples. You then test these and based on the results of which subsamples come out positive you then run the deconvolution program and test a few final samples to determine the actual positives. These can be turned around quickly and will use a lot fewer test kits. The statistics of how many to pool etc are quite straightforward (for epidemiologists) and there can be a very high throughput. We use this in many other areas where quick yes/no answers are needed in short period and efficiently.

Granted that you will have to have a large sample size available simultaneously for this to work, but I believe that we are already there.
Yes, you can do this.

I saw one place was pooling tests. I forget where or what the source was.

They were doing pools of 10.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:26 pmmy wife and i can’t get tested, even though she’s mildly symptomatic and we’ve got two co-workers that are positive
My friend's mom was just diagnosed with COVID-19 a couple of days ago.

Hospital sent her home with no overnight stay, though, because she wasn't sick enough, even though she felt poorly. Said they need to save the ventilators and beds.

Oh, and she was never tested, the hospital ran out of tests.

How and why'd they dx her? Observation, review of sxs, and an RSV test.

This is a major and well-funded hospital in KC.

In other words: 1. mildly sxs and you're likely a long-shot from getting tested and 2. Don't believe the fucking confirmed case numbers.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

CNB - I watch the "task force" briefings/pressers almost every day in their entirety.
They continue to try and convince the public that there are PLENTY of tests available.
Shit, a month ago our President said anyone who wants a test can get one.
So why did he say that if he knew it wasn't true? If he believed it to be true, who told him that?

My 86 year old mother who has had multiple cancer/s, went through extensive radiation, is missing a 1/3 of her right lung, has Emphysema, has autoimmune deficiency, etc., etc., etc., spoke with her Internist today.
He's affiliated with Northwestern Hospital.
She asked him if she's symptomatic what is she supposed to do. His response, "Call my office".
She said/asked, "I shouldn't go to the hospital"? He said, "Unless you are having difficulty breathing, no". She already has "difficulty breathing" due to her medical condition/s.
I was harsh and told her she basically has to wait until the virus destroys her, she can't breath at all, and she's as good as dead, before she can be directly treated in person by a medical professional at Northwestern.

We live in the 3rd biggest city in the country, we have one of the best hospitals in country within 2 blocks of her and I, and that's the story I'm telling on 4/10/20.
Unfreakingbelievable!
Last edited by Deleted User 289 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

‘murica
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Less than 200 deaths behind Italy.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man. Definitely a lot of traffic in town this evening. Folks that just don’t look local. Makes me nervous.
Deleted User 289

HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:00 pm Image
Classy gal.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:10 pm
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:43 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:59 am

It is becoming increasingly obvious that Dr. Fauci is controlled/paid by people who don't necessarily have the best interests of the people of the United States in mind. He lays out the worst case scenario as fact and then walks it back a few days later with the caveat that it will probably end up being the worst case scenario after all.
Or he readjusts his opinion when given new or additional information a few days later.
OK, assuming that is true, how is it different from what the POTUS does?
Fauci actually seems to form his opinion based on all of the information he receives. Trump just cherry picks the information he thinks supports his opinion and doesn't let it go until it's obvious he is wrong or he hears new info that supports his same opinion.
Deleted User 289

This kind of blew my mind.
A friend of mine lost her mother in the last couple of days.
Jewish people don't have "wakes", they have "shivas" at their homes after they bury their loved ones. People get together and they honor the person who passed away and give comfort to those who are grieving.

This was what my friend posted.....
Virtual Shiva with my brothers, sister, and all the grand kids. We shared stories, we laughed, and we honored a very unconventional mother and grandmother. Priceless! Until we can be together, this is the best we could do.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:32 pm This kind of blew my mind.
Jewish people don't have "wakes", they have "shivas" at their homes after they bury their loved ones. People get together and they honor the person who passed away and give comfort to those who are grieving.

Virtual Shiva with my brothers, sister, and all the grand kids. We shared stories, we laughed, and we honored a very unconventional mother and grandmother. Priceless! Until we can be together, this is the best we could do.

