The Worst People in the World...

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: The Worst People in the World...

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:43 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:34 pm Now, don't get pissy with me. I'm not saying he should walk. And I'm not saying this is a good excuse. This, in fact, is WHY you don't put your knee on a guy's neck, even if you know it won't choke him to death. Cuz a guy with hypertensive heart disease just might fucking die anyway. I'm just saying that this -- plus a toxicology report, if there's anything in it -- will be an issue.

Certainly makes factual causation tougher, but prosecutors will find someone pretty easily to tie it together.
It feels like the defense could also easily find an expert who could separate the two actions enough to create "reasonable doubt" if the jury is amenable to it. Ugh, what a mess.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:39 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:34 pm Now, don't get pissy with me. I'm not saying he should walk. And I'm not saying this is a good excuse. This, in fact, is WHY you don't put your knee on a guy's neck, even if you know it won't choke him to death. Cuz a guy with hypertensive heart disease just might fucking die anyway. I'm just saying that this -- plus a toxicology report, if there's anything in it -- will be an issue.

Yeah, I just saw that, too. Man, this will be an interesting case for sure.
No doubt the family's attorney has started the process of getting their own pathologist to do an autopsy for a second opinion.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

“and any potential intoxicants”

is that normal language in one of these kinds of statements?

honest question
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:46 pm

Certainly makes factual causation tougher, but prosecutors will find someone pretty easily to tie it together.
It feels like the defense could also easily find an expert who could separate the two actions enough to create "reasonable doubt" if the jury is amenable to it. Ugh, what a mess.
He'll have a very capable and paid defense team by DC's favorite private police union.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Also curious to see if the other 3 are charged, including the other 2 videoed on his back.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:16 pm what makes you guys think he’ll walk?

Is there some particular detail?

...besides the fact cops walk for killing people of color all the fucking time...
Here's what I was referencing earlier, .06-.066.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I guess I don't see this report as all that helpful.

Seems like it's ready-made for a prosecutor to identify where in the tape he goes unresponsive, set a timer to when the knee comes off, and ask the jury to try to hold their breath.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 pm

Seems like it's ready-made for a prosecutor to identify where in the tape he goes unresponsive, set a timer to when the knee comes off, and ask the jury to try to hold their breath.
I don't see that as relevant/admissible for the factual causation element, but perhaps for the depraved mind element(s). I think DC is trying to say the ME will hurt the causation element.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Gross.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

that’s some made-for-tv shit right there
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Didn't say it should. Just that it could.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:23 pm Didn't say it should. Just that it could.
Oh, I get it. And it's 100% what will happen.

And it's gross.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:23 pm Didn't say it should. Just that it could.
Yes, my bad.

It would be malpractice not to bring it up.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Sorry if posted elsewhere but here is the murder complaint. I agree, Chauvin "walks".

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/29/ ... t-minutes/
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

In fact, in real life, you don't have to deprive a guy with hypertensive heart disease of oxygen for long before you effectively kill him.

And along those lines, I still want to know what happened that he ended up on the ground, already cuffed, with three guys on him -- because the reports say he was telling officers he couldn't breathe before the original video.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Jury is all white, the cop walks.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:27 pm In fact, in real life, you don't have to deprive a guy with hypertensive heart disease of oxygen for long before you effectively kill him.

And along those lines, I still want to know what happened that he ended up on the ground, already cuffed, with three guys on him -- because the reports say he was telling officers he couldn't breathe before the original video.
Posted this right before your post. Helps explain SOME things to SOME degree. https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/29/ ... t-minutes/
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think the prosecutor may actually get a pretty favorable jury pool in Minny (it's not the south), but you never really know until it's all over.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:33 pm I think the prosecutor may actually get a pretty favorable jury pool in Minny (it's not the south), but you never really know until it's all over.
For KC people...trial will be in [Jackson County]. Much better spot (for the prosecutors) than [Johnson] or [Platte].
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:12 pm

I don't see that as relevant/admissible for the factual causation element, but perhaps for the depraved mind element(s). I think DC is trying to say the ME will hurt the causation element.
I agree, and was surprised that Fish, (seemed originally), not to agree.

I spent several years evaluating medical records for attorneys for potential med mal cases, and the last paragraph seems designed to facilitate the creation of doubt.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman