Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
HouseDivided

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by HouseDivided »

Leawood wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:38 pm Psych, go to a mall in Wichita or Hutch, walk around, invade folks’ space, and purchase items to stoke the economy. Don’t wear a mask. Also, sit close to your 12 hour a day patients. Don’t wear a mask.

By the way, how is your livelihood in peril when you have so many patients?
I do go to Wichita several times per week and support businesses to stoke the economy. I eat in restaurants several times per week as well, and will start going to other places as they open. Like most people, I wear a mask in Wal-Mart and the grocery store, and I maintain a six foot distance - not because I am worried for myself, but because I don't want to freak out the people around me who are already on the verge of panic.

I see patients three days per week, hence the twelve hour days. I have no desire to make that a full-time gig, hence my livelihood is in peril if schools don't reopen. I doubt you'd be okay with your income being cut in half either.

Any other personal information I can share to sate your curiosity?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Rahm's so right though. Instead of just attacking, say, Kemp and Desantis for opening up, go positive, come up with a plan for opening up and push it hard. It doesn't change actual policy. Right now we're in a place where governors from both parties have plans to open up slowly, but somehow the pubs are labeled as the party of opening up and the Dems are the party of keeping shut down in people's minds.

The Dems would be wise to try to change that narrative.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

The thing about both Kemp and DeSantis is that they won in their primaries over more experienced and reasonable Republicans. Their opponents were conservative but not stupid and as sycophantic to Trump.

Seems like people in both states are aware of just how incompetent they are. DeSantis has a total No-Win situation in Florida, so even if he were competent, he'd be screwed.
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:06 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 am

What’s the end game of democratic governors closing, exactly?
To tank the economy so Dementia Joe has a better chance of winning in November. But you already knew and supported that.
I honestly wonder if tanking the economy truly helps Biden...because if enough Republicans think its being "done on purpose" then it potentially has the exact opposite effect...and/or if enough middle of the road people think Biden can't "bring it back" then it potentially has the exact opposite effect as well.
smh...

"tanking": verb. informal fail completely, especially at great financial cost...

Governors are politicians. Politicians want to get elected and once they do, they generally want to get re-elected. In what alternate universe does a governor who wants to be re-elected think they have a better chance if their state's economy is "tanking", rather than doing well while they're in office? What universe? Which governors?

Answer: None. (Do I really have to say that?)

Illi, we've learned to expect statements like that from Mich, but for you to even suggest that a governor, of either party, would intentionally "tank" their state's economy, for any reason, is politically tone deaf.

Can there be any argument about that? No, there can't. Because it would be political suicide.

Pro tip: Governors do everything they can to try to avoid committing "political suicide".

That being the case, why would a governor keep their state "closed" to any significant extent, if it's going to hurt their state's economy and thereby hurt their chances for re-election?

Could it be that there's a pandemic and as a part of their oath they swore to protect their state's residents, that is, that they're acting for the common good as opposed to acting in a politically expedient way?

It's worth considering.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Feral wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:03 pm

To tank the economy so Dementia Joe has a better chance of winning in November. But you already knew and supported that.
I honestly wonder if tanking the economy truly helps Biden...because if enough Republicans think its being "done on purpose" then it potentially has the exact opposite effect...and/or if enough middle of the road people think Biden can't "bring it back" then it potentially has the exact opposite effect as well.
smh...

"tanking": verb. informal fail completely, especially at great financial cost...

Governors are politicians. Politicians want to get elected and once they do, they generally want to get re-elected. In what alternate universe does a governor who wants to be re-elected think they have a better chance if their state's economy is "tanking", rather than doing well while they're in office? What universe? Which governors?

Illi, we've learned to expect statements like that from Mich, but for you to even suggest that a governor, of either party, would intentionally "tank" their state's economy, for any reason, is politically tone deaf.

Can there be any argument about that? No, there can't. Because it would be political suicide.

Pro tip: Governors do everything they can to try to avoid committing "political suicide".

That being the case, why would a governor keep their state "closed" to any significant extent, if it's going to hurt their state's economy and thereby hurt their chances for re-election?

Could it be that there's a pandemic and as a part of their oath they swore to protect their state's residents, that is, that they're acting for the common good as opposed to acting in a politically expedient way?

It's worth considering.
Occam's razor is bullshit. It's a mass global conspiracy.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

DeSantis really is screwed because there's no way in this pandemic to look good for Florida voters--for him. He's so tied to Trump at a time when older voters are moving away from the President.

Florida is about All Real Estate All the Time and DeSantis has to appease the 2nd homeowners who've overextended themselves and need that rental income to have a prayer of staying afloat, which means opening the beaches and letting the tourists crowd into restaurants and stores as if there were no virus whatsoever. We're not talking Spring Breaker college idiots, these are adults.

At the same time, you have those like Psych lumping all older people who are 60+ into one category and just saying that ALL old people need to lock themselves away for at least a year so that Psych and his ilk can live their lives completely unobstructed. Which doesn't consider that the 60-70s have only a slightly higher death rate than other groups and it's the 80+ folks who are really in danger. Trouble for DeSantis is that there are a whole lot of the 60-70s in Florida as they build homes and retire to them in that age range, and they don't really appreciate the "It's All a Hoax We'll Do As We Please" folks paying no attention to sensible concepts like mask wearing or social distancing. And they vote.

A more deft politician than DeSantis could come up with some initiatives other than just lying about the numbers, but he's not that kind of politically astute guy.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Feral wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:03 pm

smh...

It's worth considering.
Fwiw I wasnt saying that is actually happening. I was just entertaining the theory that if it is happening then I am not really sure that it helps Biden in theory.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Well, ok, then.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I wish my governor would commit political suicide. But, without tankong the economy on the way out. She has held 2 preas conferences sonce this started. Jay Inslee (not a huge fan lf his, but will gove him credit here) holds a daily briefing. At least his constituents have an idea what his plan and reasoning are moving forward. Kate brown is over her skis and, if she has a plan (besides just followijg along behind wa and ca a couple days) she is terrible at communicating it to the people.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Feral wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:05 amWell, ok, then.
sorry. My statements aren't always well structured...but hopefully its clear that I don't think this is a global conspiracy to bring down trump. There are enough deaths in my city to know its real. They are all someone's parents or grandparents. My good friend who works in 1 of our hospitals had a coworker die. Healthy and happy 60 year old lady gone due to her likely catching it while working on the front lines (although I dont think they can verify where she was exposed for certain, working in a hospital that is treating covid patients is probably a safe bet).

Although I do recognize that nearly everything becomes politicized in some way nowadays to use for political gain either directly or indirectly.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:58 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:39 pm CNN now reports that China is seeing a new outbreak and the virus has changed....
There’s a shocker for you. Like I said, it will remain an emergency until after the election, no matter what.
Holy fuck, you should take a break
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:08 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:39 pm CNN now reports that China is seeing a new outbreak and the virus has changed....
There’s a shocker for you. Like I said, it will remain an emergency until after the election, no matter what.
A break from reality? I wish I could.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 am

If your claim is "reality" and you can 100% correctly predict the future, then I will give you $1000 if you can CORRECTLY tell me who is going to win every race at Gulfstream and Churchill Downs today.

I'm not saying it isn't a legitimate gripe but it's very interesting to me how political a virus has become.
Forgive my ignorance, I am 100% serious when I say I welcome anyone to explain to me which political party the virus would prefer to win the election in November.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I’m sure the Biden campaign is working on a commercial saying “We brought back the Economy from the brink in 2009. We will, and we know how, to do it in 2021. We have competent people and ours aren’t in or going to jail”
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:45 am I’m sure the Biden campaign is working on a commercial saying “We brought back the Economy from the brink in 2009. We will, and we know how, to do it in 2021. We have competent people and ours aren’t in or going to jail”
My gawd, that's Billy Barr's music!!!
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:40 am
HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 am

If your claim is "reality" and you can 100% correctly predict the future, then I will give you $1000 if you can CORRECTLY tell me who is going to win every race at Gulfstream and Churchill Downs today.

I'm not saying it isn't a legitimate gripe but it's very interesting to me how political a virus has become.
Forgive my ignorance, I am 100% serious when I say I welcome anyone to explain to me which political party the virus would prefer to win the election in November.
The virus is a reality. What has been grossly politicized is the threat/danger/remedy/duration. You're more than intelligent enough to see that.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I'm watching Cuomo's press conference. It's all good news in terms of numbers going down. Does this mean Cuomo is trying to help Trump get re-elected?

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm pretty much expecting a surge in numbers as the Memorial Day Weekend partying will be excessive.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:38 am I'm watching Cuomo's press conference. It's all good news in terms of numbers going down. Does this mean Cuomo is trying to help Trump get re-elected?
Numbers don't mean anything if they don't translate into life opening back up again so the economy can recover.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:57 am
PhDhawk wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:38 am I'm watching Cuomo's press conference. It's all good news in terms of numbers going down. Does this mean Cuomo is trying to help Trump get re-elected?
Numbers don't mean anything if they don't translate into life opening back up again so the economy can recover.
Numbers are what states are using to determine which phase they're in.