Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
HouseDivided

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:36 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:46 pm
Feral wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:38 pm

You're advocating that we start opening up our society. Right?

IMO, and the opinion of public health experts, that would put people at greater risk of becoming infected.

That's not "putting words" in your mouth, that's calling you out for not caring enough about what's good for us all, i.e., to wait.

Health care workers don't want people to clap for them, they want them to stay home:

I’m sure it is hard for you to imagine from your seat of privilege....
Good Lord. Calling you a piece of shit is an insult to feces.
Bluster it is. Thank you.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Why is it that every time I listen to Birx I think I am listening to an intelligent Jewish American Princess from the L.A. valley? She's neither.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Feral wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:31 pm
Psych wrote:"...I would argue that understanding that a calculated risk is necessary ..."

"...I’m sure it is hard for you to imagine from your seat of privilege..."
That's just it Psych. We can't "calculate the risk", because we don't have enough information. Are you really too ignorant to know that, or, do you just want what you want when you want it, now, and screw everyone else?

You, repeatedly resorting to using "privilege" as a cudgel, is reminiscent of Trump trying to use "I closed the US to vaChina", to hide any and all of his other mistakes, and just as lame. I'll put my origin story up against almost anyone's, Psych. If I recall, you didn't have the best childhood either. Sorry about that. Maybe that's what's made you so antisocial?
Kind of tough bullying a virus or whining about what a victim you are when there are lots of other victims that we hear about every day.

And the true heroes, like Mrs. Newton.
Don't inject Lysol.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:31 pm
Psych wrote:"...I would argue that understanding that a calculated risk is necessary ..."

"...I’m sure it is hard for you to imagine from your seat of privilege..."
That's just it Psych. We can't "calculate the risk", because we don't have enough information. Are you really too ignorant to know that, or, do you just want what you want when you want it, now, and screw everyone else?

You, repeatedly resorting to using "privilege" as a cudgel, is reminiscent of Trump trying to use "I closed the US to vaChina", to hide any and all of his other mistakes, and just as lame. I'll put my origin story up against almost anyone's, Psych. If I recall, you didn't have the best childhood either. Sorry about that. Maybe that's what's made you so antisocial?
I’m not talking about the past. I’m talking about your day-to-day reality. The one where you don’t have to worry about food to eat or bills being paid. The one that gives you the luxury of saying “Let’s give this another month or twelve and then see what happens.” Another month of this and I won’t have a job to go back to. Pardon me for being concerned.

This is what gives Fauci et al the false sense that simply playing with their statistical models, telling everyone to be patient, and pointing fingers of blame about problems that have been decades in the making is somehow sufficient. It is not.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

What if -- and I'm just spitballin' here -- it doesn't really matter if we reopen?

What if the the coronavirus crisis simply revealed the seamy underbelly of America's economy?

What if three decades of nearly free money, zero risk, and immeasurable moral hazard just came crashing down, and "reopening" isn't going to make that go away?

What if the Greenspan put became the Bernanke put, which morphed into the Yellen put and is now the Powell put?

What if...
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:37 am What if -- and I'm just spitballin' here -- it doesn't really matter if we reopen?

What if the the coronavirus crisis simply revealed the seamy underbelly of America's economy?

What if three decades of nearly free money, zero risk, and immeasurable moral hazard just came crashing down, and "reopening" isn't going to make that go away?

What if the Greenspan put became the Bernanke put, which morphed into the Yellen put and is now the Powell put?

What if...
If true, you will see riots in the streets, suicide rates will skyrocket, and whoever "wins" the election in November will rue the day they decided to run for POTUS.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

So I guess we moved on from the fishtankcleanermiracledrug?

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

chiknbut wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:35 pm So I guess we moved on from the fishtankcleanermiracledrug?

Damn, that's too bad. Hopefully one of the other ones that's already being tested will prove efficacious.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

chiknbut wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:35 pm So I guess we moved on from the fishtankcleanermiracledrug?

When people talk about people being excited for failure so they can say I told you so....this is what they're talking about.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Only speaking for myself here. I'm in no way "excited" for failure in terms of finding a "miracle drug" to treat COVID-19 but I am excited that medical testing is being done and people can rely on that instead of counting on Donald "BUT WHAT DO I KNOW, I'M NOT A DOCTOR" "WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE" Trump touting something he really has little clue about.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

And that's fine gutman. That is a good thing (the testing etc) i was hoping for success with the malaria drug though as it is available and would save lives. To run here and post about its failure and be excited to move on from the "fishtankcleanermiracledrug" is a big "i told you so because I am so smart" and i think its an unfortunate stance. We should be hoping that it helps even if that meant celebrating with Trump.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub - I completely understand and appreciate your point. However, if Trump had just shut up and let the testing run its course it wouldn't be a problem. There are so many other drugs (baricitinib is one example) which are being tested with varying levels of success. No one is commenting on their success or failure. I hope that Trump and his followers would, for a change, let the scientists do the sciencing.

I really feel happy for the lupus patients who are on this drug.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There were already strong warning signs against this drug and it is something of a relief to climb out of the rabbit hole.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:12 pm

When people talk about people being excited for failure so they can say I told you so....this is what they're talking about.
It helps no one and hurts everyone. So, by all means, schadenfreude away, I say.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Feral wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:17 pm
I'm still waiting to find out why, with machines that can run 3,000 tests/day, that it can't be done economically for <$50/test?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

zsn wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:37 pm TDub - I completely understand and appreciate your point. However, if Trump had just shut up and let the testing run its course it wouldn't be a problem. There are so many other drugs (baricitinib is one example) which are being tested with varying levels of success. No one is commenting on their success or failure. I hope that Trump and his followers would, for a change, let the scientists do the sciencing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:27 pm
zsn wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:37 pm TDub - I completely understand and appreciate your point. However, if Trump had just shut up and let the testing run its course it wouldn't be a problem. There are so many other drugs (baricitinib is one example) which are being tested with varying levels of success. No one is commenting on their success or failure. I hope that Trump and his followers would, for a change, let the scientists do the sciencing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/rationalization?s=t
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:40 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^
ZOMG!!!
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:50 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:40 pm
^^^^^^^^^^^^