COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
ChalkRocker

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by ChalkRocker »

Geezer wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:07 pm That sounds unreasonable.

Sorry, sir. That's not what I'd hoped.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ChalkRocker wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:37 pm
Geezer wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:07 pm That sounds unreasonable.

Sorry, sir. That's not what I'd hoped.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I may not be right, but even if it's not, it's still not unreasonable.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

You get me, DC. You're the only one.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2349-y

Paper published in Nature showing that antibodies produced in response to original SARS may be protective against this version.

Good news for possible therapeutics, vaccine development, and future related viruses.

Study suggests that there is a conserved feature of coronaviruses (one not easily mutated without reducing virulence) that our bodies produce effective antibodies against.

The antibodies specifically bind to part of the spike glycoprotein of the virus, which is required foe binding and entry into human cells.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Wow.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:31 pm https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2349-y

Paper published in Nature showing that antibodies produced in response to original SARS may be protective against this version.

Good news for possible therapeutics, vaccine development, and future related viruses.

Study suggests that there is a conserved feature of coronaviruses (one not easily mutated without reducing virulence) that our bodies produce effective antibodies against.

The antibodies specifically bind to part of the spike glycoprotein of the virus, which is required foe binding and entry into human cells.
Thanks for sharing!
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Do these count as COVID deaths? This is consistent with what I have been predicting and with what I have been seeing in my practice. It is killing people who would likely not have been negatively impacted by the virus and its effects will be longer-lasting. We have to have a balanced approach.

https://abc7news.com/suicide-covid-19-c ... y/6201962/

Suicides on the rise amid stay-at-home order, Bay Area medical professionals say
By Amy Hollyfield
Thursday, May 21, 2020 8:26PM

Doctors at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek say they have seen more deaths by suicide during this quarantine period than deaths from the COVID-19 virus.

WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- Doctors at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek say they have seen more deaths by suicide during this quarantine period than deaths from the COVID-19 virus.

The head of the trauma in the department believes mental health is suffering so much, it is time to end the shelter-in-place order.

"Personally I think it's time," said Dr. Mike deBoisblanc. "I think, originally, this (the shelter-in-place order) was put in place to flatten the curve and to make sure hospitals have the resources to take care of COVID patients.We have the current resources to do that and our other community health is suffering."

The numbers are unprecedented, he said.

"We've never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time," he said. "I mean we've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks."

Kacey Hansen has worked as a trauma nurse at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek for almost 33 years. She is worried because not only are they seeing more suicide attempts, she says they are not able to save as many patients as usual.

"What I have seen recently, I have never seen before," Hansen said. "I have never seen so much intentional injury."

The trauma team is speaking out because they want the community to be aware, for people to reach out and support each other and for those who are suffering to know they can get help.

John Muir Health provided a statement to ABC7 late Thursday, saying the organization as a whole is supportive of the shelter-in-place order in the Bay Area.

"I think people have found themselves disconnected from the normal supportive networks that they have, churches and schools and book clubs, you name it," Tamura said. "And that, coupled with the closure of some counseling services, people were maybe in a little bit of shock.They were trying to weather the storm a bit but as that isolation has grown people have come to realize this isn't a sprint it is marathon."

He says it's important for all of us to be reaching out to people and making connections.

Hansen says in-person meetings are even OK if it will help mental health.

"Six feet away, wear a mask, wash your hands going in, don't touch, you can see people socially distancing safely," she said.

Hansen says a focus on mental health is very important right
"They intend to die," Hansen said. "Sometimes, people will make what we call a 'gesture'. It's a cry for help.We're just seeing something a little different than that right now. It's upsetting."

Hansen and deBoisblanc say they are seeing mostly young adults die by suicide.They are worried about the stress that isolation and job loss can bring as this quarantine continues.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Chicago Mayor's Office
2 hrs ·
Regarding today’s large unpermitted gathering at Millennium Park: while we respect 1st amendment rights, this gathering posed an unacceptable health risk and was dispersed. No matter where in the city you live, no one is exempt from Governor JB Pritzker’s stay-at-home order.

BULL SHIT! I know someone who was there and said in NO WAY was it "dispersed".
Meanwhile, I can't go and sit in a park 2 blocks WEST of Lake Shore Drive.
What is and isn't being allowed is JUNK!
Lightfoot is going to have a "rebellion" on her hands and the police are the ones who will get fucked.
They are damned by the citizens if they do try and stop it and they are damed by the Mayor if they don't.
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:52 pm Chicago Mayor's Office
2 hrs ·
Regarding today’s large unpermitted gathering at Millennium Park: while we respect 1st amendment rights, this gathering posed an unacceptable health risk and was dispersed. No matter where in the city you live, no one is exempt from Governor JB Pritzker’s stay-at-home order.

BULL SHIT! I know someone who was there and said in NO WAY was it "dispersed".
Meanwhile, I can't go and sit in a park 2 blocks WEST of Lake Shore Drive.
What is and isn't being allowed is JUNK!
Lightfoot is going to have a "rebellion" on her hands and the police are the ones who will get fucked.
They are damned by the citizens if they do try and stop it and they are damed by the Mayor if they don't.
How are they deciding what parks are open and which ones are closed?
Deleted User 289

I assume most are open that don't have "playgrounds".
Lake Shore Park doesn't have a playground but they do have a few pieces of exercise equipment and a running track.
They also have a "field house" but they could lock the field house and open the park.

https://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/par ... shore-park

Park Closed:
This park is closed in accordance with an executive order from Mayor Lightfoot. Go here to learn more about the Chicago Park District COVID-19 response.

Fieldhouse & Playground Closed:
All fieldhouses and playgrounds are closed through the month of May in accordance with Governor Pritzker's Stay at Home Order. Go here to learn more about the Chicago Park District COVID-19 response.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP: I'd rate it a 10. I think we've done a great job. And it started with the fact that we kept a very highly infected country, despite all of the--even the professionals saying no, it's too early to do that, we were very, very early with respect to China. And we would have a whole different situation in this country if we didn't do that. I would rate it a very, very--I would rate ourselves and--and the professionals--I think the professionals have done a fantastic job.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

HouseDivided wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:46 am Do these count as COVID deaths? This is consistent with what I have been predicting and with what I have been seeing in my practice. It is killing people who would likely not have been negatively impacted by the virus and its effects will be longer-lasting. We have to have a balanced approach.

https://abc7news.com/suicide-covid-19-c ... y/6201962/
[omitting a block quote]

I gather that this subject is much more within your scope than mine. I do think that, at least to a significant degree, the mental health challenges here are capable of being addressed in ways besides killing another 100,000 people by reopening in an irresponsible fashion.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Just how is it that we’re seeing numbers of infections in several states INCREASING in the end of May after what we saw in February, March and April, in the US and elsewhere??

Are we really that stupid??????
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Its going to contiue that way for some time. Memorial weekend, weve all seen the dumbassery, lets see where the numbers are in 5 days...10 days...14 daya.
Just Ledoux it
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TDub wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:51 am Its going to contiue that way for some time. Memorial weekend, weve all seen the dumbassery, lets see where the numbers are in 5 days...10 days...14 daya.
Of course the numbers are going to rise. Testing is increasing, as is social contact and economic activity. The important number is actual deaths.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 289

Deaths is obviously the most important number but I would add that hospitalizations is a pretty important number too.
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 am Deaths is obviously the most important number but I would add that hospitalizations is a pretty important number too.
Yes. Especially when they say severe cases damage the lungs permanently in many instances.
Deleted User 310

TDub wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:51 am Its going to contiue that way for some time. Memorial weekend, weve all seen the dumbassery, lets see where the numbers are in 5 days...10 days...14 daya.
At least in my area there were some noticeable increases after Easter when people relaxed a bit too much on distancing....i am expecting the same about 10 days from now as well.

Saw pictures of Lake of the Ozarks area and it was a total shit show. Of course a handful of people I'm friends with from my city were down there posting pictures being packed in pools at bars with hundreds of people. Idiots.
Deleted User 289

Funniest thing of all would be if someone tested positive and they were able to identify everyone there and then made them do a mandatory 14 day quarantine.