COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Mjl

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Mjl »

HouseDivided wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:10 am
Geezer wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:38 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:16 pm

Primarily elderly, unhealthy, and immune compromised. That’s a risk I’m willing to take.
It's not about you, it's about the people you could infect.
People who are worried about their health should stay home, not those who are healthy. It’s common sense.
Common sense is a term used by people either stupid or mentally lazy who can't justify things.

So everyone those people interact with also need to stay home. And everyone those people interact with. And everyone those people interact with.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

psych, how do you feel about abortion?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:39 am psych, how do you feel about abortion?
My thinking has evolved over the years.it is not something I would do, but I don’t feel like I have a right to tell others what to do with their bodies, nor to shame them for not doing what I would do.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Mjl wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:35 am

People who are worried about their health should stay home, not those who are healthy. It’s common sense.
Common sense is a term used by people either stupid or mentally lazy who can't justify things.

So everyone those people interact with also need to stay home. And everyone those people interact with. And everyone those people interact with.
Apparently, European governments understand what needs to happen. It is the elderly and infirm who don't.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/older-euro ... 1589112002

"The pushback risks undercutting a major pillar in health authorities’ strategy for reopening Europe’s economy: Allow the young and healthy to resume activity while keeping the people most susceptible to the disease in isolation. That could allow countries to avoid another wave of deadly infections and future economic shutdowns.

European authorities began issuing guidelines in April aimed at limiting the activities of people above a certain age once the lockdown lifted, assuming older generations were willing to cooperate. Younger people, who face fewer health risks from the virus, had only a month earlier fulfilled their end of the social contract—calling off weddings, vacations and staying home from work and school—in order to protect their parents and grandparents.

Instead, the guidelines sparked a wave of opposition from one of Europe’s largest and wealthiest demographics. Older people decried the move as ageist, forcing governments to backpedal."
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Starting to hit close to home.

The hospital where Mrs 99 works has the contract with the prison here. Seems there are a lot of male inmates testing positive, women are not being tested. If they get sick, they end up on my wife's floor.

In other great news, my daughter, son in law and grand daughter tested positive today.
Broham
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ugh. The very best wishes to them and you, 99.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

so sorry to hear that. Hopefully they all recover without severe symptoms.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Damn
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Sorry to hear it, 99.

Hoping for the best.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

hang in there, 99!

I'm afeared these "close to home" stories are only gonna get more common.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Sorry to hear it 99! Of course I wish them all the best.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Thanks guys. Let's all try to get along, ok?
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Stay well 99, i hope the best for you and all of them. Heres to a swift and full recovery.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:16 pm

Primarily elderly, unhealthy, and immune compromised. That’s a risk I’m willing to take.
It is virtually impossible to stay home 100% if you are an at-risk individual. Everyone needs to resupply. Many are at-risk because of underlying medical conditions that require them to go to a doctor's office, to treatment or to a pharmacy.

Screaming about the violation of YOUR civil liberties in having to wear a mask when you go out while subsequently telling others they should just stay in their houses for potentially months more is the absurdity we're talking about. And even if a person does manage to stay in their house 100% over the next few months, they can do so only thanks to people bringing them what they need as in delivery drivers and in-home health care workers. And if you are one of the tens and tens of thousands of people who are carrying COVID-19 but show zero symptoms and the person you breathe on at the store turns out to be the person resupplying that at-risk person holed up in their home then you have just increased their chance of death.
Deleted User 310

I still haven't had to wear a mask yet...so I think the mask thing gets a little blown out of proportion for nearly everyone living outside of major cities where there are more scenarios where masks make sense.

I have 1 in my car. I take it with me everywhere I go... and most people are wearing them when in places where they are required or places where it makes sense to wear one....even when out for work the other day (never got out of the car) in a small rural town I noticed multiple people coming out of the dollar general wearing masks....so I think for the most part people want to do the right thing when it comes to masks.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:48 pm

It is virtually impossible to stay home 100% if you are an at-risk individual. Everyone needs to resupply. Many are at-risk because of underlying medical conditions that require them to go to a doctor's office, to treatment or to a pharmacy.

Screaming about the violation of YOUR civil liberties in having to wear a mask when you go out while subsequently telling others they should just stay in their houses for potentially months more is the absurdity we're talking about. And even if a person does manage to stay in their house 100% over the next few months, they can do so only thanks to people bringing them what they need as in delivery drivers and in-home health care workers. And if you are one of the tens and tens of thousands of people who are carrying COVID-19 but show zero symptoms and the person you breathe on at the store turns out to be the person resupplying that at-risk person holed up in their home then you have just increased their chance of death.
I’ve never said anything about objecting to wearing a mask.
Deleted User 310

I think what HD is saying is that its totally reasonable for high risk individuals to remain in lock down for the foreseeable future until a vaccine or effective treatment is in place.

For others its reasonable to begin resuming life in some form of new normal because they're healthy enough that they'll likely survive covid19 if they get it. This category should absolutely still be cautious and take measures to help prevent the spread.

Everyone has different risk factors and risk tolerance. Everyone has to weigh their personal situation (health and financial).

I am being overly cautious...but I'm also aware that everything can't stay shutdown for the next 6months+. Eventually there will be massive business closures (its already happening). Eventually we will run out of food supply if enough people aren't working. There just isn't a 1 size fits all solution.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:38 pm I think what HD is saying is that its totally reasonable for high risk individuals to remain in lock down for the foreseeable future until a vaccine or effective treatment is in place.

For others its reasonable to begin resuming life in some form of new normal because they're healthy enough that they'll likely survive covid19 if they get it. This category should absolutely still be cautious and take measures to help prevent the spread.

Everyone has different risk factors and risk tolerance. Everyone has to weigh their personal situation (health and financial).

I am being overly cautious...but I'm also aware that everything can't stay shutdown for the next 6months+. Eventually there will be massive business closures (its already happening). Eventually we will run out of food supply if enough people aren't working. There just isn't a 1 size fits all solution.
That is essentially what I am saying. Somebody has to work and spend money to pay taxes to take care of those who can’t. I hate to keep using the term “common sense”, but it fits.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

HouseDivided wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:44 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:38 pm I think what HD is saying is that its totally reasonable for high risk individuals to remain in lock down for the foreseeable future until a vaccine or effective treatment is in place.

That is essentially what I am saying. Somebody has to work and spend money to pay taxes to take care of those who can’t. I hate to keep using the term “common sense”, but it fits.
Hey, wouldn't it be cool if, somehow, there were tax dollars available for these scenarios....and not being used to buy a 3rd yacht or a 5th vacation home?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:05 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:44 pm

Hey, wouldn't it be cool if, somehow, there were tax dollars available for these scenarios....and not being used to buy a 3rd yacht or a 5th vacation home?
Thats not how capitalism works. Also, you should be glad because if it worked that way youd be out of a job. No titos margs by the pool
Just Ledoux it