Grandma's 5 Questions for 8/14/20

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Grandma's 5 Questions for 8/14/20

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:11 am

3. I am not sure i could "role play" seriously, but i guess i would choose teacher student.

Spanish Armada...

Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Grandma wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:45 am
Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:16 am
Grandma wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:58 am

Fire ME? Why? I am seriously interested in your answer.
I think as a senior manager I would be more upset if someone DIDN'T speak up if they knew something was wrong - about something that I was not aware of - that could be (or is) hurting the company.
Systems should be in place so that they are made aware of poor performance. A culture of snitching makes for an awful work environment. I wouldn't want people looking to get in good with management by pointing out the failures of others
Thanks for taking the time to respond!
We have a performance analysis/review system that is extensive - yet, our "system" is lacking in many regards.
I agree "snitching" makes for a bad work environment but I have to assess if the snitching is justified - and which is worse, my snitching or the person continuing to do what they do (and don't do).
I hear you when you say - "I wouldn't want people looking to get in good with management by pointing out the failures of others". There are some members of "senior management" that I am very close with and there are some who I know are indifferent in terms of how they feel about me.
I have a role in the company in which I very well may be the most "aware" person in terms of what does and doesn't go on regarding employees and their behavior. I report directly to multiple people including but not limited to the CEO and the head of HR. It's kind of my responsibility to make them aware of things they are not aware of - but of course there is always a fine line.
If it is part of your job duties then it isnt snitching....but if it is just a scenario where the convo goes "did you see *comment*?...i am 99.9% sure that comment was made by *person*. That comment shows they know nothing about our company and i dont feel the should be representing us at social functions."....then i would say it probably isn't a good move and could end up looking bad on you. Especially since it was anonymous on purpose. My main hesitation is they made it anonymous for a reason. Now, sometimes my company sends out anonymous questionnaires via our company intranet that aren't truly anonymous in that if you say something rude/stupid they can absolutely have IT figure out who submitted it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

1) Yes
2) Yes, I replaced all of the interior doors and door knobs in my house myself several years ago.
3) A, B, C and E. I dont mess around with Boss/Employee and Student/Teacher relationships.
4) Not if your job does not require it.
5) Haven't paid any attention to MLB and dont care.

The NBA is usually a Top 2 seed in a conference so pick one of them. I just want the playoffs to be good to watch, I dont care who wins. Well, the Bucks have Frank Mason and he's actually getting a little playing time so I'd like to see them win IF they keep playing Mason.

As far as the NFL, I have to pick the Chiefs. Fingers crossed.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:18 am Gutter just PM'd me that you left out a period at the end of your post.
I lol'ed
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 am Usually if you just worry about yourself and your performance and make sure you are doing your job correctly then the rest takes care of itself. Successful businesses and successful business owners usually are smart enough to figure what's best for their company and the bottom line
So, I don't agree with this either, but not in the way Gutter is worrying about others. I do think that everyone wins when everyone is "worrying" about others, but in a sense of trying to help make others look good, like a good PG or catcher. That's a healthy culture and it can be almost as contagious as the flip side of that (e.g. Gutter in this case).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I just had a coworker fail to properly validate a change she put in that resulted in our bank losing probably $50k in fraud. I have gone out of my way to not name her directly since it is clear what happened and who did it. This is probably the third big dollar oopsie that she has had. I wish she would get fired, she sucks at this job. And she's a royal asshole, too.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:05 pm I just had a coworker fail to properly validate a change she put in that resulted in our bank losing probably $50k in fraud. I have gone out of my way to not name her directly since it is clear what happened and who did it. This is probably the third big dollar oopsie that she has had. I wish she would get fired, she sucks at this job. And she's a royal asshole, too.
I swear we have the same coworker. We haven't had any big dollar oopsies due to her. She just sucks, doesn't retain shit, she's about to retire and she's a true bitch. Multiple complaints by customers and clients of ours and internal employees.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I've cost an insurance company five figures.
I once caused a Giants - Redskins game to show the final score as 76-56 with the team with less points winning - that showed for hours on ESPN and other sites.
Neither company fired me, not should they have.

Fuck-ups happen. Key is finding ways to make them less likely.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:31 pm I once caused a Giants - Redskins game to show the final score as 76-56 with the team with less points winning - that showed for hours on ESPN and other sites.
I'm really curious as to what this job title is and how you get it.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wow, I can’t believe you got away with listing one team as the “Redskins...”
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:34 pm
Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:31 pm I once caused a Giants - Redskins game to show the final score as 76-56 with the team with less points winning - that showed for hours on ESPN and other sites.
Was a software developer for Stats LLC (now Stats Perform). That's part of why it was funny when we had that HoF thread on .net where some guy (billyj or something) accused Hawklin of plagiarism for copying a Stats preview in a know your phoe thread. The author of the article was a few cubes away from me - he didn't mind.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:21 am
pdub wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:18 am Gutter just PM'd me that you left out a period at the end of your post.
I lol'ed
Me too.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:15 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:34 pm
Was a software developer for Stats LLC (now Stats Perform). That's part of why it was funny when we had that HoF thread on .net where some guy (billyj or something) accused Hawklin of plagiarism for copying a Stats preview in a know your phoe thread. The author of the article was a few cubes away from me - he didn't mind.
You may have mentioned it but I didn't know (don't recall) you are/were a software developer.
Cool gig working for Stats LLC! I used to be kind of a stats geek. Not nearly smart enough to make a living but it was a fun "hobby"/"interest" for me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Lotta people gonna get fired just in this thread.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:08 pm
twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:05 pm I just had a coworker fail to properly validate a change she put in that resulted in our bank losing probably $50k in fraud. I have gone out of my way to not name her directly since it is clear what happened and who did it. This is probably the third big dollar oopsie that she has had. I wish she would get fired, she sucks at this job. And she's a royal asshole, too.
I swear we have the same coworker. We haven't had any big dollar oopsies due to her. She just sucks, doesn't retain shit, she's about to retire and she's a true bitch. Multiple complaints by customers and clients of ours and internal employees.
I work in Omaha but this coworker works remotely from Kentucky. She is ultra religious and desperately wants everyone to know it. I am pretty sure that she is drinking during the day and routinely logs in and then leaves to go do personal errands. She constantly tries to steal the work of others and pass it off as her own and will call out a teammate at any opportunity if it might make her look a.little better

Meanwhile, the quality of her work sucks, she does below the bare minimum on average and has had numerous big dollar misses in her testing.

It's nearly impossible to fire someone these days for incompetence so it will sadly take a very large mistake or a huge meltdown for us to shake loose of her. But since I am working to try to take over as Team Lead after our previous Lead retired last month, I have to find a way to squeeze the most positive amount of productivity out of her as possible. She used to work at Mastercard as does have lots of knowledge about their systems so I lean on her for that and try to keep her assigned to less impactful projects but her general incompetence makes that difficult.

She sucks at this job and I wish she would find something that is a better fit but I am afraid she is too close to retirement to make a switch so I may be stuck with her. I'll find a way to deal with it and make the best of it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

One reason I like my industry..if you suck, or if you dont perform. Fuck it, youre gone, no questions and no other reasons needed.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

twocoach wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:39 am
I work in Omaha but this coworker works remotely from Kentucky. She is ultra religious and desperately wants everyone to know it. I am pretty sure that she is drinking during the day and routinely logs in and then leaves to go do personal errands. She constantly tries to steal the work of others and pass it off as her own and will call out a teammate at any opportunity if it might make her look a.little better

Meanwhile, the quality of her work sucks, she does below the bare minimum on average and has had numerous big dollar misses in her testing.

It's nearly impossible to fire someone these days for incompetence so it will sadly take a very large mistake or a huge meltdown for us to shake loose of her. But since I am working to try to take over as Team Lead after our previous Lead retired last month, I have to find a way to squeeze the most positive amount of productivity out of her as possible. She used to work at Mastercard as does have lots of knowledge about their systems so I lean on her for that and try to keep her assigned to less impactful projects but her general incompetence makes that difficult.

She sucks at this job and I wish she would find something that is a better fit but I am afraid she is too close to retirement to make a switch so I may be stuck with her. I'll find a way to deal with it and make the best of it.
Curious why it is nearly impossible to fire someone for incompetence these days?

It is actually very easy to fire someone in right to work states. Nebraska and Kentucky are both right to work states.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:43 am
twocoach wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:39 am

Curious why it is nearly impossible to fire someone for incompetence these days?

It is actually very easy to fire someone in right to work states. Nebraska and Kentucky are both right to work states.
I think it's often more a cultural thing than a legal thing.