George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
sdoyel

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by sdoyel »

seahawk wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:47 pm As usual, when his Republican masters have become so horrible that even he can't normalize them, DC retreats to some academic construct and throws in some historical references that make them seem less heinous than they are. The Emancipation Proclamation is mentioned, but not the immense amount of lawbreaking that it took to get there or the threats that prompted that violence. Slavery in the U.S. had become less profitable until Cotton became King and the huge plantations of the old Southwest developed a form of chattel slavery so heinous that people risked their lives to escape to the North. And all kinds of folks in the North aided in the lawbreaking that harboring those former slaves involved. The E.P. simply recognized the lawbreaking of the 180,000 slaves that walked away from the plantations and joined the Union Army at a time when it was desperate for manpower.

After the lynchings that happened in the 1910-30s, the 1940s gave men and women of color access to decent jobs and to service in the military, but not equality. As those citizens didn't benefit from their service and become able to rise into the middle class in the same way as whites, the Civil Rights Era came about and with it, all kinds of lawbreaking of the many laws of segregation and levels of violence not seen in a generation. As they had during the Civil War, American leadership changed the laws to prevent society from being torn apart.

The COVID-19 virus has occasioned another situation where a certain segment of society has nothing left to lose, because their very existence is threatened, this time by Donald Trump and his Republican supporters, who are willing to let the virus rage through communities of color with no concern about their death tolls. I've had 2 friends trying to get COVID testing in what's supposed to be a state where that is easy to do because Trump supports the state--but it's very difficult, or very expensive. Lower income families can't afford that and can't quarantine their elderly relatives or underlying condition family members and we see the numbers in which they're dying. Because Donald Trump has chosen not to take whatever steps are needed to implement major testing capacity at all levels. And chosen to insist that these people go back into the workplace to work in unsafe conditions and high risk situations. Trump has demonstrated his racism over and over and he insists even that his CDC change its instructions for safety in the workplace. This isn't about social contract or aspirations, it's about one man's evil intent and those who surround him that share in that evil.

And all the quasi religious, quasi philosophical rationalizations won't excuse Trump's leadership or complete lack of, in this crisis--which underlies the riots across the country--just as they didn't excuse slavery or Jim Crow laws.

We're a nation born in violence, where national change often happens only during violent confrontation--we may always think we've escaped that heritage, but then a Donald Trump comes along to remind us the we haven't.
Very well said.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:54 pm
Grandma wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:52 pm
Feral wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:27 pm I thought I heard somewhere that Tom Cotton was smart?

So now Trump wants to mobilize our Army against US citizens. Awesome.
He doesn't have a fucking clue what he wants to do.
At least we have transferred from OBAMAGATE! Joe Scarborough! and CHINA! and are now in the ANTIFA! ANARCHIST! stage.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

seahawk wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:47 pm As usual, when his Republican masters have become so horrible that even he can't normalize them, DC retreats to some academic construct and throws in some historical references that make them seem less heinous than they are. The Emancipation Proclamation is mentioned, but not the immense amount of lawbreaking that it took to get there or the threats that prompted that violence. Slavery in the U.S. had become less profitable until Cotton became King and the huge plantations of the old Southwest developed a form of chattel slavery so heinous that people risked their lives to escape to the North. And all kinds of folks in the North aided in the lawbreaking that harboring those former slaves involved. The E.P. simply recognized the lawbreaking of the 180,000 slaves that walked away from the plantations and joined the Union Army at a time when it was desperate for manpower.

After the lynchings that happened in the 1910-30s, the 1940s gave men and women of color access to decent jobs and to service in the military, but not equality. As those citizens didn't benefit from their service and become able to rise into the middle class in the same way as whites, the Civil Rights Era came about and with it, all kinds of lawbreaking of the many laws of segregation and levels of violence not seen in a generation. As they had during the Civil War, American leadership changed the laws to prevent society from being torn apart.

The COVID-19 virus has occasioned another situation where a certain segment of society has nothing left to lose, because their very existence is threatened, this time by Donald Trump and his Republican supporters, who are willing to let the virus rage through communities of color with no concern about their death tolls. I've had 2 friends trying to get COVID testing in what's supposed to be a state where that is easy to do because Trump supports the state--but it's very difficult, or very expensive. Lower income families can't afford that and can't quarantine their elderly relatives or underlying condition family members and we see the numbers in which they're dying. Because Donald Trump has chosen not to take whatever steps are needed to implement major testing capacity at all levels. And chosen to insist that these people go back into the workplace to work in unsafe conditions and high risk situations. Trump has demonstrated his racism over and over and he insists even that his CDC change its instructions for safety in the workplace. This isn't about social contract or aspirations, it's about one man's evil intent and those who surround him that share in that evil.

And all the quasi religious, quasi philosophical rationalizations won't excuse Trump's leadership or complete lack of, in this crisis--which underlies the riots across the country--just as they didn't excuse slavery or Jim Crow laws.

We're a nation born in violence, where national change often happens only during violent confrontation--we may always think we've escaped that heritage, but then a Donald Trump comes along to remind us the we haven't.
I'm sorry, ma'am. This is a Wendy's.
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:59 pm

Very well said.
lulz
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:54 pm
So now Trump wants to mobilize our Army against US citizens. Awesome.
So...this is the question: for decades, the only people who cared about Posse Comitatus were the far-Right nut jobs at Ruby Ridge and Waco. I know the law can be suspended, because Eisenhower did to send troops to Little Rock.

But does anyone know what constitutes and who decides what a "national emergency" is in the context of the law?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

whatever the president deems?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I don't know if that's the case or not.

I know the law says that it must be the case that state or local officials are not able to control the situation, but I don't know if that means that they have to request help, or of Congress needs to be involved, or what?
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

One can hear the unhinged talk with the governors in this article.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/unhinged- ... rning-laws
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:28 pm I don't know if that's the case or not.

I know the law says that it must be the case that state or local officials are not able to control the situation, but I don't know if that means that they have to request help, or of Congress needs to be involved, or what?
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/LSB10267.pdf

“a framework for the president to declare a national emergency...”

whatever that means
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

The cop kneeling into his back that you can't see in the main video should be arrested next based on that autopsy...although so should the other 2 officers standing there watching.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Very well said.
lulz
Everything is racism. All the time. Except when it is also misogyny. But racism.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
LulzDC

Post by LulzDC »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:19 pm

Very well said.
lulz
Everything is racism. All the time. Except when it is also misogyny. But racism.
Lulz
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

LulzDC wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:30 pm

lulz
Lulz
Not Nice.
LulzDC

Post by LulzDC »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:31 pm
LulzDC wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:30 pm

Lulz
Not Nice.
Lulz
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

The training curriculum for LEOs was never on my radar. Never.

Should've been. For a host of reasons. But I am a dense motherhubbard.
It makes me shake my head at myself.

A smart flippin' guy on this board put it on my radar, w/ a yellow chalk circ around it.

I don't always agree w/ that guy (altho' I'll never say so), but was a dope-slap for me.

To me, if you're going to make chg, LEO training is the critical, critical starting point.

Thx, DC.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Very well said.
lulz
Racism is a just piece of the bigger problem. Racism, sexism, it all boils down to hw same thing.. The bigger problem is people feeling that they are entitled to belittle and dominate others who they feel are weaker or less worthy than them. It leads not only to abuses based on race, but also to the abuse of women, gays, or anyone deemed to be weak enough to be dominated.

I doubt that a piece of shit cop abuses ONLY those of other races than him. But because the African American community has been pushed so far down below so much of the rest of America, they seem to forever be a target for these types of scumbags.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Watch out he is activating Bill Barr.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.