Grandma's 5 Questions for 8/14/20

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

Grandma's 5 Questions for 8/14/20

Post by Deleted User 289 »

1. In the past 6 months, have you been tested for COVID-19?

2. I live in an apartment and pay rent. I have lived in the building for 12 years and my current apartment for about 5 years. I have many doorknobs and door handles in my apartment. I have replaced most of the handles but none of the knobs. The day I moved in I noticed the outside knob to my bathroom door is a bronze color and the inside knob is a silver color. Never made any sense but never bothered me enough to change one or both of them. Today was the first day in 5 years that I actually bothered to look and see my bedroom door has bronze knobs on both sides and my front door had silver knobs on both sides.
Question is, without looking, do you think you know (or do you 100% know) the color of ALL the doorknobs in your home?

3. This one may be too personal and my guess is some answer it in a sarcastic manner.
Imagine your 23 year old self. You are dating someone but are not in a "committed" relationship.
The person tells you they want to "role play". They give you the option of one of the following scenarios. Which do you choose?
a) They are a nurse/doctor, you are a patient.
b) They are a cop, you are a criminal.
c) They are a delivery person, you are the customer.
d) They are a secretary, you are the boss.
e) They are a maid, you are the person they are the maid for.
f) They are a teacher, you are a student.

4. The company I work for is going public. Yesterday we had a firm wide Zoom conference. A lot of Q&A. Most people asked questions anonymously. I was able to tell who some of the people were just by the words they used and their grammar. One employee made a "statement". It was not a question. I know exactly who it was - and it was a moronic statement that proved the person has ZERO understanding of what our going public means nor do they know what our company basically does.
Last night I exchanged a couple of text messages with person in "senior management" and I made a joke about the person. The person in senior management thought it was someone else. I have NO clue why they would think it was the other person. I am 100% sure it was the person I said it was.
Most people in senior management are oblivious to this employee being fucking clueless about most things - and what bothers me is this person often represents the company in terms of "social activities/functions".
I find it to be both asinine and embarrassing.
Question is, should I be going to multiple people in senior management and explain to them that this person clearly showed they are an idiot by making the statement - and make senior management aware of how big of a dumbfuck this person is most of the time - and express my feelings about how this person should NOT be representing our company in any manner - if we care about our reputation?

5. MULTIPLE PART QUESTION
If, if, if.....
IF the NBA has a 2020 Finals this summer (fall), who do you think will win the Championship?
IF MLB has a 2020 World Series this fall, who do you think will win the World Series?
IF the NFL has a 2020 season and a Super Bowl played in the winter (or spring), who do you think will win the Super Bowl?
ousdahl

Re: Grandma's 5 Questions for 8/14/20

Post by ousdahl »

1. LOL no bro, this is America
2. LOL no bro, wut
3. LOL I dunno, just take the costume off and bang me
4. Unless you’re willing to risk it coming back around and biting yourself in the ass, I’d tread lightly about it
5. Lakers cuz at least Lebron has a Jayhawk on his roster again, dunno, Chiefs
Deleted User 289

1. No
2. Now I do
3. ousdahl's answer is a good one.
4. Yes. It's about time I speak up. Of course it will make me an asshole and a "snitch" but it's gotten to the point where it is very difficult for me to sit back and not say something. I do feel it is in the best interest/s of the company if they are made fully aware of the situation - and it would be worse if something really bad happens with this person - if I didn't say something.
5. All the way up until this morning I would have said the Lakers. This morning I am going to say the Clippers.
Today I feel I would be foolish if I didn't say the Cubs.
Can't bet against the current NFL champs and I see no reason why the Chiefs can't/won't repeat.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

1. No
2. No clue. Silver?
3. No.
4. If I were senior management and you did that, I would fire you.
5. Lakers
Deleted User 289

Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:17 am 1. No
2. No clue. Silver?
3. No.
5. Lakers
Fire ME? Why? I am seriously interested in your answer.
I think as a senior manager I would be more upset if someone DIDN'T speak up if they knew something was wrong - about something that I was not aware of - that could be (or is) hurting the company.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

1. No
2. No
3. F
4. TLDR
5. Clips, Yankees, Chiefs
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Grandma wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:58 am
2. No clue. Silver?
3. No.
5. Lakers
I think as a senior manager I would be more upset if someone DIDN'T speak up if they knew something was wrong - about something that I was not aware of - that could be (or is) hurting the company.
Systems should be in place so that they are made aware of poor performance. A culture of snitching makes for an awful work environment. I wouldn't want people looking to get in good with management by pointing out the failures of others
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Gutter just PM'd me that you left out a period at the end of your post.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

2. No clue. Silver?
3. No.
5. Lakers
I died on this same hill last fall.

You can read all about it in the OFFICIAL OUSDAHL IS FUNEMPLOYED THREAD thread.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What’s the relationship between the senior manager and the guy you feel is an idiot?

Cuz if the senior manager is the one who recruited/interviewed/hired/promoted the idiot, he’s probably gonna side with the idiot, and prob gonna take it as a personal slight to his/her own decision making if you say something.

If the manager and the idiot have some closer relationship - they’re college frat bros or old drinking buddies or on the same softball team or something - you might as well pack up your desk right now.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Usually if you just worry about yourself and your performance and make sure you are doing your job correctly then the rest takes care of itself. Successful businesses and successful business owners usually are smart enough to figure what's best for their company and the bottom line
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

1. Yes. Mandatory testing every other week, since we have labs and people come in to work on a hybrid model. I go in one day a week. It helps connect with my coworkers since I only started this job 6 weeks ago. So far everyone in our company has tested negative.

2. Yes, I bought and installed all of them

3. Ousie is correct

4. What others said. It comes across as being bitter

5. Lakers
Deleted User 289

Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:16 am
2. No clue. Silver?
3. No.
5. Lakers
Systems should be in place so that they are made aware of poor performance. A culture of snitching makes for an awful work environment. I wouldn't want people looking to get in good with management by pointing out the failures of others
Thanks for taking the time to respond!
We have a performance analysis/review system that is extensive - yet, our "system" is lacking in many regards.
I agree "snitching" makes for a bad work environment but I have to assess if the snitching is justified - and which is worse, my snitching or the person continuing to do what they do (and don't do).
I hear you when you say - "I wouldn't want people looking to get in good with management by pointing out the failures of others". There are some members of "senior management" that I am very close with and there are some who I know are indifferent in terms of how they feel about me.
I have a role in the company in which I very well may be the most "aware" person in terms of what does and doesn't go on regarding employees and their behavior. I report directly to multiple people including but not limited to the CEO and the head of HR. It's kind of my responsibility to make them aware of things they are not aware of - but of course there is always a fine line.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

1. COVID has to take a test to see if it has me.
2. I'm not even certain of the shape of the doorknobs in my home.
3. If I'm 23, I'm the student.
4. I'd let it go.
5. (a) Milwaukee (BIFM); (b) I'm rooting for baseball to be cancelled for the rest of time; (c) Chiefs, and it's not even close.
Ain't no seats
Deleted User 289

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:34 am What’s the relationship between the senior manager and the guy you feel is an idiot?

Cuz if the senior manager is the one who recruited/interviewed/hired/promoted the idiot, he’s probably gonna side with the idiot, and prob gonna take it as a personal slight to his/her own decision making if you say something.

If the manager and the idiot have some closer relationship - they’re college frat bros or old drinking buddies or on the same softball team or something - you might as well pack up your desk right now.
Corrections based on your assumptions.
Woman, not guy. Know, not feel. Her manager is is a she, not a he.

We have multiple senior mangers. Most but not all I feel close to/with. The person I am referring to has a "manager" I am not very close with but have spoken with numerous times about different work related concerns. Her manager is NOT the one who hired her but I agree with you 100% that mangers take offense when you point out people under their leadership suck - because they take it as an attack on them as a reflection of their management.
I'm far from bing alone in my feelings about this person. I think it gets ignored because she doesn't have such an important role in that it affects our relationships with our clients. Sort of like, out of sight - out of mind.
Deleted User 289

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 am Usually if you just worry about yourself and your performance and make sure you are doing your job correctly then the rest takes care of itself. Successful businesses and successful business owners usually are smart enough to figure what's best for their company and the bottom line
I agree 100%. I think part of the reason she's still around is because it's difficult to replace her and train someone new - if she were to leave without training her replacement. That and the fact that she's often a brown noser. Many in senior management are oblivious to her simply because they have bigger fish to fry and she is of no direct concern to them.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh dang.

I put a his/her in there but not enough times.

And sorry to take a dump on your face but brown nosers often make it further up the corporate ladder than anyone who tries to advance their career by just working hard about it.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

1. No but both of my parents have.

2. They are all silver.

3. I am not sure i could "role play" seriously, but i guess i would choose teacher student.

4. No. I generally think it is best to stay in your own lane. Especially if it isn't impacting your money.

5. Lakers. Not sure. Chiefs or Ravens.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:07 am Oh dang.

I put a his/her in there but not enough times.

And sorry to take a dump on your face but brown nosers often make it further up the corporate ladder than anyone who tries to advance their career by just working hard about it.

Thats just not true. Thats an excuse. It may help them initially but not overall.
Just Ledoux it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

1. No
2. Yes. A few gold knobs but rest are silver.
3. Yeah no
4. Let it go and focus on you.
5. Raptors. Yanks. Chefs.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG