Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:52 amholy balls.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:31 am Golfing should be the first thing banned and last activity reopened. Talk about non-essential.
But, but, but... OBEDIENT SHEEP!!!!!!!!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:36 am
PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:31 am Golfing should be the first thing banned and last activity reopened. Talk about non-essential.
Of course golf is not essential. But how is me and the old lady going to shoot 9 gonna hurt anybody?

The cashier who collects green fees. The person who rents clubs. The person who rents golf carts. The Groups of people who don't live together who want to play. The ballwashing station. Etc.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:55 am There's somewhere in between that seems reasonable.
It's not a coup attempt.
But it's also a bit over reactionary and has been a suppression of freedom.
Really? The US has been "over reactionary"?

We have more total infections than the next 4 most infected countries in the world combined, yet we've been "over reactionary"?

I'd be curious to know who it is that has been "over reactionary"?

Is it President Trump?

-Is it New York Governor Cuomo?

-Is it South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem? Who still hasn't issued a stay at home order for her state, despite the Smithfield pork processing plant in Sioux Falls being the "largest COVID-19 hot spot" in the nation, where over 700 workers have contracted Covid-19?

-Is it Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds, where only 0.6% of the population, tied for lowest in the nation, have been tested? Yet, meat processing plants in Iowa are closing in Waterloo, and Tama, Iowa, with more closures likely to come?

Always, when it comes to pandemics, the number one objective, the entire point, is to overdo it, to overdo everything, until you no longer have to. Why? Because the penalty for failure is potentially so dire.

Please, name another reason that has flattened the curve in NYC as much or more than social distancing.

I absolutely agree that states like Kansas are in no way equivalent to NYC, and should definitely be considered for earlier opening of their economies, etc. But (your) Psych's argument/anger is misplaced. It's not because a bunch of pointy headed liberal intellectual snowflakes and scientists have hatched a plan to unleash a pandemic to bring the economy down so they can defeat Trump this fall. Unfortunately, your argument is with Trump. Because it's precisely because the federal response to the pandemic has been such an unmitigated failure so far, we haven't, and still can't do the testing on a scale that will give us the data to know who is infected, who was infected and is now immune, so that we can know when it's safe for people in different localities throughout the nation to safely get back to work.

If only Trump had immediately started doing the things that could eventually make it possible for us to reopen our society instead of immediately lying to the Americans people to cover his ass and devoting his energy to finding someone, something, anything else to blame, we could be on the road to reopening, like a number of the other democracies around the world, instead of being an international joke.

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:48 am
pdub wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:55 am There's somewhere in between that seems reasonable.
It's not a coup attempt.

We have more total infections than the next 4 most infected countries in the world combined, yet we've been "over reactionary"?

Is it President Trump?

-Is it South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem? Who still hasn't issued a stay at home order for her state, despite the Smithfield pork processing plant in Sioux Falls being the "largest COVID-19 hot spot" in the nation, where over 700 workers have contracted Covid-19?

-Is it Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds, where only 0.6% of the population, tied for lowest in the nation, have been tested? Yet, meat processing plants in Iowa are closing in Waterloo, and Tama, Iowa, with more closures likely to come?

Always, when it comes to pandemics, the number one objective, the entire point, is to overdo it, to overdo everything, until you no longer have to. Why? Because the penalty for failure is potentially so dire.

Please, name another reason that has flattened the curve in NYC as much or more than social distancing.

I absolutely agree that states like Kansas are in no way equivalent to NYC, and should definitely be considered for earlier opening of their economies, etc. But (your) Psych's argument/anger is misplaced. It's not because a bunch of pointy headed liberal intellectual snowflakes and scientists have hatched a plan to unleash a pandemic to bring the economy down so they can defeat Trump this fall. Unfortunately, your argument is with Trump. Because it's precisely because the federal response to the pandemic has been such an unmitigated failure so far, we haven't, and still can't do the testing on a scale that will give us the data to know who is infected, who was infected and is now immune, so that we can know when it's safe for people in different localities throughout the nation to safely get back to work.

If only Trump had immediately started doing the things that could eventually make it possible for us to reopen our society instead of immediately lying to the Americans people to cover his ass and devoting his energy to finding someone, something, anything else to blame, we could be on the road to reopening, like a number of the other democracies around the world, instead of being an international joke.

Yup. Stupid Trump to closed off flights from Europe and China and was called a xenophobe by the WHO. What was he thinking?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Feral wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:48 am
It's not a coup attempt.

Is it President Trump?

There is a saying that I'm stealing and I dont know who to credit for it......you will never know if you overreacted to a pandemic but you will damn sure know if you didnt do enough.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:36 am
Of course golf is not essential. But how is me and the old lady going to shoot 9 gonna hurt anybody?

How is me and the old lady jumping in the boat for a cruise gonna hurt anybody.

How is my neighbor that owns a one man grass cutting service servicing his clients gonna hurt anybody?

How.
JFC
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I can get as concerned as anyone about personal liberties, but crying “personal freedom” during a pandemic seems dangerously close to arguing for the right to yell “fire” in a crowded theater.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I’m not overly concerned about my personal liberties. I just wonder why I cannot jump in my boat and go for a spin.

I do not parallel me jumping in my boat, with me yelling fire when there is no fire. Do you.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

President Pussy-Grabber's got your back, Mich!

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:11 am I’m not overly concerned about my personal liberties. I just wonder why I cannot jump in my boat and go for a spin.

I do not parallel me jumping in my boat, with me yelling fire when there is no fire. Do you.
it's a rough analogy, but I think the greater good outweighs the individual freedom.

Bear in mind, wasn't the no-boating order issued because too many photos were popping up on social media of folks partying on boats, congregating at launches, and otherwise defeating the purpose of social distancing? ETA how it's all so non-essential, and potentially strains the infrastructure in a number of ways - unnecessary trips to the gas station, not to mention the potential strain on first responders and emergency personnel, as if they don't already have enough to worry about.

oh screw it...if it's not a big deal to you, then can I come boating too?! for real what kinda boat do you have? Did the smallmouth bite turn on in your neck of the woods yet?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

chiknbut wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15 am President Pussy-Grabber's got your back, Mich!

wait, now the coronavirus is comin to take our guns too?!
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I don’t have to come in contact with one other person. Not one, to go out and take a spin in my boat. Yet I cannot.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

My neighbor that owns a one man lawn service does not have to come into contact with one other person to do his job. Yet he cannot.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:21 am I don’t have to come in contact with one other person. Not one, to go out and take a spin in my boat. Yet I cannot.
I would suggest that anyone frustrated by their inability to go about their day-to-day consider exactly why it is that we cannot go about our day-to-day.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

one man's pandemic is another man's vacation.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

You can apply a one size fits all solution. But this is not a one size fits all problem.

It’s just not. It’s ok to apply some sense.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:31 am You can apply a one size fits all solution. But this is not a one size fits all problem.

It’s just not. It’s ok to apply some sense.
And with testing, we could.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I...I don't get it. I can't see at all how this could possibly be a good thing for him to say.

chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:20 am
chiknbut wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15 am President Pussy-Grabber's got your back, Mich!

wait, now the coronavirus is comin to take our guns too?!
Well, duh.