COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
seahawk

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by seahawk »

Feral wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:37 pm Until we have enough efficacious antibody tests to know otherwise, or, have a vaccine, take the attitude that you and everyone else has the virus, and act accordingly.

Household members, excepted.
So, when the jerk contractor/builder type standing impatiently behind me in the hardware store and invading my social distance (unlike all the other guys in line standing quietly on their X's), I should have pulled down my mask and said, "I might have the virus, Jerk, now back off before I cough on you."
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:44 pm
TDub wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:27 pm Mainly we were buying time for the hospitals to not surge past capacity
Good point, I suppose we reacted okay enough to not overwhelming hospitals.

But how much have we proactively done besides that? Kindly suggest the beaverfevers wear a mask?

I think if Merica would have had a more substantive plan in place sooner than later, there wouldn’t be so much unrest about wtf are we supposed to do now.
To me it is pretty clear what we're supposed to be doing and has been for the last 45ish days. I'm not sure what other kind of guidance you need?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Anything that gives us a better idea of what we’re up against.

Exhaustive testing.

Ample PPE.

Opening in accordance with the guidelines for opening, cuz we actually see cases decline for two weeks, instead of cuz we just like got bored and shit.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

We have PPE, beds, ventilators, etc. from most of what I am seeing in most areas...although I read recently some orders of PPE fell thru, and other shipments from foreign companies came in subpar condition.

We have testing, not as much as "we" want, but a lot of tests are being done each day....the problem is 15% of the time the tests give a false negative. Not sure we can totally blame the government for that.

Most places are "opening in accordance with guidelines"... but there isn't a 1 size fits all solution...my state as a whole is operating under the guidelines....but the rural areas who aren't nearly as impacted rightfully feel more safe opening already.

There are a lot of people who simply don't agree with shutting everything down...i don't necessarily agree with them, but they've got a higher risk tolerance for possibly catching covid19...and the vast majority are correct that they'll survive...now some states (Georgia comes to mind) obviously rushed a bit, but if you've noticed most people didn't rush out just because the governor said they could. Many businesses stayed closed. Most people don't need the politicians making decisions for them. They watch the news and will decide for themselves when its safe to resume some normal activities.

Estimations I've seen range anywhere from 5x-20x as many people have already had this as are being reported as positive cases because they werent tested because symptoms were mild and/or the didnt show symptoms at all...that means for the vast majority of people this virus is far less deadly than the 5% mortality rate we currently show for the units states. Its obviously deadly. 15 people from a nursing home have died near me, with over 90 people confirmed infected from that facility. So I'm not 1 of those "its just like the flu" people because its not.

I personally think we have done a pretty decent job responding to this. Not perfect. But thats nearly impossible.

I do think it's turning more and more political though, which is stupid. And both sides look stupid when they clearly try to make it political....the left is doom and gloom and saying we're doing a bad job, can't open anything until there is a vaccine (which isn't realistic)....the right is willing to risk some additional deaths if it helps the economy get back open sooner. To me, both stances are wrong.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well that same side is still, by saying they are trying to think for everyone else, and not considering how the other side may be thinking differently about the situation than they are, saying that we know what is best for you.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

So, what has everyone been doing now that the country has opened up some? Are folks that have been screaming about the "ruined economy" zooming around injecting their money back into the economy?

Things that I have done differently now that my city has opened up:

1) Got a haircut

That's it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Nothing differently so far.
When restaurants open in June, if they don't require a mask, i'll go to one with a bar and try to bring back some normalcy.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:27 am So, what has everyone been doing now that the country has opened up some? Are folks that have been screaming about the "ruined economy" zooming around injecting their money back into the economy?

1) Got a haircut

That's it.
I’ve been out every day and am going out again tonight. If we don’t support the businesses, they will close.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:33 am
twocoach wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:27 am So, what has everyone been doing now that the country has opened up some? Are folks that have been screaming about the "ruined economy" zooming around injecting their money back into the economy?

1) Got a haircut

That's it.
I’ve been out every day and am going out again tonight. If we don’t support the businesses, they will close.
Very noble of you. I mean it.
Not trying to be a smart ass by asking this, trying to understand reasoning.
You obviously can't support every business so do you feel guilty supporting some businesses that may not need your business as much as others that may need your business - and how do you determine which businesses need your business more than others if you really do care?
Second question/s. If a business owner or an employee gets sick, and then their customers get sick, and then their customers get someone else sick, when does the chain end? I know it's a risk we ALL should probably be taking - at some point - but do you have any sympathy or even understanding for those who may (or may not) have lost loved ones and are still scared and are not yet ready to go back out in to society and back to "re-opening"?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:51 am

1) Got a haircut

That's it.
Very noble of you. I mean it.
Not trying to be a smart ass by asking this, trying to understand reasoning.
You obviously can't support every business so do you feel guilty supporting some businesses that may not need your business as much as others that may need your business - and how do you determine which businesses need your business more than others if you really do care?
Second question/s. If a business owner or an employee gets sick, and then their customers get sick, and then their customers get someone else sick, when does the chain end? I know it's a risk we ALL should probably be taking - at some point - but do you have any sympathy or even understanding for those who may (or may not) have lost loved ones and are still scared and are not yet ready to go back out in to society and back to "re-opening"?
I try to support locally-owned businesses first. They are my neighbors and friends, not to mention the parents of my students. I have been fortunate to suffer minimal financial losses thus far compared to others around me, so I feel an obligation to help as much as I can.

I understand the fear, and I respect the right of each person to do as he or she sees fit to protect themselves and their families. All I can do is help where I can and hope that others will choose to stop living in fear someday soon.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

1) Got a haircut

That's it.
"Been out". What does that mean? I have "been out" to the grocery store and the hardware store but I was doing that before things opened up.

We might go sit on the patio for dinner tomorrow night at the nearby local Mexican place that my wife likes but how the heck do you eat at a restaurant with a mask on?
Last edited by twocoach on Sat May 09, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

1) Got a haircut

That's it.
I mean, that's what "they" want you to think.

I think the unemployment and economic numbers are being grossly inflated by a government and media joint conspiracy to control you and force you to spend you money and scare you into thinking you need to spend money by showing you thesr magical numbers.

See how silly it sounds?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I doubt it.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:48 pm

1) Got a haircut

That's it.

I think the unemployment and economic numbers are being grossly inflated by a government and media joint conspiracy to control you and force you to spend you money and scare you into thinking you need to spend money by showing you thesr magical numbers.

See how silly it sounds?
ftw
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:46 pm

1) Got a haircut

That's it.
"Been out". What does that mean? I have "been out" to the grocery store and the hardware store but I was doing that before things opened up.

We might go sit on the patio for dinner tomorrow night at the nearby local Mexican place that my wife likes but how the heck do you eat at a restaurant with a mask on?
Been out to get something to eat or to purchase things at an establishment that was formerly closed. I am desperately in need of a haircut, but those places aren't yet cleared to open around here, otherwise I would have done that as well.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:48 pm

1) Got a haircut

That's it.

See how silly it sounds?
I get your point. I don't agree with it, but I see what you are getting at.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Heck, some of these restaurants are selling more with less expenses to staff than ever. A few might not be in a hurry to have to pay waiters and waitresses again with how well their takeout service is working.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:58 pm Heck, some of these restaurants are selling more with less expenses to staff than ever. A few might not be in a hurry to have to pay waiters and waitresses again with how well their takeout service is working.
They are also getting gouged in fees by GrubHub, DoorDash and the like. I’m guessing it’s not super profitable this way, either. Most of what waitstaff make is in tips, anyway.