Wakes, gender reveals, shivas, birthdays, happy hours, athlete training. All via video conference. It's sad but we do what we have to do. I am at least glad we have some sort of technology that can allow people to stay somewhat close.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Isn’t traditional shiva sitting in silence? I’m not criticizing - just wondering if the tradition has changed.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

That's funny, Gutter. I'm hoping you and your Mom are OK.
Broham
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:15 pm
Classy gal.
In a basement somewhere, Leawood is frantically attempting to make her id.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

2,074 Americans died of Coronavirus yesterday, the most in one day so far.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick:

NEJM, April 10, 2020 Compassionate Use of Remdesivir for Patients with Severe Covid-19

Abstract

BACKGROUND

Remdesivir, a nucleotide analogue prodrug that inhibits viral RNA polymerases, has shown in vitro activity against SARS-CoV-2.

METHODS

We provided remdesivir on a compassionate-use basis to patients hospitalized with Covid-19, the illness caused by infection with SARS-CoV-2. Patients were those with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection who had an oxygen saturation of 94% or less while they were breathing ambient air or who were receiving oxygen support. Patients received a 10-day course of remdesivir, consisting of 200 mg administered intravenously on day 1, followed by 100 mg daily for the remaining 9 days of treatment. This report is based on data from patients who received remdesivir during the period from January 25, 2020, through March 7, 2020, and have clinical data for at least 1 subsequent day.

RESULTS

Of the 61 patients who received at least one dose of remdesivir, data from 8 could not be analyzed (including 7 patients with no post-treatment data and 1 with a dosing error). Of the 53 patients whose data were analyzed, 22 were in the United States, 22 in Europe or Canada, and 9 in Japan. At baseline, 30 patients (57%) were receiving mechanical ventilation and 4 (8%) were receiving extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. During a median follow-up of 18 days, 36 patients (68%) had an improvement in oxygen-support class, including 17 of 30 patients (57%) receiving mechanical ventilation who were extubated. A total of 25 patients (47%) were discharged, and 7 patients (13%) died; mortality was 18% (6 of 34) among patients receiving invasive ventilation and 5% (1 of 19) among those not receiving invasive ventilation.

CONCLUSIONS

In this cohort of patients hospitalized for severe Covid-19 who were treated with compassionate-use remdesivir, clinical improvement was observed in 36 of 53 patients (68%). Measurement of efficacy will require ongoing randomized, placebo-controlled trials of remdesivir therapy. (Funded by Gilead Sciences.)

[...]
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:20 am
HouseDivided wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:15 pm
Classy gal.
In a basement somewhere, Leawood is frantically attempting to make her id.
LOL! Truth.
Deleted User 289

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:43 pm

Wakes, gender reveals, shivas, birthdays, happy hours, athlete training. All via video conference. It's sad but we do what we have to do. I am at least glad we have some sort of technology that can allow people to stay somewhat close.
It's crazy that I know at least 10 people who have lost loved ones in the past couple of months. Most NOT to the virus but several probably to the virus.
Close family friend passed away and since the funeral was limited to 10 people, his wife "represented" his entire family. His brother, children, and grandchildren did NOT attend.
Yep, it's a much different time. One of the blessings and not the curses of technology on display in my photo.
Deleted User 289

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:49 pm
That's funny, Gutter. I'm hoping you and your Mom are OK.
Thank you!
Deleted User 289

HouseDivided wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:44 pm

Isn’t traditional shiva sitting in silence? I’m not criticizing - just wondering if the tradition has changed.
I probably should but I have no idea what Orthodox and Hassidic Jews do in terms of "sitting" shiva.
My guess is whatever they do - it's extreme.
As far as Conservative and Reform Jews, shit - I have been to shivas that were so elaborate and "festive" that you might mistake them for wedding celebrations.
That being said, I have also been to some that were as depressing and mundane as anything you could imagine.
Different strokes for different folks.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“Watching the federal government deal with covid-19 is like watching the ministry of magic deal with Voldemort’s return”