COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
ChalkRocker

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by ChalkRocker »

TDub wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:59 am
Haha fair. If youre in bad shape have a pedialyte.

Thank you for understanding. I'll stand down, now.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Places with the highest rates of COVID-19 change:

1 Sioux City, Iowa 777 137% 0.8 days-days to double cases
2 Waterloo-Ced.Falls, Iowa 693 40% 2.1 days to double cases
3 Pine Bluff, Ark. 770 39% 2.1 days
4 Green Bay, Wis. 672 34% 2.3 days
5 Amarillo, Texas 367 19% 4.0 days
6 Des Moines, Iowa 602 18% 4.2 days
7 Marion, Ohio 2,123 17% 4.3 days
8 Albertville, Ala. 195 14% 5.2 days
9 Gallup, N.M. 568 14% 5.2 days
10 Goldsboro, N.C. 549 14% 5.4 days
11 Grand Rapids, Mich. 796 13% 5.6 days
12 Bowling Green, Ky. 237 13% 5.6 days
13 Fargo, N.D. 346 13% 5.6 days
14 Columbus, Ohio 2,732 13% 5.7 days
15 Rockford, Ill. 286 12% 6.0 day
Don't inject Lysol.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

As states/municipalities have begun to receive imported test kits from foreign countries and domestic private entities, you're going to see "spikes" in numbers as results pour in
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

good point.

and re: seahawk's list, how are the highest change rates all in flyover states?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Looks to be arranged by %-change, so when you talk about a place like Sioux City, IA (airport code SUX - what up tmcats?), population 80,000, an influx in test results is going to create a very high percentage increase.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I played golf yesterday with a pulmonologist here in town. He said that, regionally, staying at home really does seem to have tamped the problem down before infections really had a chance to take hold.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:25 pm I played golf yesterday with a pulmonologist here in town. He said that, regionally, staying at home really does seem to have tamped the problem down before infections really had a chance to take hold.
But, but, but...FREEDOM and GUNS!!!!
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

The lady in North Carolina that was a protest organizer turn Covid patient is now saying that a quarantine order is abridging her freedom.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:25 pm I played golf yesterday with a pulmonologist here in town. He said that, regionally, staying at home really does seem to have tamped the problem down before infections really had a chance to take hold.
So, stay locked down for 12-18 months until a vaccine is ready, then?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:34 pm
So, stay locked down for 12-18 months until a vaccine is ready, then?
I understand we see this from different lenses.

As negative of an outlook as I have on how things have been handled on a national (and international) scale, I do take encouragement in local healthcare professionals feeling optimistic about our region. I've heard similar sentiments recently from a doctor who runs in a different circle.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:44 am good point.

and re: seahawk's list, how are the highest change rates all in flyover states?
Meat packing.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I hope you didn't need to golf with a pulmonologist to convince you of that.
I didn't mean for that to come off as snide or condescending. I meant it to express that I feel too many people are either clueless or simply don't give a shit. Not saying you're one of them either.
One incredible thing to me is the fact that I live in a building where numerous residents are those who are on the "front line/s" caring for COVID-19 patients. Many other residents are seemingly oblivious to it - or don't give a shit.
We get emails from building management stating that there is/was someone in the building who has tested positive (my guess is there is more than 1 who has tested positive and many more who are asymptomatic) and to please be conscious and vigilant in terms of yourself and for respect for one another and the doctors and nurses living in the building.
Yet, EVERY DAY I see people riding up and down in elevators without face coverings and people congregating in the lobby not "socially/physically distancing" while not wearing face coverings. Not saying anyone HAS to wear a face covering and/or "socially/physical distance" but I am saying it sure would be nice if people had just a little respect, understanding, compassion.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Right on gutter. It's frustrating to me too when people blow this off.

Starting to slowly see more and more posts on FB that say things like "if you want to live in fear of the virus and never leave your home again then stay home, that's your right....but don't take away my rights by trying to force me to live in fear locked away in my house.".....that smart (sarcasm) post was made by one of my aunts in texas....who is 60+ years old, overweight, and likely not in the best overall health....I'm astonished at some of these kinds of posts/people.
Deleted User 289

I don't disagree with your aunt. No one should be nor feel locked away in their home. I try and get outside and take a walk every day. People are free to leave their homes despite the "stay at home" order.
My "disagreement" is with those who feel they don't have any influence or responsibility for things to get back to "normal". It's not only about "YOU", it's about US and "YOU" play a part in US.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:00 am
I hope you didn't need to golf with a pulmonologist to convince you of that.
I didn't mean for that to come off as snide or condescending. I meant it to express that I feel too many people are either clueless or simply don't give a shit. Not saying you're one of them either.
One incredible thing to me is the fact that I live in a building where numerous residents are those who are on the "front line/s" caring for COVID-19 patients. Many other residents are seemingly oblivious to it - or don't give a shit.
We get emails from building management stating that there is/was someone in the building who has tested positive (my guess is there is more than 1 who has tested positive and many more who are asymptomatic) and to please be conscious and vigilant in terms of yourself and for respect for one another and the doctors and nurses living in the building.
Yet, EVERY DAY I see people riding up and down in elevators without face coverings and people congregating in the lobby not "socially/physically distancing" while not wearing face coverings. Not saying anyone HAS to wear a face covering and/or "socially/physical distance" but I am saying it sure would be nice if people had just a little respect, understanding, compassion.
I don't think most (or even much) of this is directed at what I said, really, but:

Yes, I do find a lot of value in hearing from primary sources on this. The news, both locally and nationally, is tilted, if not entirely keeled over.
Deleted User 289

No, it wasn't directed at what you specifically said.
I agree with you 100% in that I also "find a lot of value in hearing from primary sources on this" and that "the news, both locally and nationally, is tilted, if not entirely keeled over".
Thing is, you're a smart man. I'm confident you do not allow the "news" to brainwash you. You are more than capable of making your own observations and conclusions and my belief is that you have a lot of common sense. Common sense is that if people stay at home, they can't/won't spread the virus to others (except those in their home) nor contract the virus from others (except those in their home). Yet, we live in a country where as I have said too many times, we have a lot of people who lack common sense or simply don't give a fuck.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Some people don't believe some of the extent of what the media ( CNN or Fox News has been discussed here as manipulating ) or what government officials have been reporting.

I'm no tinfoil ( it's not a coup ) but I do think there's a lot of misinformation and possibly some overreaction.
i.e. I don't wear a mask when I go into the grocery store or gas station if I'm alone - I don't sneeze or cough or touch my face in the store, I maintain my distance, I only pick up items I know i'm going to take, I have been at home for a month now so I've done the whole 14 day quarantine thing.
I think places like beaches/parks should be opened with an order to maintain social distancing in groups.

This is coming from a person in Maine where there aren't a number of confirmed cases ( because no tests! ) and there is naturally social distancing because not a lot of people live here. In a city like Manhattan ( NY sorry tmcats ), I would act differently and certainly wear a mask out in public.

I'm sure other posters will disagree here, and that's fine, I get why you disagree.
Deleted User 289

Hey, there are many doctors even "experts" who say completely different things. It's confusing and as I have said to others, the doctors I respect are the ones who admit they don't know things FOR SURE about the virus. Opinions are just that. Facts are just that. People can't differentiate the two.
I assume some of you have seen the video of Dr. Daniel Erickson and Dr. Artin Messihi. Almost everyone I know who posted it publicly said they felt they were "so smart", "right", etc. Then WHAMMO!
https://www.acep.org/corona/COVID-19/co ... 9EMn0NK-qw

pdub - If I felt I knew for a fact I wouldn't sneeze or cough I might not be as worried about infecting others but SUPPOSEDLY you can infect them by speaking and even breathing near them. I can do my best to control how close I stand next others but I can't control how close others chose to stand next to me.
I agree 100% that beaches, parks, etc. should be opened - if people maintain "social distancing" in groups. Problem is they don't/won't - as I have witnessed on almost a daily basis.

Simply put, I feel shit's going to be what shit's going to be. I have to learn to deal with it and what I can control and what I can't control. My hope is my life gets back to "normalcy" (whatever the fuck that may be in the future) as soon as possible.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"you can infect them by speaking and even breathing near them"

You very may be able to but I think it's not nearly as big a risk as droplets from coughs/sneeze -- and that's not even confirmed yet ( transmission through breathing ).
There are levels of risk everyone has to take.
If you are concerned, you should definitely wear a mask.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Interesting article on differences in response between Washington State and New York.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... ks-did-not
Don't inject Lysol.