Georgia reopening

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Georgia reopening

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:49 am I think there are 'told you so' people on both sides.
And no, please don't do the overused dumbass 'both sides do it' thing in response.
Of course there are.

But I also think that opening a nail salon or bowling alley right now is dumb. That has nothing to do with politics. And, I hope I'm wrong.

But, as jfish alluded to, we won't know for two weeks, and it might be two weeks after that before the shit hits the fan.

If I thought they were taking the proper precautions, I'd support it. But when I saw the types of businesses that were included, it seems like a bad idea.

We saw what was happenning before....so what's changed? There's no vaccine, there's no treatment, there is still a low percentage of people with antibodies, and by most accounts testing is still insufficient.

I want the economy to function and restart as much as we can, but what GA is doing seems nuts.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:55 am One side, and certain states, are being more cautious, cuz they’re listening to doctors, and paying attention to what’s happening around the rest of the world.

The other side is screaming I WANT MAH NORMAL BACK, FREEDOM OF CHOICE, WHATABOUT THE FLU, WHO CARES HOW MANY PEOPLE DIE, MAKE AMERICA GOLF AGAIN, SECOND AMENDMENT RULEZ, and the rest of us are supposed to be hopeful?
This kind of bullshit does no good. It reduces it to politics and makes it about picking teams.

There is a real danger in shutting down the economy for too long. We need to pull back restrictions as much as we can.

But I think it's foolish to open a nail salon right now. I know that's someone's career/business and we (gov't/community/society) need to help people in those positions but that's a different discussion. But it's not something that's needed, nor does it seem is something that can be done with social distancing.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:00 am
pdub wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:49 am I think there are 'told you so' people on both sides.
And no, please don't do the overused dumbass 'both sides do it' thing in response.
Of course there are.

But I also think that opening a nail salon or bowling alley right now is dumb. That has nothing to do with politics. And, I hope I'm wrong.

But, as jfish alluded to, we won't know for two weeks, and it might be two weeks after that before the shit hits the fan.

If I thought they were taking the proper precautions, I'd support it. But when I saw the types of businesses that were included, it seems like a bad idea.

We saw what was happenning before....so what's changed? There's no vaccine, there's no treatment, there is still a low percentage of people with antibodies, and by most accounts testing is still insufficient.

I want the economy to function and restart as much as we can, but what GA is doing seems nuts.
It's batshit crazy.

And Georgia is falling DIRECTLY into the trap being laid for it by the federal government, which has set states up to fail. The federal guidelines remain the federal guidelines. "Reopening" violates both the general stay-at-home direction and ALSO the criteria for entering Phase I of the reopening process.

When the time comes that Georgia needs help, (a) it WILL NOT MATTER that Trump has clearly pushed reopening (and amplified the astroturf "movement"), and (b) it WILL VERY MUCH MATTER that Georgia broke the rules.

If we have learned one thing from all this, it's that we simply cannot depend on the federal government to act in good faith (let alone with force and purpose that is motivated by science).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I WANT MAH NORMAL BACK, FREEDOM OF CHOICE, WHATABOUT THE FLU, WHO CARES HOW MANY PEOPLE DIE, MAKE AMERICA GOLF AGAIN, SECOND AMENDMENT RULEZ"

Cool.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

FWIW I’ve had some acquaintances go on a coronavirus rant about guns, and free speech, and abortion and the like.

When I ask how guns and free speech and abortion have been affected by the virus, they tell me to stop reducing it to politics.

Take it up with them, not me.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:12 am FWIW I’ve had some acquaintances go on a coronavirus rant about guns, and free speech, and abortion and the like.

When I ask how guns and free speech and abortion have been affected by the virus, they tell me to stop reducing it to politics.

Take it up with them, not me.
Generally, you're talking about a portion of Trump's base that has NEVER made any sense, as far as supporting Trump.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:12 am Someone I disagree with did something dumb, so I get to be a complete fucking horse's ass.
Fyp

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it comes down to the states to decide -- they need to listen to their own people, their own medical staff.

I believe it's too early - I think you want to be sure the 'curve has flattened'.
I also don't think, if a state's people as a majority don't want to wait inside until a vaccine is found, they should be forced to.
And all of this comes with the choice of an individual to continue to quarantine themselves. No one is forcing them out of their homes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:17 am I think it comes down to the states to decide -- they need to listen to their own people, their own medical staff.

I believe it's too early - I think you want to be sure the 'curve has flattened'.
I also don't think, if a state's people as a majority don't want to wait inside until a vaccine is found, they should be forced to.
And all of this comes with the choice of an individual to continue to quarantine themselves. No one is forcing them out of their homes.
I don't know exactly what the right answer is. Absolutely, at some point there is a level of risk that has to be assumed. There are lots of people that need work now, not in a month or a year.

But there's NO FUCKING REASON states and local governments should have to make those choices without a comprehensive, federally-supported testing regime.

It's just not as easy as saying people make choices about whether they get sick; you can start a chain of dozens, if not hundreds, of sick people before you have the faintest idea that you're sick.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

The only good thing I can say is that we’re about as physically distant from Georgia as can be and the flights are few and far between.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:17 am I think it comes down to the states to decide -- they need to listen to their own people, their own medical staff.

I mostly agree.

My objection is that states don't exist in a bubble.

If your state opens, and my neighboring state doesn't and a bunch of people from my state go to yours to watch movies in theaters and they come back and spread the virus in my state then your actions hurt the people of my state.

I don't have a good answer for that.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:16 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:12 am Someone I disagree with did something dumb, so I get to be a complete fucking horse's ass.
Fyp
As much as I’d like to engage you in dialogue, it’s difficult when it so quickly devolves to you calling me names.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:33 am

I mostly agree.

If your state opens, and my neighboring state doesn't and a bunch of people from my state go to yours to watch movies in theaters and they come back and spread the virus in my state then your actions hurt the people of my state.

I don't either.
But I generally prefer giving states a good deal of the power to decide things like this for themselves and don't currently trust the leaders of the federal government to make wise decisions.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:40 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:33 am

I mostly agree.

I don't either.
But I generally prefer giving states a good deal of the power to decide things like this for themselves and don't currently trust the leaders of the federal government to make wise decisions.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

(I presume Dr. Gunn means "country.")
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Duke?
Gross.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For real.

If you’re gonna cite professionals, at least do it from a school that plays up to their tournament seed
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:37 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:16 am
Fyp
As much as I’d like to engage you in dialogue, it’s difficult when it so quickly devolves to you calling me names.
I'd appreciate it if you didn't engage with me and just shut the fuck up for once. Not every goddam thread has to be about politics. Pdumb is a liberal and favors re-opening and fish is a trump-hating moderate who wants a slower roll-back. It didn't have to devolve into petty partisan bickering until you shit in the pool. Now the twitter-brigade, the politicsl-meme patrol, and the conspiracy nuts will smell your floating turd and come take over the thread.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't necessarily favor re-opening.
I favor states being able to govern their people and territory.
If I was in charge of a state, i'd have multiple microbiologists ( science/current and future threat ) and state and county administrators ( current and future economic repercussions/public morale ) pitching me their thoughts - and then try to react off that -- I don't know if i'd have the confidence to reopen but I'm not in that position.

I will say in ousdahl's defense it is very difficult to have the covid on the ground discussion without bringing politics into it.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

The lovely Governor (in his uneducated sounding Georgia accent) said, "Right now (I) feel like we're in a good spot to move forward."

According to our government's "federal guidelines" Georgia is NOT in a "good spot" to "move forward" - in the capacity Kemp plans to "move forward".

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

I'm not 100% against Georgia re-opening but I feel Kemp has proven numerous times he has the IQ equivalent of a bar of soap.