When it rains it pours....

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

When it rains it pours....

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Literally.
My mother fell in her apartment. Hurt herself bad. I ran over to her apartment and got caught in a monsoon. Only 15 minutes it’s rained all day. Got to her apartment, called 911, and of course not only will they not let me be with her in the hospital, they won’t even let me sit in the hospital. Needless to say she’s very upset. My guess is fractured/broken pelvis or hip. She was supposed to get a PET scan next week for lung cancer and she has been getting injections in her eye for an eye issue. Sucks to be her!
Moral of the story is....
It’s a blessing and a curse to have an 87 year old parent who is mentally pretty good but physically not too good.
In other news.....
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: When it rains it pours....

Post by jhawks99 »

Sucks that you can't be there. I hope she's better soon and the PET comes back good. When I had my eye surgery for a torn retina, there were a lot of people in the office for injections. I hate needles enough without getting it in the eye. I couldn't do it.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Hey gutter, tell your mom I wish her well.

That kind of sounds like a zing, even though it’s meant sincerely.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Sorry to hear that, Gutter, I feel your pain. My mother is 95 1/2, lives in her own house, still drives and cooks for herself, and my dumbshit, no science brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews stop by her house numerous times daily with groceries or to help her with house chores and they're all maskless. They refuse to wear masks anywhere and will not enter businesses that require them. I'm pissed off by this. What is unbelievable is that two of my sisters are MENSA. My brother is pretty bright but the last time I talked to him he was a full blown flat-earther. SMH.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Best wishes man! It’s very good that you’re able to care for your mother but it’s also very difficult. Hopefully this too shall pass. Hang in there
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sorry for all the rain all at once Gutman.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Grandma wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:24 pm Literally.
My mother fell in her apartment. Hurt herself bad. I ran over to her apartment and got caught in a monsoon. Only 15 minutes it’s rained all day. Got to her apartment, called 911, and of course not only will they not let me be with her in the hospital, they won’t even let me sit in the hospital. Needless to say she’s very upset. My guess is fractured/broken pelvis or hip. She was supposed to get a PET scan next week for lung cancer and she has been getting injections in her eye for an eye issue. Sucks to be her!
It’s a blessing and a curse to have an 87 year old parent who is mentally pretty good but physically not too good.
In other news.....
Sorry to hear that. Hope she gets to feeling better soon.

My younger cousin died in the hospital during covid (not from covid) they let his dad (my uncle) come visit for a short time on the day he passed, but he basically had to spend his last week or 2 alive alone in the hospital due to covid worries.

I know its for their protection (patients/doctors) and the others (the family members), but it doesnt make it any easier.

Hang in there!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Bummer gutter. Hope the week improves.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 289

jhawks99 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm Sucks that you can't be there. I hope she's better soon and the PET comes back good. When I had my eye surgery for a torn retina, there were a lot of people in the office for injections. I hate needles enough without getting it in the eye. I couldn't do it.
Thanks 99! Coincidentally, she has a major eye issue right now and she has been getting injections in her eye.
Deleted User 289

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:49 pm Hey gutter, tell your mom I wish her well.

That kind of sounds like a zing, even though it’s meant sincerely.
Thanks ousy!
Deleted User 289

defixione wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:50 pm Sorry to hear that, Gutter, I feel your pain. My mother is 95 1/2, lives in her own house, still drives and cooks for herself, and my dumbshit, no science brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews stop by her house numerous times daily with groceries or to help her with house chores and they're all maskless. They refuse to wear masks anywhere and will not enter businesses that require them. I'm pissed off by this. What is unbelievable is that two of my sisters are MENSA. My brother is pretty bright but the last time I talked to him he was a full blown flat-earther. SMH.
Thanks defixione!
Nice to know that your mother is 95.5 and still plugging along - as is/was my mother.
Not so funny thing is your relatives are nonchalant regarding the virus and mine tend to be anal.
I try and fall in-between but lean towards being more anal.
I find it interesting that "MENSA" people tend to think more liberally than conservatively - and I am not referring to politics. I'm not going to go in to my reasoning why I feel that is.
Deleted User 289

zsn wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:41 pm Best wishes man! It’s very good that you’re able to care for your mother but it’s also very difficult. Hopefully this too shall pass. Hang in there
Thanks zsn! Yes, as I often say, it's a blessing and curse. I finally said to my sister last night that I feel obligated to live my life for my mother more than for myself. For example, I feel I can't move from Chicago because while there are people here who are her friends and relatives, I am her go to person and primary care giver.
Deleted User 289

pdub wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:03 pm Sorry for all the rain all at once Gutman.
Thanks pdub! It's usually how it goes. At least for me.
Deleted User 289

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:51 pm
In other news.....

My younger cousin died in the hospital during covid (not from covid) they let his dad (my uncle) come visit for a short time on the day he passed, but he basically had to spend his last week or 2 alive alone in the hospital due to covid worries.

I know its for their protection (patients/doctors) and the others (the family members), but it doesnt make it any easier.

Hang in there!
Thanks Illini!
I think you shared about your cousin and I am very sorry to hear/read it!
I'm 100% in favor of the hospitals being cautious but I am going to tell you and everyone else that Northwestern Hospital, which is supposed to be an "elite" or at least "very good" hospital, is a shit show.
I did go to the Emergency Room because one of her nurses was going to meet me in the "triage" area so I could give her a few things to give to my mother. The Emergency Room at Northwestern is very poorly set up and I am not going to go in to details why.
Interestingly they WILL let me come visit her after 10:00am today but at the moment she is in "Observation" which is not an actual hospital room and not the Emergency Room.
I'm very hesitant to go for many reasons. My hope is they either put her in a regular room or release her today. Not sure if they will send her home or to a rehab facility. We will get a care giver if she's sent home.
Deleted User 289

TDub wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:19 pm Bummer gutter. Hope the week improves.
Thanks TDub! I know today and this week will have its challenges. Key is for me to try and keep what little sanity I have.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Grandma wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:54 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:51 pm
In other news.....

Hang in there!
Thanks Illini!
I think you shared about your cousin and I am very sorry to hear/read it!
I'm 100% in favor of the hospitals being cautious but I am going to tell you and everyone else that Northwestern Hospital, which is supposed to be an "elite" or at least "very good" hospital, is a shit show.
I did go to the Emergency Room because one of her nurses was going to meet me in the "triage" area so I could give her a few things to give to my mother. The Emergency Room at Northwestern is very poorly set up and I am not going to go in to details why.
Interestingly they WILL let me come visit her after 10:00am today but at the moment she is in "Observation" which is not an actual hospital room and not the Emergency Room.
I'm very hesitant to go for many reasons. My hope is they either put her in a regular room or release her today. Not sure if they will send her home or to a rehab facility. We will get a care giver if she's sent home.
Thanks...dont be sorry for me though. He did it to himself via drugs and alcohol. I hadnt seen him in many years. We were never really close. I felt bad for my uncle though as no parent should ever have to bury a child (let alone have to make the call to take them off of life support).

I am surprised and saddened that northwestern hospital hadnt figured out a good way to deal with unique scenarios such as yours after all this time. There has to be ways to accommodate caregivers more effectively and safely. I cant imagine having a parent or child in there and not being able to be there even just for comfort.

Hopefully you arent in your spot for too long and can get her back home and healthy.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Sorry to hear that gutter. Hopefully your Mom makes a full recovery. You're a good son and I'm sure she appreciates all you do for her.
Deleted User 289

shindig wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:16 am Sorry to hear that gutter. Hopefully your Mom makes a full recovery. You're a good son and I'm sure she appreciates all you do for her.
Thanks shindig! I appreciate the kind words!
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Gutter, I hope it doesn’t turn into....