Da founding MFing fathers

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Da founding MFing fathers

Post by ousdahl »

What wuz them MFers really like?

posting here cuz this thread can, should, and will be way cooler than anything on any other bored
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Da founding MFing fathers

Post by pdub »

Franklin just tried to bang trashy women in Paris. John Adams came over to visit and was like, dude. Jefferson might have been on the spectrum a bit. A number of them were land grabbing opportunists. Washington basically was trying to constantly claim as much land as he could.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thomas Paine was an interesting cat. He ripped religion a new one, and was critical of the church's efforts to acquire political power.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Long night at the crik?
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The village abutting mine is debating changing the name of their school because it's named after the founder of the town, who didn't allow Jews and blacks.

My initial reaction is "Great!".

However, does that mean that we should remove any honor from the founders for creating a nation where black people are 3/5ths of a person? Or do we give them honors for the good they did, but with the obligation of also pointing out what is now rightfully considered bad?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

IMHO actions of the past need to be judged by the context as they existed.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Mjl wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:14 am The village abutting mine is debating changing the name of their school because it's named after the founder of the town, who didn't allow Jews and blacks.

However, does that mean that we should remove any honor from the founders for creating a nation where black people are 3/5ths of a person? Or do we give them honors for the good they did, but with the obligation of also pointing out what is now rightfully considered bad?
I assume you are referring to Joseph Sears?

This is a pretty interesting read about Kenilworth.

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/25520
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Geezer wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:19 am IMHO actions of the past need to be judged by the context as they existed.
Fine, but we can go ahead and finally nix Columbus Day.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Columbus Day is a Federal holiday.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's been fully switched to indigenous peoples day here. As long as I still have it off work.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Geezer wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:19 am IMHO actions of the past need to be judged by the context as they existed.
Exactly. These were strong and visionary men (yes only men) who did well under the circumstances. Deifying then and assigning a sense of infallibility to them is just as bad as vilifying them for engaging in what passed for social norms back then
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Leawood wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:51 am Columbus Day is a Federal holiday.
Yep. All it takes to nix/modify is the stroke of a pen.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

It doesn’t matter this year because there will be no more civil jury trials this year, but that free Monday has saved my bacon 15 times.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

That's fine--we can keep the day off.

Truman Day in MO is also a nice little break.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

July 4th can be All Nations Matter day.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Grandma wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:35 am
Mjl wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:14 am The village abutting mine is debating changing the name of their school because it's named after the founder of the town, who didn't allow Jews and blacks.

I assume you are referring to Joseph Sears?

This is a pretty interesting read about Kenilworth.

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/25520
Yep, that's the one.

The interesting part to me is that they never changed the rules until it became illegal nationally, if I'm not mistaken. For that reason I think less of the town and would have never considered moving there.

That said, this happened right by my house when we moved in: https://patch.com/illinois/winnetka/ant ... chalkboard

And we got some "Go away Jews" thing in our mailbox. So I suppose my town isn't much better.

People suck.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Used to joke to my Jewish and Black friends that we needed to lock the car doors when we drove through Kenilworth in the early 80s. I'd imagine the generations before me might have actually felt they needed to.
Didn't know that and really doesn't shock me about Winnetka.
My parents were business owners in Winnetka.
I had a few bad experiences in Junior High and High School in Winnetka due to my religion.
Hey, I hate some Jews too but I try to hate everyone equally and don't discriminate with my hatred.