Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:39 pm

buuut I feel like there is a significant portion of Mericans who can't even open themselves to the idea that potus could be doing a better job.
A total mystery how he wins.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Agenda 30
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I know. You've said.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Maybe my favorite understated quote of all time: “some poor soul on pool staff has to go fish out the poop. It's a pretty thankless job.”
Not altogether thankless? Turd wrangling is thankless if my dogs are any test.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

On the one hand, I wear a mask wherever I go, which is rarely anywhere, mostly to the grocery store, and I've had my kids padlocked in a room in the basement for months.

On the other hand, wannabe-totalitarians like trad and Geezer do seem to be getting their rocks off on this.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

What international travel can be like these days.

(For reference, Hong Kong has had 4 total deaths, and one new case diagnosed so far today.)

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:33 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:17 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:13 pm lol at assuming everyone else will take reasonable precautions
I know, right? Cuz all us dummies out here can’t be trusted to think for ourselves. That’s what gummint’s for!
are you blind, or just ignorant?

there are already countless published examples of idiots across the country NOT being reasonable
By your standards they are being unreasonable. No one is required to accept your standards as the gold standard.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:44 pm I know. You've said.
Shhh! He thinks he’s being clever.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I was gonna quote feral's post but don't want to perpetuate a bajillion tweets.

what's international travel like elsewhere? can you even get in or out of Merica right now?

what's everyone's reaction to the compulsory protocols in Hong Kong?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

One of the world’s oldest and best-known medical journals Friday slammed President Trump’s “inconsistent and incoherent national response” to the novel coronavirus pandemic and accused the administration of relegating the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to a “nominal” role.

The unsigned editorial from the Lancet concluded that Trump should be replaced.

“Americans must put a president in the White House come January, 2021, who will understand that public health should not be guided by partisan politics,” said the journal, which was founded in Britain in 1823.

The strongly worded critique highlights mounting frustration with the administration’s response among some of the world’s top medical researchers. Medical journals sometimes run signed editorials that take political stances, but rarely do publications with the Lancet’s influence use the full weight of their editorial boards to call for a president to be voted out of office.

“It’s not common for a journal to do that ⁠ — but the scientific community is getting increasingly concerned with the dangerous politicization of science during this pandemic crisis,” said Benjamin Corb, public affairs director for the nonprofit American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. “We watch as political leaders tout unproven medics advice, and public health and science experts are vilified as partisans — all while people continue to get sick and die.”

[...]
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:28 pm

One of the world’s oldest and best-known medical journals Friday slammed President Trump’s “inconsistent and incoherent national response” to the novel coronavirus pandemic and accused the administration of relegating the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to a “nominal” role.

The unsigned editorial from the Lancet concluded that Trump should be replaced.

“Americans must put a president in the White House come January, 2021, who will understand that public health should not be guided by partisan politics,” said the journal, which was founded in Britain in 1823.

The strongly worded critique highlights mounting frustration with the administration’s response among some of the world’s top medical researchers. Medical journals sometimes run signed editorials that take political stances, but rarely do publications with the Lancet’s influence use the full weight of their editorial boards to call for a president to be voted out of office.

“It’s not common for a journal to do that ⁠ — but the scientific community is getting increasingly concerned with the dangerous politicization of science during this pandemic crisis,” said Benjamin Corb, public affairs director for the nonprofit American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. “We watch as political leaders tout unproven medics advice, and public health and science experts are vilified as partisans — all while people continue to get sick and die.”

[...]
Lulz. And they were all solidly behind him right up until COVID-19, right?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:15 pm I was gonna quote feral's post but don't want to perpetuate a bajillion tweets.

what's international travel like elsewhere? can you even get in or out of Merica right now?

My question would be whether life is any better in Hong Kong, aside from the fact that fewer people are testing positive for COVID-19. Being tracked and having your movement limited sounds de rigueur for people living under Chicom rule, but once those limitations are in place, what's the guarantee that they ever go away? It reminds me of the justification for tolls on the Kansas Turnpike. Initially, it was to pay for the construction of the road, but once the government got used to the additional revenue, they made it permanent. Same principle.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Talk to me when Trump retracts his claim that there were more people at his inauguration than Obama’s. You just proved the opposite of what you think you wanted to prove. The retraction enhances Lancet’s reputation, not diminish it.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:17 pm

I know, right? Cuz all us dummies out here can’t be trusted to think for ourselves. That’s what gummint’s for!

there are already countless published examples of idiots across the country NOT being reasonable
By your standards they are being unreasonable. No one is required to accept your standards as the gold standard.
And vice versa - of course.

My "standard" for people to be "reasonable" is for them to use common sense and be respectful.
Some people choose not to do both.
Be honest, do you agree with both sentences, one sentence, or neither sentence?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:33 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:15 pm I was gonna quote feral's post but don't want to perpetuate a bajillion tweets.

My question would be whether life is any better in Hong Kong, aside from the fact that fewer people are testing positive for COVID-19. Being tracked and having your movement limited sounds de rigueur for people living under Chicom rule, but once those limitations are in place, what's the guarantee that they ever go away? It reminds me of the justification for tolls on the Kansas Turnpike. Initially, it was to pay for the construction of the road, but once the government got used to the additional revenue, they made it permanent. Same principle.
It is awfully tempting to brush this question aside and say of course I’d take Hong Kong. My life is pretty mundane! And, besides, I’m sure there’s a couple dozen different things in my phone tracking me with startling precision.

Of course, being cavalier on this point presumes that those with the ability to access and use those tools will not do it in a way harmful to me or others.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:55 am
HouseDivided wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 pm

And vice versa - of course.

My "standard" for people to be "reasonable" is for them to use common sense and be respectful.
Some people choose not to do both.
Be honest, do you agree with both sentences, one sentence, or neither sentence?
I don’t know how to answer your question. We all have standards for what we consider to be reasonable, common-sense, and respectful. Only sociopaths intentionally operate outside that sphere. The division and conflict in our culture today is the result of everybody being butt-hurt because other people aren’t adhering to their standards. Irrational fear -which is the point of the whole Plandemic -causes just that.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jfish26 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:38 am

It is awfully tempting to brush this question aside and say of course I’d take Hong Kong. My life is pretty mundane! And, besides, I’m sure there’s a couple dozen different things in my phone tracking me with startling precision.

Of course, being cavalier on this point presumes that those with the ability to access and use those tools will not do it in a way harmful to me or others.
I would argue that’s a dangerous presumption. If they can lock you in your hotel room, who’s to say they have to let you out? Maybe they decide you “have a fever” until your voting preference changes, or your religious beliefs, or your attitude about climate change. It’s a slippery slope that I don’t want to start down.
Last edited by HouseDivided on Sat May 16, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:09 am
jfish26 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:38 am

I would argue that’s a dangerous presumption. If they can lock you in your hotel room, who’s to say they have to let you out? Maybe they decide you “have a fever” until your voting presence changes, or your religious beliefs, or your attitude about climate change. It’s a slippery slope that I don’t want to start down.
I get it. And I agree.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

We live in a country where one of Psych's beloved Keep It All Open Republicans is suing Indian Reservations to try and make them remove their restrictions and he talks attitudes and "standards" in Hong Kong--amazing!

Can one spell HyP0crITe?
Don't inject Lysol.