Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Georgia reopening

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:16 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:23 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:16 pm

There is no goddamn such thing as esports. Thats not a goddamn sport, its people playing stupid goddamn video games.

And get off my goddamn lawn
Judging by your last statement, I know you know this, and I'm no fan of the "sport," but while the competition is seemingly made up, the money is anything but.

The arenas being bid and built have real economic impact. Plus, think of all the Taco Bells that will be built by those places.
Yea it makes me sick to think of the people busting ass to get by and these kids are making 6 figures or more playing a goddamn video game. How does that benefit society in amy way shape or form?
I hear ya and agree, but I suppose it's the American dream.
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

And yes, I'm aware that makes me a grumpy old man
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:16 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:23 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:16 pm

There is no goddamn such thing as esports. Thats not a goddamn sport, its people playing stupid goddamn video games.

And get off my goddamn lawn
Judging by your last statement, I know you know this, and I'm no fan of the "sport," but while the competition is seemingly made up, the money is anything but.

The arenas being bid and built have real economic impact. Plus, think of all the Taco Bells that will be built by those places.
Yea it makes me sick to think of the people busting ass to get by and these kids are making 6 figures or more playing a goddamn video game. How does that benefit society in amy way shape or form?
The better question is why does it have to benefit society?

Compare the merits of it to something that I dislike as much or more: professional car racing. Or rodeos. Everyone has their thing.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Yeah something benefiting society almost never corresponds to wages.

If it did, sanitation workers would be rich.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea, I mean, makes sense but I still respect race car drivers and rodeo contests way way more. They put in a lot more effort and there are a lot more skills and variables in their craft. Video gamers sit and eat doritos and talk to each other on their stupid little headsets.

Also, those other events have fans that are attending the actual competition and providing in person entertainment.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 pm Yeah something benefiting society almost never corresponds to wages.

True, but i think that the hugely disproportionate wages for some things is silly.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:30 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 pm Yeah something benefiting society almost never corresponds to wages.

True, but i think that the hugely disproportionate wages for some things is silly.
communist.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:29 pm Yea, I mean, makes sense but I still respect race car drivers and rodeo contests way way more. They put in a lot more effort and there are a lot more skills and variables in their craft. Video gamers sit and eat doritos and talk to each other on their stupid little headsets.

Also, those other events have fans that are attending the actual competition and providing in person entertainment.
I think the first paragraph is arguable. I don't know firsthand or even secondhand, but I'm quite sure it takes a lot of effort and even skill to be a gamer that is making a lot of money. I know I couldn't pick it up today and get there.

The second part is why I brought up the arenas. There are already a lot of in-person competitions that make money so much that firms are building arenas that seat in the 5 figures of people.

I'm not here to defend eSports, I just get a kick out of people calling them nerds without seeing the business side of it. Especially when those nerd comments are coming from a bunch of middle-aged dudes that sit on a college sports internet message board all day arguing over hot-take tweets.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:35 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:29 pm Yea, I mean, makes sense but I still respect race car drivers and rodeo contests way way more. They put in a lot more effort and there are a lot more skills and variables in their craft. Video gamers sit and eat doritos and talk to each other on their stupid little headsets.

I think the first paragraph is arguable. I don't know firsthand or even secondhand, but I'm quite sure it takes a lot of effort and even skill to be a gamer that is making a lot of money. I know I couldn't pick it up today and get there.

The second part is why I brought up the arenas. There are already a lot of in-person competitions that make money so much that firms are building arenas that seat in the 5 figures of people.

I'm not here to defend eSports, I just get a kick out of people calling them nerds without seeing the business side of it. Especially when those nerd comments are coming from a bunch of middle-aged dudes that sit on a college sports internet message board all day arguing over hot-take tweets.
Except, I get paid per post, so there's that.

And, who could have guessed TDub hates capitalism?
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I have a PS4 that thoroughly defetaed me.
Broham
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

and teachers
Deleted User 89

i don’t disagree in terms of which skills are more valuable, but i can also say that to excel against other gamers (rather than just the AI-based sims, it takes a serious level of hand-eye coordination
Deleted User 89

i’d say the same in regard to folks like the kardashians...is argue that they’re success/fame might be worse for society than someone who makes it by playing video games
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

FWIW, Trump’s against GA reopening so soon.
(Thank you Donald)
Last edited by dolomite on Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Originally Imzcount (Why do politicians think “hope” is a plan ?)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 89

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:59 pm

I have a PS4 that thoroughly defetaed me.
the wife got me the newest Call of Duty game, but i haven’t played it online cuz i know i’ll end up getting worked over by a bunch of 15 year olds
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

dolomite wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:06 pm FWIW, Trump’s against GA reopening so soon.
Older voters saw the big target being taped on their back. Causing a huge drop in elderly support for an orange man actively killing them.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:01 pm

and teachers
There was that famous tweet from a Spanish biology researcher:
"You give the footballer €1 million euros a month & a biological researcher €1,800 per month, and you are now looking for a Coronavirus treatment. Go to Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi & they will get you a cure."
I like capitalism, but there's something to that.

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:01 pm

and teachers
lulz
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:05 pm

i’d say the same in regard to folks like the kardashians...is argue that they’re success/fame might be worse for society than someone who makes it by playing video games
I know, right?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... demic.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kim-kardas ... orm-cases/
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 89

fuck chik-filet too

not surprised you’d take issue with my post

i guess all it takes is one good deed, and all is forgiven