Plano Family Epic Road Trip

Coffee talk.
seahawk

Re: Plano Family Epic Road Trip

Post by seahawk »

Sounds like a great trip, jeepin. Have fun.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Well, surprisingly, folks in rural western Texas are doing a better job of distancing and being cautious than folks in North Dallas.

First bummer of the trip, we planned to go to Palo Duro Canyon, as Texas Parks are open.
I have been a few times, family has not.

Did not know that you have to reserve even a drive through, and next available date to do so is Thursday.

So we drove through the south end of the canyon. Still damn impressive.
Deleted User 62

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:52 am Sedona is out of this world beautiful. Took the pink Jeep tour. Fun.

Spent 5 days in Sedona. I cannot wait to go back.
I agree, Sedona is next level amazing.

Been Jeeping out there about 6 times over the years.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:36 pm Well, surprisingly, folks in rural western Texas are doing a better job of distancing and being cautious than folks in North Dallas.

First bummer of the trip, we planned to go to Palo Duro Canyon, as Texas Parks are open.

Did not know that you have to reserve even a drive through, and next available date to do so is Thursday.

that must be relatively new for palo duro...was just there a few years ago
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:24 pm We drive from here to Minneapolis a couple times a year. 8 hours is nuttin.
Oh I've done KC/MSP more times than I can count. But twice in three days sucks.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Been a long time since I've visited Palo Duro Canyon, but it was awesome!
Don't inject Lysol.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I would love to road trip it somewhere soon. So tired of being stuck in my home working, it just seems each day is the same as the others. I just don't want to deal with any airports right now and I'm not a long distance driver type...lol. I can handle 3-4 hours, but I start to get grumpy after that. I might just head over to Larry for a day....lol.

I need some new hobbies besides restoring and riding 30 year old trikes. I might try to pick up golf again, but was never very good. Any hobby recommendations?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We sold our big house and bought a smaller older one. The old lady that lived here was about half nutz. Lots of landscaping done decades ago and was way overgrown. I've ripped it all out, am in the process of putting in new plants. Some of it is pretty tough work for an old guy, but it's getting done. Should be finished this weekend.

I guess that's been my hobby for this Spring.
Broham
shindig

Post by shindig »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:27 am We sold our big house and bought a smaller older one. The old lady that lived here was about half nutz. Lots of landscaping done decades ago and was way overgrown. I've ripped it all out, am in the process of putting in new plants. Some of it is pretty tough work for an old guy, but it's getting done. Should be finished this weekend.

I guess that's been my hobby for this Spring.
That's awesome. My house was built in 1928, so there are always projects on it. With all the rain we've had here in KC the last few weeks, I have a feeling I'm going to be trimming lots of shrubs over the weekend. I also need to re-mulch, but need to trim shrubs first. I love older homes and established neighborhoods, but man, they can be a headache at times.
Deleted User 62

TraditionKU wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:01 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:36 pm Well, surprisingly, folks in rural western Texas are doing a better job of distancing and being cautious than folks in North Dallas.

that must be relatively new for palo duro...was just there a few years ago
Covid......
Deleted User 89

ahh...funny how i can so easily forget how it’s altered so much of “normalcy”
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

shindig wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:02 am I would love to road trip it somewhere soon. So tired of being stuck in my home working, it just seems each day is the same as the others. I just don't want to deal with any airports right now and I'm not a long distance driver type...lol. I can handle 3-4 hours, but I start to get grumpy after that. I might just head over to Larry for a day....lol.

I need some new hobbies besides restoring and riding 30 year old trikes. I might try to pick up golf again, but was never very good. Any hobby recommendations?
I was gonna suggest to you to give me a hand rebuilding a 1964 Norton Electra that is in boxes in my container. I bought the bike because it is the bike my wife used to ride on in the 80s with her roommate, the previous owner. In fact, the only reason my wife and I met is that when I was a GTA in grad school I used to ride my 1973 Norton Commando to The Pig for morning coffee and go over my morning lecture. She saw the bike parked out front, knew of Norton's and the rest is history.

Golfing is a lot cleaner.
shindig

Post by shindig »

defixione wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:33 pm
shindig wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:02 am I would love to road trip it somewhere soon. So tired of being stuck in my home working, it just seems each day is the same as the others. I just don't want to deal with any airports right now and I'm not a long distance driver type...lol. I can handle 3-4 hours, but I start to get grumpy after that. I might just head over to Larry for a day....lol.

I was gonna suggest to you to give me a hand rebuilding a 1964 Norton Electra that is in boxes in my container. I bought the bike because it is the bike my wife used to ride on in the 80s with her roommate, the previous owner. In fact, the only reason my wife and I met is that when I was a GTA in grad school I used to ride my 1973 Norton Commando to The Pig for morning coffee and go over my morning lecture. She saw the bike parked out front, knew of Norton's and the rest is history.

Golfing is a lot cleaner.
I have to admit, I suck at putting shit back together. I can tear it down like a mother fvcker, but then I take all the parts in to be nickel plated, or sandblasted and powder coated and a month later I can't figure the shit out and spend endless hours going thru the service manual. But, I generally get it figured out. So, shoot me a PM anytime and I'm sure we can put our heads together and figure it out, I mean it's not rocket science...lol.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Have you rented one of those 1957 Vettes for part of the trip on Route 66, jeep? Or at least have a photo of one to tape to your dash?
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 62

I do not. Rolling in my wife XC40 Momentum Edition. Sweet ass car, and fast too.

Our kids are following in our oldests' car.
Deleted User 62

Ok, my thoughts so far:
New Mexico (suprising to me) is by far taking the most precautions for Covid that we have seen.
Masks are mandatory, all restaurants are 100% take out, delivery or drive thru.

Got to Arizona, first leg pretty much the same, but once we got to Flagstaff, it's like there never was a virus.

Got to Sedona....HOLY FUCK! People on top of people, maybe 2 out of a hundred wearing masks. And it wasn't just the town itself, but also the hundreds of swimming holes as you drive down the mountain.

Obviously, my wife shut down any excursions outside the car.

Still fucking amazing here though.
Deleted User 89

oak creek canyon is one of my all-time favorite spots
Deleted User 62

TraditionKU wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:54 pm oak creek canyon is one of my all-time favorite spots
This guy gets it.

On this trip, it was INSANE how many people had parked along the road to get access.
Several hundred cars and thousands of people
Deleted User 89

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:09 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:54 pm oak creek canyon is one of my all-time favorite spots
This guy gets it.

On this trip, it was INSANE how many people had parked along the road to get access.
Several hundred cars and thousands of people
yeah, fuck that noise
Deleted User 62

Well, we made it to Palm Springs 2 days ago.
I freaking love it here.

Had one of the strangest nights ever in Flagstaff. Rooms were hard to come by (those 500k folks in Sedona had to stay somewhere)...so we booked a Baymont.

Rooms were pretty nice. Great location.

At about 6 pm, I was catching up on some work emails, and I hear this Hispanic guy yelling down to the pool area telling a group of 2 families to keep it down. Literally screaming, and profane. The pool was right below our room.

I step out, listen to this back and forth...the screaming guy and I are on the same walkway, 2nd floor. The guy starts threatening to beat both of the dads in the groups asses.
He screams he just did 10 years, and he ain't afraid to go back.

So, he is screaming all of this, and tells one of the guys "come on up here, I'll fucking beat you down". So, I get involved. I told this guy, about 40' from me, "why are you asking him to come up here? You are the one that wants to kick ass." He tells me to mind my own fucking business, and that they were bothering me too. I told him, I never heard them, all I heard was his big fucking mouth.

So he says he will go down there, and goes down the stairs, but stops at the bottom and again yells at this guy to come over here and take your beating. I lean over and said "you aren't going to fight anyone, you're just a loud mouth punk". He comes back up the stairs and stops facing me and says "maybe I should kick your ass too". I said "for a guy talking about kicking all of these asses your production is a little light".

He gave me a defeated look, and said "are you a boss (cop)?" I said, used to be, federal.

He apologized profusely, and said "sometimes shit just pisses me off".

I told him, I get it, but tomorrow, none of this matters unless you make a decision that you can't reverse.

This was crazy event #1