Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
seahawk

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by seahawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:07 am 1. That story sounds made up so you can further your agenda.

2. I call bull$#it that an 80 year old was accosted at a farmers market for wearing a mask.

Nice try though. Very feral of you.
MICHHAWK wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:07 am 1. That story sounds made up so you can further your agenda.

2. I call bull$#it that an 80 year old was accosted at a farmers market for wearing a mask.

Nice try though. Very feral of you.
1. I'd bother to lie on a forum like this? Giggle.

2. You live in a state where there are all kinds of photos of the Bubbas acting out and you choose to call me a liar? Lol.

3. I spent a bunch of time in my life listening to interviews and going to trainings about interviewing and sitting through trials and the thing about the truth is that it usually involves details. Had I been lying, I might have said, "My female friend went to the grocery store and one of the Bubbas got on her about wearing a mask." But, my small story included that she was in her 80s, wife of a USAF veteran, she lived all over the world, that it was a small store, that it was a farmer's market, that it was owned by farmers.

I know the store is owned by farmers because I once wrote a story for a local online publication and visited their farm. Was worried that they'd go out of business when the Publix opened just next door, but they adapted with organic produce and all kinds of grass fed and no-antibiotic meat and Amish cheese, hydroponically grown veggies from their greenhouses and boiled fresh shrimp and crawfish. Oh, those details.

Oh, and my friend's daughter who was with her probably had more restraint than most women in my community, as she spent her teen years living in a compound in Saudi Arabia where her dad sold American made planes to the Saudis. Details.

4. I would provide further details and maybe even a photo of the store, but I've always been leery of such from the time back when Psych was a moderator on .com and gave out people's real names so that others could dox them.
Don't inject Lysol.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 am i agree with everything but the notion related to affordability and making college available to everyone

i think there is a false idea that college is for everyone, or should be. so many degrees seem to be watered down, and don’t do much for the degree-holder once they’ve graduated other than increase their debt
I do think that there needs to be a massive rethinking of the default position that what you should do after high school IS go to a four-year university. It is incredibly wasteful - and burdensome - for a kid to rack up car- or down-payment-sized debt just to figure out what he or she does or doesn't want to do.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

More of this is needed and will continue to happen as people refuse to buy into the Plandemic:

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/police-to-n ... a-good-day

“We are and only were here for everybody's safety today. We planned for the worst and hoped for the best, and it seems like that's what we have out here today," the officer said to the owners and surrounding crowd.

"Formally, you are all in violation of the executive order. On that note, have a good day. Everybody be safe," the officer said before walking away as the crowd erupted in cheers.”
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:05 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 am i agree with everything but the notion related to affordability and making college available to everyone

i think there is a false idea that college is for everyone, or should be. so many degrees seem to be watered down, and don’t do much for the degree-holder once they’ve graduated other than increase their debt
I do think that there needs to be a massive rethinking of the default position that what you should do after high school IS go to a four-year university. It is incredibly wasteful - and burdensome - for a kid to rack up car- or down-payment-sized debt just to figure out what he or she does or doesn't want to do.
The opinion on this question has shifted dramatically over the last few years. I think the virus shifts it even more. Like employer-paid health care, it's a anachronistic historical quirk anyway, so breaking up the present consensus is a good thing.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:20 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:05 pm

The opinion on this question has shifted dramatically over the last few years. I think the virus shifts it even more. Like employer-paid health care, it's a anachronistic historical quirk anyway, so breaking up the present consensus is a good thing.
Agree with you. And especially with what I think you're getting at, which is that university/dorm/campus life is something particularly vulnerable here, because (a) there will be great reluctance toward mass gatherings, generally, and (b) there will be an acute reluctance to mass gatherings that also cost money that lots of folks will not have or will not want to spend.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 am Psych, your bizarro, paranoid, wrong, hateful, and self-defeating reaction notwithstanding, my heart goes out to you and everyone dealing with the pandemic. But in this particular case, especially, if this guy is right, those of you employed in higher education.

Scott Galloway teaches brand management and digital marketing to second-year MBA students at the New York University Stern School of Business, he's also a public speaker, author, and entrepreneur. In 1992, he founded Prophet, a brand and marketing consultancy firm that employs over 400 professionals in the United States, Europe, and Asia; in 1997, Galloway founded Red Envelope, one of the earliest e-commerce sites. In 2005 Galloway founded the digital intelligence firm L2 Inc, which was acquired in March 2017 by Gartner, for $155 million, and the now defunct Firebrand Partners (founded in 2005), an activist hedge fund that has invested over $1 billion in U.S. consumer and media companies.

Galloway tends to be provocative in his opinions. I haven't followed him for very long and that might just be part of his schtick, but he is forward thinking and often presents a view I might not otherwise think of/see.

The first video is from Galloway's weekly show on Vice TV. It's 6 minutes about the history of higher education economics and how it got to where it is today, and how the pandemic is going to impact it. The second one is an interview on Sat. morning about that segment from Vice, where Galloway expounds on the future of colleges and universities.

Galloway's thoughts about the future of higher education are eyeopening for me, but I'd be curious to hear what others, especially those working in the industry, think.

It is always easy to see the “logic” and “necessity” of such things when you think it doesn’t impact you directly. You mistakenly think that your Social Security and retirement funds insulate you from being impacted, but you are mistaken. If people like me stop paying into the system and the chain of dominoes touched off by colleges and universities shutting their doors runs its course, your portfolio will be worthless.

Higher Ed isn’t just professors and administrators. It is hourly workers, contractors, vendors, publishers, technology, and local businesses. And that doesn’t factor in the impact of flooding the job market with cheap labor four to six years earlier than normal. In sociology we call that a latent effect. Wages will drop, people age 50 and older will be forced into early retirement, and the system will collapse - you included.

Oh, and you can keep your insincere sympathy and condescending reassurances. I’d tell you where you can stick them, but I’m guessing you already know.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

DC is correct that it's largely an anachronistic historical quirk from the Vietnam era and ends up with a lot of kids who are encouraged to go to college and rack up debt and then are in a rage because they're not competitive for jobs, as they weren't really very much college material and they've gotten a degree from a not highly regarded institution.
Last edited by seahawk on Mon May 18, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't inject Lysol.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

This.

You don't need to spend 100,000+ in four years to, say, become a software developer.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

You get out of your education what you put into it. And it is not necessary to saddle yourself with crushing debt to get your degree.

My daughter went two years at the local community college. Then transferred every credit to the university of Michigan. She graduated in 4 years owing nobody nothing.

I will sing the praises of the local community college to anyone that will listen. It allowed her/us to get through college debt free.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:47 pm You get out of your education what you put into it. And it is not necessary to saddle yourself with crushing debt to get your degree.

My daughter went two years at the local community college. Then transferred every credit to the university of Michigan. She graduated in 4 years owing nobody nothing.

I will sing the praises of the local community college to anyone that will listen. It allowed her/us to get through college debt free.
I think the very problem is that, wishcasting aside, this statement is pointed 180 degrees away from the truth. And the rest of your post seems to acknowledge this.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

There are things that work against colleges being doomed.

For one thing. Unemployment going up usually coincides with increased enrollment, for obvious reasons. At my school summer enrollment was actually UP slightly, in spite of being online only, and having some courses not being offered.

The move to online is also an opportunity. Morr continuing ed courses, more certificates, more dual credit, etc.

Also there are enormous differences from discipline to discipline with regard to need for on campus learning. The ability to learn remotely changes a lot for a chemistry major vs history major vs software developer.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:55 pm There are things that work against colleges being doomed.

For one thing. Unemployment going up usually coincides with increased enrollment, for obvious reasons. At my school summer enrollment was actually UP slightly, in spite of being online only, and having some courses not being offered.

The move to online is also an opportunity. Morr continuing ed courses, more certificates, more dual credit, etc.

Also there are enormous differences from discipline to discipline with regard to need for on campus learning. The ability to learn remotely changes a lot for a chemistry major vs history major vs software developer.
God I hope you’re right for my own selfish reasons, but, given the unprecedented nature of it all, how much of this is wishful thinking?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:09 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:55 pm There are things that work against colleges being doomed.

God I hope you’re right for my own selfish reasons, but, given the unprecedented nature of it all, how much of this is wishful thinking?
I mean, a lot of the concerns mentioned are very real, but I don't think it's the whole story, and it tends to paint with broad strokes.

In biology, we're sort of insulated from a lot if this by pre-med, pre-vet, pre-dentistry, pre-PT, people who want to go into biotech, research, etc. I don't think we, as a culture, want a first year medical student who's only done lab simulations. And, if you think you'll make $200,000 as a surgeon, tuition is still worth it.

The other thing is. I don't think most general studies majors start out that way. The number of people who are pre-med for two years and then realize they're not going to be competitive for medical school often hang around for two more years because they don't wantthst time to be completely wasted but may need to change their major. This is part of those watered down degrees trad mentioned. And I don't think that goes away completely as long as the carrot of being a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc. exists.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't think colleges are doomed. I do think you're going to see a lot more age diversity going forward - people not starting undergrad until having spent a couple years working or in an apprenticeship, etc.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:20 pm The opinion on this question has shifted dramatically over the last few years. I think the virus shifts it even more. Like employer-paid health care, it's a anachronistic historical quirk anyway, so breaking up the present consensus is a good thing.
DC coming around to single-payer healthcare side or are you going in the other direction towards chicken-bartering? :)

As pointed out, govt subsidized loans for "college education" is a problem, not a solution. I think it inflates college cost (as the student does not see the consequences of debt) and only leads to unintended proliferation of nefarious players like Phoenix and Trump "Universities"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:31 pm

I don't think colleges are doomed. I do think you're going to see a lot more age diversity going forward - people not starting undergrad until having spent a couple years working or in an apprenticeship, etc.
This is exactly how it should work. Spend a couple years learning how to live away from home, learning about life, learning what your intereats are and then go back to school more focused and with more purpose.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:41 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:20 pm The opinion on this question has shifted dramatically over the last few years. I think the virus shifts it even more. Like employer-paid health care, it's a anachronistic historical quirk anyway, so breaking up the present consensus is a good thing.
DC coming around to single-payer healthcare side or are you going in the other direction towards chicken-bartering? :)

As pointed out, govt subsidized loans for "college education" is a problem, not a solution. I think it inflates college cost (as the student does not see the consequences of debt) and only leads to unintended proliferation of nefarious players like Phoenix and Trump "Universities"
This is honestly one where I can't even wrap my head around the right solution. It's sure easy to figure what isn't right:

* It isn't right for the government (read: the taxpayers) to just pay for college for adults as an extension to high school for kids.

* It isn't right for the government (read: the taxpayers) to simply hand out loans without regard for creditworthiness or ROI.

* It isn't right for only those with their own money/credit (or parents' money/credit) to go to college.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:19 pm
Republicans: We do not care about this Republican president's profligate, deficit-ballooning spending.*

Also Republicans: This Democrat Party president must be chopped off at the knees on spending.

The logic is the same, you see: all of the talking point boogeymen are just that. The party, as presently constituted, cares about nothing besides entrenchment and protection/concentration of power/wealth.

* To be clear - this is the case in normal times. Not just pandemic times.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

How's this for a leap of faith:

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman