2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:12 pm Ville's coach is saying he was told the ACC is going to move forward no matter what the other conferences do.
That quote taken out of context. Before he said that he said, "As far as what I've been told this morning"
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Rumor is Big 10 no football in the fall.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:38 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:27 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:24 pm Kinda hard to claim that ncaa football players are just student athletes if you build a ton of protocols to keep them safe that you do not do for the rest of your on-campus students. The ncaa and schools lose less money cancelling the season than they do treating players as employees and having to pay them moving forward.
I saw in Trevor Lawrence's statement that playing is better protection for players than going home. I would not be surprised if that's true.

The problem is that, even in a fanless season, a college football game is, what, 500 people or so per? Traveling around? In college towns?
That's true IF they do regular testing and separate them from the student body and quarantine them if they test positive. I doubt many question that.

But how do you turn around and argue that the athletes are just regular students if you are giving them all of these extra things you arent doing for the general student body?

The ncaa's desperate grasp of their antiquated arguments for not paying athletes painted them into this corner.
The issue wouldn't be giving them extra protections. They already get significantly more things than the average student, and it would be shitty to parade them out there without taking extra precaustions.

The issue is the opposite, restricting them in ways that don't allow them to be students. Not being able to take in person classes on a campus that's holding in person classes, for example.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:00 pm Rumor is Big 10 no football in the fall.
It's confirmed...hours ago. You already missed that convo.
Deleted User 318

Now Trump has spoken, SEC about to be the only league playing this fall.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:42 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:38 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:27 pm

I saw in Trevor Lawrence's statement that playing is better protection for players than going home. I would not be surprised if that's true.

The problem is that, even in a fanless season, a college football game is, what, 500 people or so per? Traveling around? In college towns?
That's true IF they do regular testing and separate them from the student body and quarantine them if they test positive. I doubt many question that.

But how do you turn around and argue that the athletes are just regular students if you are giving them all of these extra things you arent doing for the general student body?

The ncaa's desperate grasp of their antiquated arguments for not paying athletes painted them into this corner.
Not that this argument holds up much better for pro sports, but: god damn, it's irresponsible to test the way we need to test for sports, when we can't test at a reasonable degree across everyone.
I am OK with pro sports testing a lot so that they can provide me a mental health break from this craziness.

How many tests could we have for the cost of the completely unnecessary military equipment that was attached to the next round of stimulus relief?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Nebraska’s Frost says if Big 10 doesn’t play, they will play whoever wherever basically. Guys, is this the beginning of the end of conferences and the NCAA?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 318

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:48 pm Nebraska’s Frost says if Big 10 doesn’t play, they will play whoever wherever basically. Guys, is this the beginning of the end of conferences and the NCAA?
Honestly, I'm looking the #WeAreUnited and #WeWantToPlay movement that I kinda missed, and I think players are getting very serious about unionizing. If that happens, I could see the NCAA going to basically non-P5 conferences, and some sort of new governing body going to the P5 conference. But without the NCAA Basketball Tourney, I can't see how the NCAA survives, unless shedding all the P5 stuff is enough to keep a bare bones organization that is more of just the clearing house, and less the complete gatekeepers.

Honestly (much to the pDub's demise) we could've see the final days of the NCAA as we know it. It's outdated and arbitrary, and if we want to keep college sports exciting, it might be time that it goes away for the money making sports.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't have an issue with the NCAA dismantling but if we got just another pro sports league in place with further distancing from academics and the schools associated with these amateur sports programs, I don't have any interest in that.
Deleted User 318

If Michigan plays Ohio State, who cares if they have an NCAA patch, or a College Sports League (CSL) patch. Nothing will change except Trevor Lawrence gets to wear his own sneakers, and Perry Ellis gets to hawk used cars on 23rd Street.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Nothing will change except..."

Continues to list out the things I don't have interest in.
If you want to create a league where all the people playing are just young, and can all be paid, start a new league, and disassociate it with college.
Deleted User 318

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:06 pm
My bad. Didnt even see it on ESPN so i didn't know of it was real
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 318

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:16 pm
NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:06 pm
My bad. Didnt even see it on ESPN so i didn't know of it was real
No worries, just wanted to make sure you can catch up on all the hot takes just in case you were curious.

Speaking of hot takes, and if she couldn't be any more tone deaf...

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The mouthbreather coaches (and president) make me feel like college football isn't something worth saving anyway.

Deleted User 318

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:31 pm The mouthbreather coaches (and president) make me feel like college football isn't something worth saving anyway.

TBF, I'm not sure you or I wouldn't rally around Bill Self trying to keep the basketball season alive in a few months. November 10, KU vs UK, election just ended, we can all breath a sigh of relief after a 400 to 138 drumming of President Trump, Trump declares Biden the winner and vows a smooth transition, and all we want to to ease into winter and the holiday season with the top 5 ranked Jayhawks, then Big 12 says no Basketball even though other leagues look to be playing. If Self cries for basketball to start, I don't know if you or I or anyone else here doesn't nod in agreement with HCBS, and says basketball should start on time.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm not sure this directly answers your question, but if we weren't doing literally every fucking thing wrong, on almost an escalating basis, I'd feel much more sanguine about starting sports.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I'm not sure what Frost means by that?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Big 10 officially postponing football to spring.
Pac 12 going to follow this afternoon too.

By the end of today, something like 53 of the 130+ D1 teams will not be playing football this fall.