COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by ousdahl »

The flyovers are so dumb.

What’s the operating costs of a fighter jet? How many N95 masks per gallon?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:03 am So on a whim my roommate is going on an interstate road trip to see his elderly parents! Liberty over fear woo!

I told him I think it’s irresponsible, and is putting himself, his high risk demographic parents, and others at unnecessary risk. I also told him he should consider some way to self-isolate for two weeks before coming back here. But other than that, dunno what I can do.

Am I being a dick or is he?
You. Dick. But you knew that.
Last edited by MICHHAWK on Tue May 12, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:28 am The flyovers are so dumb.

I get the sentiment. But those flyovers are also training exercises, which are folded into operational budgets. They're not extra.

One of the B-2 pilots lives not far from me. The B-2 flyovers are actually training bombing runs (precise time-on-target exercises). All computers are 'go' - a specific thing within the stadium is identified as the target.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This thread, today, illustrates whey we needed the state-mandated stay-at-home orders in the first place.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:37 am there’s a good in-laws joke in there somewhere.
Where's TJ when we need him?
Broham
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:39 am

I get the sentiment. But those flyovers are also training exercises, which are folded into operational budgets. They're not extra.

One of the B-2 pilots lives not far from me. The B-2 flyovers are actually training bombing runs (precise time-on-target exercises). All computers are 'go' - a specific thing within the stadium is identified as the target.
i was at a small runway north of KC, getting ready to go skydiving when a B2 made a number of passes (this was a couple years ago, at least) right over us

it was an awesome sight, and somewhat bizarre to see that silhouette against the sky when it banked for a turn
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:38 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:03 am So on a whim my roommate is going on an interstate road trip to see his elderly parents! Liberty over fear woo!

I told him I think it’s irresponsible, and is putting himself, his high risk demographic parents, and others at unnecessary risk. I also told him he should consider some way to self-isolate for two weeks before coming back here. But other than that, dunno what I can do.

Am I being a dick or is he?
You. Dick. But you knew that.
I was going to answer - both or neither.

Mich - Go back to your college days. I assume you either lived in an apartment, dorm, or frat house.
Now consider the same exact scenario ousdahl posted about.
You wouldn't take issue with your roommate doing the same thing and then coming back to live with you? Not sure I would think you're a dick if you did. Maybe. Maybe not.
I'm pretty sure I would think your roommate was a dick - if he didn't give a damn about you.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This thread, also, today, illustrates that CnB continues to be an entitled, pretentious asshole.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh boy.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:53 am

i was at a small runway north of KC, getting ready to go skydiving when a B2 made a number of passes (this was a couple years ago, at least) right over us

it was an awesome sight, and somewhat bizarre to see that silhouette against the sky when it banked for a turn
It truly is a spectacular sight.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh, it’s actually kinda cool then, that they can make it coincide with training exercises happening anyway.

We had one scheduled last week, for two F18s to fly over our town promptly at 5:08pm.

Around noon, a B52 randomly and unexpectedly flew over, at a way low altitude, so it felt like it was right on top of you, and you could feel it in your chest and everything.

Then, at like 4:56, two fighter jets skimmed by up high. So much for the schedule, and smaller craft at higher speed and greater altitude just wasn’t the same. Everyone agreed the random B52 was way cooler.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I have 90 year old mother that lives alone. Is she supposed to just wither and die in isolation.

I go see her almost everyday. I do not go inside. She comes out. If it’s nice enough we stand outside. If not we go inside her garage. We stay 6 feet apart minimum.

Are the old people just supposed to wither and die in lonesome isolation.

What say the elite about that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Bro, you’re the one staying 6 feet apart.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:22 am I have 90 year old mother that lives alone. Is she supposed to just wither and die in isolation.

I go see her almost everyday. I do not go inside. She comes out. If it’s nice enough we stand outside. If not we go inside her garage. We stay 6 feet apart minimum.

My mom turns 90 next month. Would love to have a celebration fit for the occasion. We won't. Because it's dangerous for her. I'm not sure what your point is. You want your mom to carry on like nothing is wrong?
Broham
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:53 am

It truly is a spectacular sight.
Interesting to hear/read other people's take/s.
I live in a building in which planes fly over during the Chicago Air & Water Show.
One Friday (used to be known as "practice day") I took the day off from work. I was up on my rooftop (60 stories above the ground) and an F-Something flew what was more than but seemed to be about 100 feet over my head. Deafening, body rattling, incredible experience.
Nothing can replicate or top that for me.
Will be very difficult for me to find the video but if I can, I will happily share it.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Where in my post did I state that the old people should carry on like nothing is wrong. How could you come to that conclusion?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:34 am Where in my post did I state that the old people should carry on like nothing is wrong. How could you come to that conclusion?
Because of your whining about not being able to play golf? Ride in a boat?
Broham
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i was hiking the Wichita Mtns west of Norman early last spring and was treated to what looked like training exercises by fighter jets (not sure the variety) right around dusk

plenty of Top Gun references ensued

with Dugway and Hill AFB nearby, we’ve got plenty of opportunity to see fighter jets, but the B2 is still the most memorable
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:22 am I have 90 year old mother that lives alone. Is she supposed to just wither and die in isolation.

My mom turns 90 next month. Would love to have a celebration fit for the occasion. We won't. Because it's dangerous for her. I'm not sure what your point is. You want your mom to carry on like nothing is wrong?
No kidding. We keep my mom out of the house right now, not because we're afraid of her, but for her.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:34 am Where in my post did I state that the old people should carry on like nothing is wrong. How could you come to that conclusion?
Is this question open to everyone or just the "elites?"