George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
DCHawkTranslator

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by DCHawkTranslator »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:47 pmNo it's not.
Translation: I can't talk to the substance of the post, so I'll just dismiss the whole thing.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Grandma wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:29 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:08 am The protests in my city were much larger yesterday for BLM than it was a few weeks ago for reopening.

The BLM protest yesterday was peaceful. Nothing crazy happened. Lots of white people were there. About 50/50 mix of PoC and white people. I wish they'd have been more organized about who they handed the microphone too. It devolved into a bunch of weird rants and cussing for no good reason. There were a handful of people who spoke who had meaningful messages and then several hours of extremely random speeches from people just walking up and getting on the microphone. Glad they demonstrated, but felt a bit like a missed opportunity.

I'm not going to create a sock but I will switch to one of my other identities - Sarcastic Grandma.
Sarcastic Grandma says - That sucks Illini! I'm sorry those who felt the need to speak and be heard didn't appease you and say what you wanted them to say!
Well, to be quite clear/a little clearer, appeasing me wasn't the goal nor should it be. I wasn't personally trying to complain about the content, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way because that's insensitive and wasn't my intent. I was more or less reiterating what many PoC at the protest/march/rally said. There are local teachers, youth leaders, etc. that should/could/would have spoken....many people brought children and had to leave because 75% of the people who got the microphone couldn't resist using the F-word and N-word every other word with no real message just a bunch of yelling and unfortunately not even about George Floyd or police brutality or anything productive, just statements like "if a mother fucker comes near me I'm going to fuck their ass up I dont care who they are" and a bunch of chest thumping bullshit that really wasn't relevant to anything.

There was a teacher that spoke briefly. There were some people that had thoughtful words put together. There were some high school girls who pretty much started the organization of the gathering that spoke and did very well....but then there were also people who just wanted to scream about nothing and proclaim how tough they were. Which is totally fine, I sympathize with their anger, and so did many others....but a large portion of the people there, many who even spoke, kept pleading with other speakers to stop with the extreme bad language and n-words every other word because children were there, but it went unheard by many. It was weird at times. One guy got up there are said he only came down there to fight anyone of any color who tried him...the crowd booed him, but he still ranted about how tough he was and how nobody could put their hands on him for several minutes.

I am sorry if that seemed like I wasn't appeased or was insensitive to complain about a rally that isn't about ME. Totally not my intention. It has nothing to do with ME. I am glad they had a good turnout and are standing up for what is right. It just got a little out of hand as far as people getting up there and talking shit to each other or about other people that had nothing to do with any of the situations being focused on.

Sorry for the long winded response, but after reading your response and then also re reading my first comment I figured I should try to clarify a little bit because I can totally see how it seemed like "I" wanted it to be different to appease "me", when my intention was only wishing it would have appeased the majority of the people there more like they have indicated on social media and/or at the event.
Last edited by Deleted User 310 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Hey - Sarcastic Grandma thanks you for your response. ;)

Being serious, I hear you loud and clear.
I have attended "peaceful" "protests" (for other matters/situations/causes) in which people went way off the intended message/subject.
It's good you went out there and made your presence felt - even if the only person who may have felt it was you - which should be the most important person you care about's feelings.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I’m 45 minutes in to an incredibly powerful Zoom conference with 500+ other people. I’ll share details later.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DCHawkTranslator wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:13 am
Translation: I can't talk to the substance of the post, so I'll just dismiss the whole thing.
Nope.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawkTranslator

Post by DCHawkTranslator »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:17 am
DCHawkTranslator wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:13 am
Nope.
Translation: You nailed it.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

What you see on cable news and the national news are riots. If you want to see the peaceful protests you have to turn on your local news.

Peaceful protests aren’t sexy. They don’t put butts in the seats. You won’t see them on the national or cable news providers.

Nothing sensational about peaceful. Sensational don’t sell.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:30 am What you see on cable news and the national news are riots. If you want to see the peaceful protests you have to turn on your local news.

Peaceful protests aren’t sexy. They don’t put butts in the seats. You won’t see them on the national or cable news providers.

Nothing sensational about peaceful. Sensational don’t sell.
I have seen plenty of coverage of peaceful protest activity on CNN. This on the front page of CNN.com

"Police officers are joining protesters for prayers and hugs in several US cities"
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/us/polic ... index.html
Last edited by twocoach on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Not Nice.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

That made Donny feel good down there.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
pDub's Cockpiece

Post by pDub's Cockpiece »

Down where!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pDub's Cockpiece wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:17 pm Down where!
Everything that Trump loves makes him feel good somewhere between his stomach and his thighs. That covers his stomach, his gut, his privates and his wallet.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Holy shit, they woke Ben Sasse for his periodic: I’m-not-quite-approving-but-not-gonna-do-shit-about-it statement:

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

^^They had their chance to do something and balked. Now they want to speak out?^^
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

They speak in low tones.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Geezer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:55 pm They speak in low tones.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

So...lemme ass a question:

What do you want?

If we assume that Trump shot himself in the dick last night, and we assume therefore that Biden wins in Nov., then what?

What do you want done to fix the police problem? Actually, first, how do you define the problem, then, what do you want done?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

wait, what about last night makes it the moment we assume Trump finally shot himself in the dick?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and regarding how to fix the police problem, a lawyer friend suggests we "demand racial justice policies in law enforcement, including qualified immunity reform and mandatory implicit bias training"
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:13 pm and regarding how to fix the police problem, a lawyer friend suggests we "demand racial justice policies in law enforcement, including qualified immunity reform and mandatory implicit bias training"
Good. That's a start.

Libertarians have been arguing to end qualified immunity for decades. And it's not conservatives fighting them. So...good. We're all on board.

Minneapolis spent in the neighborhood of $1.8 million (most from a one-time federal grant) to do mandatory bias training in 2015.

OK. So...now what?