Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by TDub »

1. I've never voted for trump. But to think that the holier than thou attitude doesnt have an impact on voters is ignorant.

2. You should keep politics on the poli bored.

3. Nevermind, scratch #2. Please stick to only making a mess in the gamethreads. Feral already has the leftist twitter onslaught spot already covered.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:03 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:58 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:47 pm

The part where people actually want to work for a living? Weird, right?
Unbelievable. Good lord.
Why else do you think those poor people are protesting? Because their kids' track season got cancelled? Because they can't go to the monster truck rally? They are upset and desperate because they see their economic future being flushed down the toilet and the people who make the decisions are sitting in their ivory towers not giving a crap about them. A political coup is being waged and the working people are the collateral damage. It is shameful.
* Edited.

Forget it.
I made a comment about a percentage of the people "protesting" not giving a fuck about "their economic future being flushed down the toilet" and posted a video of a couple of clueless people who were interviewed.
Last edited by Deleted User 289 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:01 pm
Feral wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:12 pm Wow, look who's channeling Psych:

So, you're really going to argue that, if we stick with the ridiculous plan of "stay holed up for one more month" played out monthly for the next year, that no one else is going to die? Of course more people are going to die no matter what we due. It is a calculated risk to stay locked down and it is a calculated risk to open the economy up again. Some of us are willing to take that risk. Others want to crash the economy so they can influence the elections and let people die of other things like hunger, homelessness, and civil unrest, only stretched out over a decade or more. I'd argue that the latter is more disgraceful than the former.
Pro Tip, Psych. When you're making up the words to put in someone else's mouth, at least try to error toward the plausible. No one here, not even you, think that I think "that no one else is going to die", if we don't begin opening the country up now or in the near future. That's just dum. Opening your argument with a patently false premise doesn't help you, it makes you look desperate.

I don't blame you for being afraid, we're all afraid of the unknown, of feeling powerless and not knowing how this is going to play out. Ambiguity is a bitch. And while buying into conspiracy theories is emotionally satisfying, sating your distress by clinging to wholly ignorant conspiracy theories in an effort to conjure up a unifying theory to slake your fears du jour, is sad.

Open up our society now? Seriously?

The United States is #1 in the world for the number of COVID-19 infections. The other 4 members of the top 5 countries in the world, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain have fewer infections combined, than the United States has alone.

Two months ago, on Feb. 16th, not one person in the US had died of COVID-19.

One month ago, on March 16th, less than 90 people in the US had died of COVID-19.

One month later, April 16th, more than 34,000 Americans have died of COVID-19.

I know you're resistant to facts, to reality, but those numbers speak for themselves, so you have no excuse.

And speaking of "numbers", get a load of these. (Ah, to have a president that isn't a dumbshit.):

Please watch this:

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

What does Schlampig das Clown - Kaknöchels know?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:39 pm This is why trump got elected. I dont know how many times its been said but that post above is the type of dumb statement and attitude that keeps trumps hopes alive.
but there is some truth to it

obviously, not ALL republicans fall into that category, but we’ve got some pretty obvious examples right here on this site

and no, i don’t mean you
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:13 am
TDub wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:39 pm This is why trump got elected. I dont know how many times its been said but that post above is the type of dumb statement and attitude that keeps trumps hopes alive.

obviously, not ALL republicans fall into that category, but we’ve got some pretty obvious examples right here on this site

and no, i don’t mean you
Sure, and its true of nearly all demographics regardless of political leanings
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sure, nearly all political leanings might suggest some "the other side is dumb" kind of rhetoric.

but doesn't it seem like one political leaning in particular is more likely to employ the "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge" sort of attitude?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:14 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:13 am

and no, i don’t mean you
Sure, and its true of nearly all demographics regardless of political leanings
i could be wrong, but it seems notably worse with trump supporters

i don’t know what else to call it, when someone is willing to vote against their own and their countries’ best interest in order to “stick it to the libs”...it’s just dumb

and it isn’t a small proportion of voting republicans...it may not be a majority, but it is substantial

that’s all i’m gonna say...we can take it to the poli board
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:00 am
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:01 pm
Feral wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:12 pm Wow, look who's channeling Psych:

So, you're really going to argue that, if we stick with the ridiculous plan of "stay holed up for one more month" played out monthly for the next year, that no one else is going to die? Of course more people are going to die no matter what we due. It is a calculated risk to stay locked down and it is a calculated risk to open the economy up again. Some of us are willing to take that risk. Others want to crash the economy so they can influence the elections and let people die of other things like hunger, homelessness, and civil unrest, only stretched out over a decade or more. I'd argue that the latter is more disgraceful than the former.
Pro Tip, Psych. When you're making up the words to put in someone else's mouth, at least try to error toward the plausible. No one here, not even you, think that I think "that no one else is going to die", if we don't begin opening the country up now or in the near future. That's just dum. Opening your argument with a patently false premise doesn't help you, it makes you look desperate.

I don't blame you for being afraid, we're all afraid of the unknown, of feeling powerless and not knowing how this is going to play out. Ambiguity is a bitch. And while buying into conspiracy theories is emotionally satisfying, sating your distress by clinging to wholly ignorant conspiracy theories in an effort to conjure up a unifying theory to slake your fears du jour, is sad.

Open up our society now? Seriously?

The United States is #1 in the world for the number of COVID-19 infections. The other 4 members of the top 5 countries in the world, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain have fewer infections combined, than the United States has alone.

Two months ago, on Feb. 16th, not one person in the US had died of COVID-19.

One month ago, on March 16th, less than 90 people in the US had died of COVID-19.

One month later, April 16th, more than 34,000 Americans have died of COVID-19.

I know you're resistant to facts, to reality, but those numbers speak for themselves, so you have no excuse.

And speaking of "numbers", get a load of these. (Ah, to have a president that isn't a dumbshit.):

Please watch this:

Which is precisely why I am not advocating that hard-hit places like New York open up at the same time or way as Kansas, which, as of this morning, has 80 deaths. The definition of being a dumbshit is sitting around shrugging and saying “I dunno. We can’t do anything until the numbers go down.” False. We can and should be doing things - not pretending to do things as a thinly-veiled political coup attempt.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

holy balls.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There's somewhere in between that seems reasonable.
It's not a coup attempt.
But it's also a bit over reactionary and has been a suppression of freedom.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Kansas numbers are expected to peak around the 29th of April. I go to my jobsite numerous times daily and have a skeleton crew working (their choice). All my subs are still really afraid of what the numbers will be and the avenues of it's spread.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We have some really nonsensical SAH/non essential rules applied right now. Right now I cannot go golfing. WTF. Right now I cannot go boating on the beautiful big water that surrounds me. WTF. I cannot go to my local greenhouse to get seed or flowers or weed killer or anything else I need to spruce up my yard. WTF. The lawn services cannot get outside to cut grass. WTF. Just to name a few.

Most of the SAH/non essential makes sense. But there are some that make no sense.

My county has a population of about 80,000. We have had less than 300 confirmed cases.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mich, didja make it down to Lansing for the protest?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:14 am We have some really nonsensical SAH/non essential rules applied right now. Right now I cannot go golfing. WTF. Right now I cannot go boating on the beautiful big water that surrounds me. WTF. I cannot go to my local greenhouse to get seed or flowers or weed killer or anything else I need to spruce up my yard. WTF. The lawn services cannot get outside to cut grass. WTF. Just to name a few.

Most of the SAH/non essential makes sense. But there are some that make no sense.

My county has a population of about 80,000. We have had less than 300 confirmed cases.
And this is why the country will struggle with this pandemic longer than other parts of the world.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:55 am But it's also a bit over reactionary and has been a suppression of freedom.
And the more important question to ask is "Why?"
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:28 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:14 am We have some really nonsensical SAH/non essential rules applied right now. Right now I cannot go golfing. WTF. Right now I cannot go boating on the beautiful big water that surrounds me. WTF. I cannot go to my local greenhouse to get seed or flowers or weed killer or anything else I need to spruce up my yard. WTF. The lawn services cannot get outside to cut grass. WTF. Just to name a few.

And this is why the country will struggle with this pandemic longer than other parts of the world.
Preach it! Obedient sheep sit quietly at home and depend on the government to know and meet their needs. If government doesn't provide it, you don't need it - and shame on you for being greedy and self-interested!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Golfing should be the first thing banned and last activity reopened. Talk about non-essential.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

If I'm understanding correctly, you are complaining that you don't have enough cases?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:31 am Golfing should be the first thing banned and last activity reopened. Talk about non-essential.
Of course golf is not essential. But how is me and the old lady going to shoot 9 gonna hurt anybody?

How is me and the old lady jumping in the boat for a cruise gonna hurt anybody.

How is my neighbor that owns a one man grass cutting service servicing his clients gonna hurt anybody?

How.