2 Californians died of coronavirus weeks before previously known 1st US death

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

2 Californians died of coronavirus weeks before previously known 1st US death

Post by PhDhawk »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

Thought this was interesting.

Hopefully one of you assholes can find a way to turn it politicsl.

I am really curious about when this virus was first in the US.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Re: 2 Californians died of coronavirus weeks before previously known 1st US death

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:47 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

Still better than Cankles.
Mjl

Re: 2 Californians died of coronavirus weeks before previously known 1st US death

Post by Mjl »

Great news if true.

Since you requested it - this would seemingly give significant credence to a lot of the right-wing talking points about how long this has been here, the real fatality rate, and the lack of danger in opening things back up. But that would be great news for everyone (except the alleged people rooting for mass death so they can say "I told you so!").
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Could also mean the U.S.'s reported death count is falsely low.

But, to answer PhD's question: the virus was probably here shortly after it was in Wuhan, which from what I understand is still not completely understood.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:18 pm Could also mean the U.S.'s reported death count is falsely low.
Sure. But for some reason it feels like the tragedy of past deaths isn't as bad as the tragedy and fear of an unknown number of future deaths.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This could be elementary analysis, but perhaps it signals were further along the curve than believed. The tests have always been completely fucked here.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

At least 5 million people -- more than half the population of the city -- left Wuhan before Xi shut it down.

Most of them went elsewhere in China. Many of them went to Thailand. And a few of them came to the United States -- and specifically to the West coast areas with significant Chinese heritage/populations, namely Seattle and San Francisco/Bay Area. I think we're going to find MANY more such cases, i.e. people who died but were never identified or people who had the virus and recovered, without being tested.

In the grand scheme of things, it may help us trace the virus and learn more about it, etc. But I don't think there is ANY chance that there will be enough cases to claim any sort herd immunity.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, actually, that could be read a number of ways.

I also have heard a talking point the death count is falsely high, because of listing covid 19 as a cause of death without affirmatively testing.

If it has been around for longer than we know, then why weren’t hospitals flooded sooner?

But yeah I wanna be optimistic that one way or another we’re further along than we think.

we could learn an awful lot more in a hurry if we could just get testing, right?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:11 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:47 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

Still better than Cankles.
Anything is.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Ahem:
Feral wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 pm Wow:

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman