Dumbfuck in charge

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Dumbfuck in charge

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am Except the jig will be up if, when the music stops, Democrats control the legislative and executive branches.

And they know that. At some point - and lord knows it's felt like we've lapped that point like it was a two-legged horse at Churchill Downs - the instinct for self-preservation (which is well-honed in these people) would suggest cutting bait.
I fully expect the Dems to nuke the filibuster in the next legislative session. Doing it early, and doing it loudly, ("We need to reverse the misguided policy of the previous administration, thus we are suspending the filibuster blah blah blah"). Doing it early and forcefully will also give it two years before next mid-term, when it's not going to be front of mind. Completely neutering the GOP will be interesting. I wonder if that makes them change their tune. Also, redistricting is about to happen, with GOP judges giving the blessing to political gerrymander. If Dems don't take advantage of that, then they are just dumb.

It might have been smarter to let Clinton win 2016 and build up for a massive 2020 change election, where they could further entrench their power.
I don't know - if nothing else, the Trump presidency ensured the judiciary would be at least partially in the bag for a generation.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

If RBG (take my energy) kicks the bucket, Dems will also be packing the courts as well. I'm glad Roberts has been above all of this, but I agree, the judiciary is a mess, but I feel like Dems have something up their sleeves with the fact they've been so quiet about it.

Also, I generally trust qualified judges. I can't say that these are qualified judges tho.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

The more he complains about mail-in voting, the more it makes me think his group has some plan on order to manipulate mail-in votes. Everything he accuses others of is inevitably something that he himself is actually doing. He just can't help but talk about what he thinks he is getting away with. He seems to think it is a clever way to brag.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:07 am
The more he complains about mail-in voting, the more it makes me think his group has some plan on order to manipulate mail-in votes. Everything he accuses others of is inevitably something that he himself is actually doing. He just can't help but talk about what he thinks he is getting away with. He seems to think it is a clever way to brag.
The most logical thing would be to "catch" someone bad fiddling with ballots or the process. Then you claim it's all illegitimate.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:11 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:07 am
The most logical thing would be to "catch" someone bad fiddling with ballots or the process. Then you claim it's all illegitimate.
While a semi truck full of mail in ballots sits in a warehouse owned by a shell company owned by a Russian oligarch.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I suspect the results are going to be so overwhelming that you can't fix this election by not counting a portion of the ballots. I think the only path is to delegitimize the results.
Deleted User 318

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:17 am I suspect the results are going to be so overwhelming that you can't fix this election by not counting a portion of the ballots. I think the only path is to delegitimize the results.
I'm hoping that enough people vote (SAFELY) in person, because what I think happens, is all these Trumpers go vote in person because they think there is something actually wrong with voting absentee/by mail, say PA, WI and MI are like 48-47 Biden Wednesday morning, then all the absentee ballots push the totals to something like 53-43 Biden because Biden voters believe in science and facts, that's when we are going to have a problem.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:07 am If RBG (take my energy) kicks the bucket, Dems will also be packing the courts as well. I'm glad Roberts has been above all of this, but I agree, the judiciary is a mess, but I feel like Dems have something up their sleeves with the fact they've been so quiet about it.

Also, I generally trust qualified judges. I can't say that these are qualified judges tho.
They were also mostly quiet about all 450 candidates that started the quest for the nomination, and ended up with Biden. Let’s not forget the level of ineptitude here.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC-

I think that sequence is precisely what will happen. And that, combined with record turnout (especially among historically low-voting groups) will be FRAUD.
Deleted User 318

Ah, I didn't realize GDP numbers were coming out today. He tweeted that 30 minutes before the numbers dropped. It's just your standard flooding the zone, and less about the actual election.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It is now his pinned tweet.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

As a total aside, did you all know that Judge Srinivasan was Danny Manning’s teammate at Lawrence High (I think he was one year behind Danny) and his dad was a math professor at KU? Some of us who were at KU before ousie was born may have had a class or two with him.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Is Donald Bi Polar?
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 318

NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:23 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 am Regarding Trump’s claims of election and inquiries to delay/interfere, I think the biggest question mark remains:

just how far are republicans willing to march with this guy?
Every single republican will give the following quote, “the president was obviously joking, but we do want to make sure our elections are secure.”

None will advocate delaying anything.
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status ... 0957760512

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/12 ... 7070448642

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1288887113879101442

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1288886840360148993

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1288889113215729665
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Republicans finally found an issue they feel safe pushing back on Trump; an issue where it is 100% certain that Trump cannot do what he says he wants to do. That's what it takes from them to show even a low rustling of push back.

Vote them all out.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What’ll really get interesting, is how gop lawmakers respond if/when their base starts calling for a delay...
Deleted User 318

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:53 pm What’ll really get interesting, is how gop lawmakers respond if/when their base starts calling for a delay...
They are. Saw a ton of folks demonizing mail in ballots and saying we should wait until after COVID to hold an election. Not sure the sincerity, but there is a vocal minority asking for it. I'll keep an eye out for poles that ask about it. I'm sure some polesters will be asking soon.
Deleted User 318

NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 am I fully expect the Dems to nuke the filibuster in the next legislative session. Doing it early, and doing it loudly, ("We need to reverse the misguided policy of the previous administration, thus we are suspending the filibuster blah blah blah"). Doing it early and forcefully will also give it two years before next mid-term, when it's not going to be front of mind.
Obama browsing KC again

Obama calls filibuster 'Jim Crow relic,' backs new Voting Rights Act bill

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/50982 ... crow-relic
Former President Obama on Thursday called the Senate filibuster rule a "Jim Crow relic" and said it should be ended to help pass legislation that would restore a key provision of the Voting Rights Act.
The former president's support for nixing the Senate filibuster — a procedural tactic that requires 60 votes for legislation to proceed — is likely to spark intense political debate. If Democrats win back both the Senate and the White House, they will be under pressure to get rid of the filibuster rule in order to push through high-priority legislation.

Changing Senate rules through a simple majority, a move sometimes referred to as the “nuclear option,” would be highly controversial, and it’s unclear if Democrats would have the political will or the votes needed to end the procedure.

But doing so would give them a better shot of passing measures like the Lewis bill on voting rights, even with a slim majority.

Earlier this month, presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden suggested he might support eliminating the filibuster if Senate Republicans were to adopt a hard line on opposing proposals from a prospective Democratic majority.
Now, Dems better hope they actually win back the senate, or it's going to be awkward with Mitch and Nancy sending competing bills to each other.
Deleted User 318

Also, Obama talking filibuster during the eulogy of the greatest civil rights icon since MLK is very DC (of Columbia, not my not nice self) of him.