Millennials

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 310

Re: Millennials

Post by Deleted User 310 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:34 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:32 pm Sophomore year of HS, first hour Spanish class.
WTH. I was sophomore year of HS, second hour Spanish class (news takes time to get to West KS).
Dang me too...but not in Spanish class. It was "constitution/government" class.

Lots of 04s here.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:05 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:52 pm Self proclaiming themselves as the next greatest generation is the most millenial thing ever
After thinking about this more, I really wouldn’t hesitate to declare our generation the greatest if we do achieve some unprecedented advances in civil rights and equality.

That, and we legalized weed.

The greatest? Better than the generations that secured and maintained your right to protest and change such injustices and allowed you to vote for the right in favor or civil rights, the right to legalize weed? Better than the generations before yoi that died and fought and struggled to give you the right to make a living fishing instead of working in a factory and splitting all your wages with the other millions? The Best? The greatest generation?

How very millenial of you. Ill see if i can round up a generic ribbon or triphy to hand to you for participating in this discussion.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

The fact that someone would even take the time to create a thread to celebrate their own generation, much less propose it as the greatest in history really rattles my cage. Sorry, just cant fathom the arrogance and disregard for the past that would require.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

you forgot to yell at the cloud
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I meant it as more gut checks on more different levels than many generations.

On a practical level, I can be as self depreciating about millennials as anyone.

But if we are to be the greatest, it’s not meant as put down to previous generations. It’s that we can draw upon the lessons gained from previous generations to be the best yet, and just optimistically keep progressing.

I expect the next generation/s to be better yet.
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:25 pm Absolutely. The former half looks way more like Gen X and the latter like Gen Z.

If you remember what you were doing when 9/11 happen should maybe be where the split is.
How could you forget? But I guess Im an X so doesnt really apply. I also agree millenials are really 2 groups. 9/11 coincides with the rise of high speed internet available also.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:37 pm I meant it as more gut checks on more different levels than many generations.

On a practical level, I can be as self depriving about millennials as anyone.

But if we are to be the greatest, it’s not meant as put down to previous generations. It’s that we can draw upon the lessons gained from previous generations to be the best yet; to just optimistically keep progressing.

More of a gut check than the great depression

Than WWI

Than WW2

The Civil War

I could list a hundred more events.
Last edited by TDub on Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Oh, and i dont expect much from future generations.....ive seen yours.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:33 pm you forgot to yell at the cloud
Goddamn millenials . Everythings about the cloud
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I work with several millenial wanna be carpenters. Lemme just say that they certainly arent the greatest yet, despite the many lessons of other generations, they wont listen and keep thinking everything should be handed to them wothout the work....and how theyre the greatest and have changed the world. All while stepping on the backs of figurative giants.
Just Ledoux it
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Have a beer.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeesh. Hell of a trigger.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:37 pm I meant it as more gut checks on more different levels than many generations.

On a practical level, I can be as self depreciating about millennials as anyone.

But if we are to be the greatest, it’s not meant as put down to previous generations. It’s that we can draw upon the lessons gained from previous generations to be the best yet, and just optimistically keep progressing.

Heard a WWII vet from Johnson County who'd survived the Depression, had jumped into Normandy, survived Bastogne, made it back and had a good life, someone who'd definitely be called a member of the Greatest Generation talk to a military audience of much younger folks at a base in Belgium. He said that every generation is the Greatest Generation. I've reflected on his words over the years and think they were quite wise.
Don't inject Lysol.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The present chaos proves that every generation better carefully select its greatest leaders or its greatest revolutionaries.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

believe me baby every generation got its own disease and I've got mine
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:42 pm I work with several millenial wanna be carpenters. Lemme just say that they certainly arent the greatest yet, despite the many lessons of other generations, they wont listen and keep thinking everything should be handed to them wothout the work....and how theyre the greatest and have changed the world. All while stepping on the backs of figurative giants.
But this is what I'm talking about with there being two sub-generations within "millennials".

Older millennials (approximately '00-'05 high school) were either still in school or just getting started when the bottom fell out of the economy. The job market shriveled, and employers had all the power. And education costs were already ascendant, so loan balances were high.

In my experience - I'm an '04, like everyone else here - work ethic is not a problem with this set (as a general matter).

The words that often get attached to millennials ("entitled", "lazy", "participation trophies", etc.) - I tend to see those traits much more in younger millennials, who did not enter the real world until after the recession recovery was well underway.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The '04ers also brought you all the start of the conference title streak and the first National Championship in 2 decades.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The 04'ers broke the streak and lost to Bucknell and Bradley as well.
Without the 2004 season, maybe our streak would be 17 straight.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:27 am The '04ers also brought you all the start of the conference title streak and the first National Championship in 2 decades.
Yea, but it took them until they were seniors, we dont like seniors around here. ;)
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »