Georgia reopening

Coffee talk.
defixione
Contributor

Re: Georgia reopening

Post by defixione »

My son and his gang get together to watch those tournaments. We've had the group at our house and, honestly, I found it interesting to watch the competition and to watch the watchers. It's kind of like a new genre of rock/punk/techno concerts with groupies and all . . .

And, everyone in the audience knows who the real stars are on stage.
Last edited by defixione on Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:46 pm
defixione wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:37 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:31 pm

Let's just keep these paid nerds from doing any college gaming competitions, though. Think about the purity of the game.
I've often wondered what tier of gamers are the ones on college esports teams.
According to Rivals, a 5'5" 98 lb. Korean is the #1 recruit, and is thinking about skipping college and going straight to the downtown LA WeWork.
A true titan of sport...
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:36 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:33 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:00 pm

I don't. I think most teachers a pretty great.

But I also think that the knee-jerk reaction to assume that teachers are uniformly underpaid and underappreciated is the result of political mythologizing.
Or, it could be the way they were treated by our former governor, matt bevin.

ETA: That's the main reason he is former.
99.999% of teachers wouldn't know Matt Bevin if he bit 'em on the backside.
He did bite them on the backside in Kentucky. Wisconsin's last governor did not treat them any better.
Broham
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:27 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:33 pm

Or, it could be the way they were treated by our former governor, matt bevin.

ETA: That's the main reason he is former.
He did bite them on the backside in Kentucky. Wisconsin's last governor did not treat them any better.
False.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:46 pm
national average means little in this context, but you know this

i won’t even get into most of their wage being tied up in benefits, so that their take-home is notably reduced...or the need for them to spend money out-of-pocket on supplies to help them be more effective because districts are strapped for cash
Why does a national average mean little "in this context?"

What context?

Explain to me why teachers' take home is less than a normal person's. Don't most college-educated workers have health insurance and a retirement plan of some sort? How are teachers getting screwed here?

I think what you're admitting with your vague and unsubstantiated claims is that I was right: your reaction was a matter of faith, not facts.

And what, exactly, do you know about what parents do and do not entrust teachers to do?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:45 pm

i won’t even get into most of their wage being tied up in benefits, so that their take-home is notably reduced...or the need for them to spend money out-of-pocket on supplies to help them be more effective because districts are strapped for cash
Why does a national average mean little "in this context?"

What context?

Explain to me why teachers' take home is less than a normal person's. Don't most college-educated workers have health insurance and a retirement plan of some sort? How are teachers getting screwed here?

I think what you're admitting with your vague and unsubstantiated claims is that I was right: your reaction was a matter of faith, not facts.

And what, exactly, do you know about what parents do and do not entrust teachers to do?
Most public school teachers I know accept the fact that they will need to have a weekend/summer job to supplement their income. They are told this when they are undergrad students, so it is no surprise. Many of them go back to school to get their admin certification so they can move up to be principals and other types of administrators - jobs that pay pretty well.

I know very few teachers who feel that their plight is unreasonable compared to the rest of us who also work two or three jobs, even with graduate degrees and professional licenses. It is a reality of life today.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:39 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:27 pm
False.
True. I watched it. Live. That asshole belittle them and demonize them at every turn.
Broham
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Link?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Broham
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Sorry. I meant Wisconsin.

No offense, but Kentucky doesn't really interest me.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

You really need a "link"? You're a sharp guy DC. You don't know/think/believe on your own - without a "link" - that Walker was a complete douche bag when it came to teachers?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I like DC. I think he usually brings a voice of reason here and he sometimes causes me to change my mind.

That said, walker and bevin went after teachers. Bigly. It was disgusting and I'm glad they are no longer governors.
Broham
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:30 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:10 pm
and i’d wager that you’re wrong, at least as the subject relates to elementary, middle- and high school teachers
Wrong about what? That the national average teacher pay is $60,000 for nine months work, plus public employee benefits, after earning what CAN BE (note the hedge) one of the biggest jokes of a degree available?
lulz

perhaps it’s my fault though, and i should have been more explicit (doubt it would’ve mattered since you seem to have a bug up your ass lately), but as it pertains to the conversation at hand - that is, benefit to society - teachers are woefully underpaid, given what our society tasks then with...raising, quite literally up until this pandemic, our future generations. so, comparing their average salary nationally to any other occupation fails to take into account the direct impacts they have on “our children”

jmo, but when tasked with that, i’d much rather we compensate in order to get the best and brightest, decreasing the draw of non-academic positions
You're probably looking at this from the point of view of public school teachers and DC is a believer in the superiority of a Catholic school education, where raising teacher salaries in the public sector would make it more difficult for Catholic schools.
Don't inject Lysol.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

My kids all go to public schools.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Grandma wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:01 pm You really need a "link"? You're a sharp guy DC. You don't know/think/believe on your own - without a "link" - that Walker was a complete douche bag when it came to teachers?
Yes. I need a link.

Because opposing public-sector unionization is not the same thing as being "a complete douche to teachers."

Most of what you think you know about Walker and teachers is bullshit.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... -schools-/
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:42 pm I like DC. I think he usually brings a voice of reason here and he sometimes causes me to change my mind.

That said, walker and bevin went after teachers. Bigly. It was disgusting and I'm glad they are no longer governors.
Walker went after public sector unions.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:04 am My kids all go to public schools.
Just accept that you’re an evil papist and move on, DC. It’s a foregone conclusion.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:11 am
Grandma wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:01 pm You really need a "link"? You're a sharp guy DC. You don't know/think/believe on your own - without a "link" - that Walker was a complete douche bag when it came to teachers?
Yes. I need a link.

Because opposing public-sector unionization is not the same thing as being "a complete douche to teachers."

Most of what you think you know about Walker and teachers is bullshit.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... -schools-/
It's unfortunate you think - what I think I know about Walker and teachers is bullshit.

You said, - "opposing public-sector unionization is not the same thing as being a complete douche to teachers".

My feeling is that for some/many/most teachers it did equate to him being a douche. Did it not affect them in a negative way/manner?

You tell me, because of Walker and "Act 10" - did they not receive lower compensation, less benefits, and as a whole had salary DECREASES? I could be mistaken but I believe they did.
(Yes, the salary decreases as a whole is/was probably in part to older higher paid teachers leaving - not always willingly - and younger lower paid teachers taking their place/s but did some/many teachers not got fucked in the process?)
What happened to their pensions? What happened to their insurance? What happened to school funding?

Once again I'll say to to you (since you told me - "Most of what you think you know about Walker and teachers is bullshit) you tell me if what I think I know is "bullshit". I don't believe it is.

You don't think what Walker did was being a complete douche? Fine. I do and a lot of other people do too. Specifically - teachers.
So here we are, Walker wasn't a douche to them because YOU think/say so. I say he was a douche to teachers - because I think/say so. We have differing opinions.
This isn't really about you and I and our opinions, it's about the teachers. Maybe you and I should be speaking with the teachers and ask them how they feel/felt instead of "speaking" on their behalf.

Go ahead and give me another tl:dnr response to this post - if it makes you feel good.
Perhaps I should have just responded - You're right, what I think I know about Walker and teachers is bullshit.
I have a strong feeling that's how you're going to come away after reading this post - if you read it.
If so, that's cool. Sorry to have wasted your time.
Moving on.......
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Video games aren't a sport but benefit society just as much as throwing a ball into a hoop.
Chick Fil A is a good organization that does a lot ( like, a LOT ) for charity despite the fact they have donated to Christian organizations that believe different things than other people do. Also their chicken sandwiches bang.
The teacher pay scale should be increased but bad teachers should still get paid poorly -- it is one of the better professions of ceiling/floor making a difference.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Pdub bangs chicken sandwiches.