George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by Shirley »

They're back?

Counting on these guys isn't always but can be like waiting 40 years for "tax cuts to pay for themselves", and/or Mexico to "pay for the wall":

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:13 am
twocoach wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:08 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:51 pm Also, I never said anything about needing to present or providing any dissertations. If your intellectual insecurity caused you to read that into it, that's your problem.

And, of course, fuck you.
I am not the one desperately seeking out ways to intellectually knock anyone and everyone down a peg.
It's so fucking weird that you think asking you to do a thirty second Google search before making up your mind about something is intellectually knocking you down.

I mean...lulz.
WTF are you even talking about? I have agreed with you multiple times that modernizing training will help. And I have also told you multiple times that while it will help, I feel that it is not the only thing that needs to be done.

A thirty second Google search would also show you that there are some evil fuckers in law enforcement that no amount of "better training" will change into law abiding officers dedicated to protect and serve.

Here, I'll help you. Enter "George Lloyd killed by police officer" into your Google search and then convince me that "better training" would have saved his life. The only thing that would have saved his life appears to me to be having a different set of officers respond to the call.

We need to find a way to identify these officers quicker and remove them from law enforcement. It shouldn't take incident #18 being caught on multiple civilian videos to do it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:47 am
twocoach wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:08 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:51 pm Also, I never said anything about needing to present or providing any dissertations. If your intellectual insecurity caused you to read that into it, that's your problem.

And, of course, fuck you.
I am not the one desperately seeking out ways to intellectually knock anyone and everyone down a peg.

OF COURSE I fucking know that updated, modernized training will help reduce cases of police brutality. As time passes and conferences are held and studies are done, virtually field sees advances and modernization in tactics and procedures. But that is not enough. It addresses a piece of the problem but not all of the problem.

Poor training alone didn't lead to a cop who has been in 17 separate complaints of police impropriety being shielded by a cop who has been in 10 or more incidents of police impropriety being caught on video ending the life of an unarmed, handcuffed man suspected of using a fake $20 bill.
They should have been fired a long time ago.

Likely they weren't because of unions.

The unions DC is not a fan of.
I fully agree with this statement. Unions have made it harder to fire shitty employees in a wide variety of professions and feels like a mechanism that needed to go by the wayside decades ago.

But like every collectively bargained agreement between an employee union and an employer, those contracts are being agreed to by both sides. Those need to be reviewed and corrected to hold officers to a higher standard.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

sdoyel wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:10 pm WTF?

that’s a problem
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:37 am

that’s a problem
Unfucking believable, except, not.

All of my best Black friends find this comforting, and think the riots will now cease:

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

While out and about assessing the damage on Michigan Avenue I was enjoying the tranquility after an insane evening. I walked down a side street and watched a silver car pull up to a guy who was just minding his business walking down the street. A guy got out of the car and smashed the guy in the head with a hammer and ran back in to the car and they sped away. I took a picture after the fact that I’ll share later. Yes folks, this is what our country was, is, and will always be.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

that’s a problem
Looks like China.
Just Ledoux it
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TDub wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:29 am

that’s a problem
Looks like China.
I guess two days is all you get to act like terrorists before you get treated like terrorists. It's about two days too long, in my opinion.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

HouseDivided wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:35 am

that’s a problem
Looks like China.
I guess two days is all you get to act like terrorists before you get treated like terrorists. It's about two days too long, in my opinion.
Gonna have to disagree. Where are the terrorists? At NO point should you get shot at by police when you are on your own property not being violent. We are not a police state we are not russia or china thank god.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I dont support looting and general destructiveness but I do not support this reaction either.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

that’s a problem
Looks like China.
Eh, that was a citizen on the porch of their own home. From someone who wails about the overreach of cabals trying to control us, you sure seem OK with overreaching police actions trying to control us.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

does anyone else kind of have a crush on this Sarah Cooper chick?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:39 am

Looks like China.
Gonna have to disagree. Where are the terrorists? At NO point should you get shot at by police when you are on your own property not being violent. We are not a police state we are not russia or china thank god.
exactly

there should be some legal repercussions, imo

nothing at all wrong with sitting on your own front porch
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I wish that more people had some sort of self control, be they police officers or protesters.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What would happen if they just stayed on their porch?

Like even after getting shot with paintballs. Would the cops continue to escalate? Come up on the porch and put their knee on your neck too?

Would there be any further consequences? Like yeah the cops asked you to go inside, but even during lockdown, is sitting on your own porch illegal?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:17 am What would happen if they just stayed on their porch?

Like even after getting shot with paintballs. Would the cops continue to escalate? Come up on the porch and put their knee on your neck too?

Would there be any further consequences? Like yeah the cops asked you to go inside, but even during lockdown, is sitting on your own porch illegal?
It would not be unreasonable to envision an arrest for failure to comply, as absurd as that would be. And that's part of the problem we're talking about. Was that a necessary action by the police? Fuck no. It's a gross abuse of power. That isn't protecting and serving a community; it is terrorizing it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess I get it.

But man, during a protest against police brutality, I wouldn’t wanna be the cop who kicks somebody’s ass on their own porch.

But hey, I don’t wanna get my ass kicked either. Better just go inside.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:39 am

Looks like China.
World according to Psych:

Asking people not to wander about or ask businesses to restrict service so as to prevent spreading a disease: TYRANNY, Infringement of Freedom

Sitting on your own porch: TERRORISM
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:24 am I guess I get it.

But man, during a protest against police brutality, I wouldn’t wanna be the cop who kicks somebody’s ass on their own porch.

But hey, I don’t wanna get my ass kicked either. Better just go inside.
I have a pretty low risk tolerance for shit like this. Way too many police officers have proven countless times in just the past two weeks alone that having a video camera pointed right at them doesn't deter them from making questionable decisions. I am not going anywhere near shit like this. If the cops rolled down my street like that I would be sitting in my basement.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Re th words "looting leads to shooting", didn't business owners arm with firearms to protect their businesses during the chaos in Baltimore?
If anarchists stormed the Whitehouse would it be wrong to unleash vicious dogs to protect the occupants?
Thoughts??
Originally Imzcount (Why do politicians think “hope” is a plan ?)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan