George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
MICHHAWK

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by MICHHAWK »

Hey buddy, almost everything coming out of everybody right now is pathologically ignorant.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:20 pm What’s it to you if someone in texas loves god.
In response to your previous post, I feel he is 100% entitled to his opinion.

In response to this post, what's it is to me if someone in Texas loves God? It's fantastic - as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.
It's when those people start preaching to me - telling me that I can't love my fellow man if I don't love Jesus and/or God and I can't do something positive if I don't accept Jesus Christ and/or God - that's where I start to have the problem with that person. That person being a politician, a plumber, a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, a clergyman/woman, or whatever they may be - I take offense to it.
I know, that's the point of it. To call me out because I'm not a thinker who thinks like them. Therefore, I am with faults and sins. Spare me. Please.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Unless of course the social media and the Twitter don’t agree. Then they shame you and beat you down and threaten you.

We have the right to speak our mind as long as the deviants and malcontents on the social media approves.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:45 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:20 pm What’s it to you if someone in texas loves god.
In response to your previous post, I feel he is 100% entitled to his opinion.

In response to this post, what's it is to me if someone in Texas loves God? It's fantastic - as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.
It's when those people start preaching to me - telling me that I can't love my fellow man if I don't love Jesus and/or God and I can't do something positive if I don't accept Jesus Christ and/or God - that's where I start to have the problem with that person. That person being a politician, a plumber, a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, a clergyman/woman, or whatever they may be - I take offense to it.
I know, that's the point of it. To call me out because I'm not a thinker who thinks like them. Therefore, I am with faults and sins. Spare me. Please.
Agreed. I can empathize with my fellow man of a different race and take action to help them without loving God and it doesn't even take the self-serving carrot of the promise of a mythical heaven dangled in front of me for me to do it, either.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:51 pm Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Unless of course the social media and the Twitter don’t agree. Then they shame you and beat you down and threaten you.

We have the right to speak our mind as long as the deviants and malcontents on the social media approves.
My response is - You pretty much hit the nail on the head.
I'm not a fan of threats if they involve violence but I sure as heck don't have a problem with people disagreeing with one another and calling people out on/for their lies/bullshit.
Someone wants to express their opinion by whatever method they choose to express it - I say go for it but realize we live in a world where it's very easy for people to instantly publicly nail you for expressing things they don't agree with. Does it go way too far sometimes? Absolutely it does but when you seek and then get the attention you are craving you probably shouldn't whine about it.
No doubt some people share their opinions with good intentions but you know damn well that other people express their opinions for the sole purpose of pissing other people off.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

^^^

Obviously, the bible is a transformative work:

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Tolerance. Being tolerant. Give it a try sometime. Not that hard.

Heck. You might even like it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:16 pm Tolerance. Being tolerant. Give it a try sometime. Not that hard.

Heck. You might even like it.
How rich.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Wasn't it the Lite Gov in Texas who said that grandparents needed to die to open up the economy? Seems like this is not the first stupid thing Patrick has said.
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:46 am does anyone else kind of have a crush on this Sarah Cooper chick?
I get the impression she's not in the mood right now:

Sarah Cooper

Jun 3
It is so exhausting being everybody’s one black friend right now
Derek Cressman
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Mich: would your opinion be any different if said Lt Gov had replaced "Jesus Christ" with "Allah" and/or "Mohammed"
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Feral wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:36 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:46 am does anyone else kind of have a crush on this Sarah Cooper chick?
I get the impression she's not in the mood right now:

Sarah Cooper

Jun 3
It is so exhausting being everybody’s one black friend right now
Yes. So I haven't caught up on this thread yet...but the "being everyone's 1 black friend" comment made me want to say this.... I think white people need to educate themselves right now. I know many times the questions/support is well intentioned, but it is not black peoples responsibility to educate their white friends right now. They're dealing with enough.

I know its hard. This has divided my family and wife's family quite a bit. I have family members on my side that have said some shit that was really disappointing and I will never feel the same way about them now....same with my wifes side of the family. Just ignorant comments on social media... ignorant posts. Ignorant beliefs and behavior.

I was lucky to grow up going to diverse schools and playing on sports teams with diverse teammates. It taught me more than I ever knew. I'm so appreciative of it now.

I know many/most white people want to help right now. That's a really good thing. Find ways to help and be supportive without making it about ourselves.

The best way I know how to help is by how I raise my children. Racism is a learned behavior. The older generations won't change enough for it to matter. Hell even my generation may not. Some may be too far gone. But I am hopeful for the younger generations. Maybe someday we can be better and do better.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I'm not sure how racism is a learned trait. It's present in all ethnicity and civilizations. How the individual manages it is the key.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 310

Geezer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:02 pm I'm not sure how racism is a learned trait. It's present in all ethnicity and civilizations. How the individual manages it is the key.
There is a difference between prejudice and racism.

Maybe I dont understand your comment....but for example how many 2 year olds are racist? People learn to be racist. They aren't born that way.
Deleted User 310

I'll try to find some articles about if racism is learned or not. I posted one about kids, but deleted because I want to look a little more instead of just posting one of the first few things I find.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Geezer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:02 pm I'm not sure how racism is a learned trait. It's present in all ethnicity and civilizations. How the individual manages it is the key.
It’s learned by observing and adhering to these same social mores you are mentioning.

Don’t disagree with your underlying idea, but your own argument discredits your premise.

To make it easy to understand how it’s learned....do children still in their ‘innocence’ have any grasp on racial differences? No. It’s learned through empirical experience. And then yes, the individual decides how to ‘manage’ this ‘truth’.
Deleted User 310

https://sites.psu.edu/aspsy/2017/03/25/ ... early-age/

Here is the one about kids that I deleted.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

This is a basal skull fracture, until proven otherwise:

Derek Cressman
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Gqcolorado wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:43 pm
It’s learned by observing and adhering to these same social mores you are mentioning.

Don’t disagree with your underlying idea, but your own argument discredits your premise.

To make it easy to understand how it’s learned....do children still in their ‘innocence’ have any grasp on racial differences? No. It’s learned through empirical experience. And then yes, the individual decides how to ‘manage’ this ‘truth’.

The Yale Baby Lab has been studying that question for years. The data seems to show that we have an inborn dislike and suspicion of people who are different from us, but specific prejudices are learned.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain