Re: Ahmaud Arbery

Post by ousdahl »

well, evening wood by now.

Way more than 4 hours

better call the doctor.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I'm hoping the harshness of the thread topic is the reason for deflection to wood related puns.
Frankly, I find it dismissive. Similar to when we have mass shootings. Someone posts something and then it's right back to - oh well, just another day in America.

Now excuse me while I birch about something else on another thread. Did I do that right?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

seahawk wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:47 pm
TDub wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:47 pm So what youre saying is that you are only speaking about what happens in your exact neighborhood. Ive been in construction for 20 years and worked in 4 different states. Im calling you arrogant because you believe what happens in your neighborhood is what is important and is able to be a blanket statement across the country. Im not masplaining anything, I'm telling you what its like in other parts of the country that arent in the bubble you live in.

Sorry again if that doesnt fit your narrative.
I never claimed to speak about anything but my neighborhood and in fact, said "My neighborhood/my neighbors" in 4 or 5 posts. But you disputed what I said about my own neighborhood. And I did look up Glynn County, Georgia and Brunswick, GA and the neighborhood where this took place and that county and that neighborhood--even before you started in with your usual mansplaining lecture at me. That county and that neighborhood are rather more like my own than the Pacific Northwest. Except that the houses on the water are quite a bit less expensive than where I live.
Wait. Your rant about undocumented immigrants building ramshackle umpermitted homes with leftover lumber from their jobs was your attmept at educating us all to the southern state of mind so that we could better understand this senseless murder?

Thats what I'm supposed to get out of that? Quit with the masplaining nonsense, thats bullshit.
Just Ledoux it
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

I was making fun of you and your insistent mansplaining about parts of the country that you have no familiarity with, TDub. And I never said or implied "ramshackle" anything--there's lots of unpermitted construction goes on in my county.

Now an unpermitted seawall, that can land you in a heap of trouble, costly trouble. I expect the same is true in Glynn County, GA. As for your stuff about dumpsters, the decent lumber is piled up elsewhere in the yard and taken away and what's at the top of a dumpster are the odds and ends that are not much use. At least that's been true for the 14 houses that have been constructed or renovated in the last year on the 1 block street where I walk my dogs every day.
Don't inject Lysol.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

" So, the undocumented laborers are going to take the lumber back to their trailers to build small unpermitted houses on someone's lot where they live, so they can house more families than are legal on the lot?"

I'm sure you meant they were class A houses yea?

Quit with the mansplaining, i explain things the same to you as i do to anyone else. To call it mansplaining when its directed at you is embarassing for you. Its another attempt at finding misogyny where it doesnt exist.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

And what does an unpermitted seawall in glynn county have to do with anything? Was arbery building a wall? Were gis murderers? Didnt think so, i don't think any Florida or Georgia building codes have much to do with anything that anyone has said.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Also, lets remember this all started from me saying you shouldn't enter a jobsite and take things that aren't yours, whether you think its trash or not, its not yours. Seems like a pretty innocuous statement to lead to you talking about illegals workers and unpermitted seawalls.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Grandma wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:31 pm I'm hoping the harshness of the thread topic is the reason for deflection to wood related puns.
Frankly, I find it dismissive. Similar to when we have mass shootings. Someone posts something and then it's right back to - oh well, just another day in America.

Now excuse me while I birch about something else on another thread. Did I do that right?
Yes, Gutter, I was trying to change the subject and get a little levity in here. Did not mean to trivialize anything. I was hoping we could get into a round of stupid puns and quit sniping at each other.
Broham
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

All good and completely understandable. I figured as such.
Fully realize I am not the thread Nazi and should not be dictating what should and shouldn't be posted on it.
Humor is an excellent way to "diffuse" and divert away from an uncomfortable situation/topic.
30 years ago I had a girlfriend who would laugh at terrible things. While embarrassing for me, it was her coping mechanism.
As far as quitting sniping at each other - I get that it's unpleasant for you. Especially when you put it in to perspective of what you are personally going through right now.
To me, "sniping" is ok. It's when the purposely hurtful insults and name calling come in. Then I feel it's gone too far.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:49 am All other things aside. Black, white, Hispanic, native, orange, blue, purple. Heres a fun PSA.

People should really stay out of jobsites. Theres a lot of liability issues with that. Additionally, and Im not sure about residential construction, but we usually have a wood specific dumpster. But, please stay out of it, its not your material and usually the owner or the crew want any usable or burnable lumber. IF you ask about it we are fairly likely to give you some but please also stay out of the dumpsters.
Thanks for the PSA, don't disagree.

Speaking of "residential construction", here's a history lesson. In Kansas before the invention of dumpsters, residential job sites had two separate and ever-enlarging piles, the burnable, and the nonburnable. The burn pile was burned multiple times and the nonburnable pile had to be loaded into a pickup and taken to the Sedgwick County dump and then thrown/shoveled out of the pickup bed multiple times over a build. (This violated rule #1 on the job site: "Never handle anything twice.". A lofty, if impractical goal, but worth striving for.). "Liability issues" notwithstanding, anything anyone removed from either pile, but especially the nonburnable pile, meant less work/trips to that smelly county dump* for us, and we appreciated it.

Fast forward several decades to Orlando. No doubt commercial sites are larger than residential, where the dumpsters were on the street in front of the homes under construction, so there was no need to enter the job sites to access them. For me, if I took anything from the job site, I'd consider that stealing. It never occurred to me, or apparently my neighbors, that anything and everything in the dumpsters wasn't up for grabs, before the truck with the hydraulics would arrive and exchange them randomly. Thankfully, the move from KC was paid for, so I didn't arrive in Orlando needing hardly anything. But, when they tore up the pavers at another house that were the same as mine and loaded them into the dumpster across the street from me, I helped myself to plenty of them in case any of mine ever cracked. And, I don't feel guilty.

*I will never forget the smell of that dump. Blech!
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

*I will never forget the smell of Sedgwick County. Blech!

Fixed.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:22 am *I will never forget the smell of Sedgwick County. Blech!

Fixed.
qft

I lived downwind of both the stockyard and the Derby Oil refinery. And while I wouldn't call the smell of a stockyard pleasant, there's an organic nature to the odor that mitigates the level of offensiveness, at least for me.

The absolute worst was when the slaughter houses adjacent to the stockyards would burn the hides of the cattle and pigs. Like burning hair smells, turned up to 11. Another smell I'll never forget.
Derek Cressman
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

TDub wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:52 am And what does an unpermitted seawall in glynn county have to do with anything? Was arbery building a wall? Were gis murderers? Didnt think so, i don't think any Florida or Georgia building codes have much to do with anything that anyone has said.
Seawalls are actually a much bigger deal than walking around residential construction sites. They are the subject of great consternation, arguments among neighbors, people turning other homeowners in to the Code Enforcement authorities, years of Planning Commission dealings and more years of lawsuits. Arbery was killed because he was a black guy in a white resort/retirement community kind of neighborhood and that was unacceptable.

And the self-righteousness about the sanctity of residential construction sites? The neighbor who took the 4 or 5 36" pieces of 2X10s for his yard has almost been run over 3 times so far by the construction delivery vehicles and worker trucks goosing it out of the driveway without looking to where he is working in his front yard. Also, he's dealing with, as we all have, the numerous construction vehicles driving across his front yard and destroying the fragile, carefully nurtured environment.

But, he's a white guy and can complain to the County authorities and be heard. Given what happened with the DA in Glynn County, Ahmaud Arbery couldn't have.
Don't inject Lysol.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This thread is crazy.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:22 am *I will never forget the smell of Sedgwick County. Blech!

Fixed.
I lol'd
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:46 am This thread is crazy.
Sorry. My fault. I should know better than to engage.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

^^^

Thankfully, basketball season will be here soon, so there's that.
Derek Cressman
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:11 am
Sorry. My fault. I should know better than to engage.
Your initial post was a mellow throwaway.

I still can’t believe Arbery is the 2nd biggest victim in this thread.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

The scary thing about this murder was not the two hot-headed gun totin' Southerners murdered someone, crazy people kill someone all the time. It's not that they killed a black guy--what's new in the South?

It's that McMichael was a long term policeman and DA investigator AND that the Republican lady DA was willing to just let this go by, as were her counterpart South Georgia Republican DAs. Republican leaders allowed the racists in the South to continue to let the worst kind of racists continue among the ranks of the police.

Until you have a new Voting Rights Act, federal investigation and prosecution of all kinds of hate crimes that the Southern Republican DAs won't investigate and prosecute, we'll still see this kind of murder from time to time.
Don't inject Lysol.