NBA boycotts

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

NBA boycotts

Post by pdub »

This deserves it's own thread and I'm creating this with knowing what kind of thread this will become so it can be moved and the NBA Playoff thread can not be about what I think this thread will become.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: NBA boycotts

Post by pdub »

Lakers - Blazers.
Thunder - Rockets.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I guess maybe the players (and player's union?) did COLLECTIVELY decide to boycott.
Except those who made the decision didn't consult the Magic? Strange.

I'm left wondering if Trump is going to make a statement.
Last edited by Deleted User 289 on Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Doc from last night was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhqKda79Lys
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Tbh i think the NBA should just cancel the playoffs and see how the players feel about that. I dont necessarily disagree with what the Bucks decided to do, but clearly the magic were planning on playing (my guess is every other team also would have played today had the Bucks not made their decision). So personally i would have rather seen the NBA give the Magic the win via forfeit or cancel the whole thing. I like the Bucks/players intentions here, but postponing a game for 1 day does nothing. If they are fed up and need to be out there fighting racial injustice and protesting then they cant do that from the bubble. I dont mean that to come across as insensitive, but this sort of feels like a stunt that does very little in the grand scheme of things, especially when the nba is already very supportive of players right to speak their minds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If the nba wants to be supportive, and appear sincere, no way they should just cancel the playoffs.

Let the voices be heard.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:52 pm If the nba wants to be supportive, and appear sincere, no way they should just cancel the playoffs.

Let the voices be heard.
they have been letting their voices be heard though. They allowed slogans on jerseys. They have BLM on courts. They encouraged/supported them using press conferences to voice their concerns about social issues.

I could also say if the players want to appear sincere then postponing a game 1 day isnt a boycott. They are only boycotting themselves and then going to eat their dinner in the hotel room bubble. It just feels like fake advocacy. If they want to boycott then they should say "hey basketball is done until real change occurs on these issues", because meaningful change isnt going to occur in the 24hrs before they start games back up tomorrow.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And while all that may be, I think it comes across as insincere if the league just says, fuck it cancel the season.

But yeah, I’ve kinda wondered about an end game here ( besides the statement in itself, which in itself is plenty enough imho.)

Would they say yeah well play tomorrow if, say, milwaukee pd came out with charges against the cop who shot the guy 7 times in the back?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

This is such a hollow, meaningless move. I'd love to be wrong but really, this doesn't change anything other than what I plan to watch tonight.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My guess it's a few days - maybe even moving throughout the weekend - which the companies advertising will not like so much.

No problem for me - instead of watching NBA i'll just add surveys to kcrim.
Deleted User 310

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:03 pm My guess it's a few days - maybe even moving throughout the weekend - which the companies advertising will not like so much.

No problem for me - instead of watching NBA i'll just add surveys to kcrim.
If they do that or refuse to play at all then i will respect it a lot more and would agree with their choice. If its a day or 2 then not so much.
Deleted User 310

Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Pete Carroll saying nfl teams might protest during season too
Deleted User 310

Kenny the jet Smith took his mic off and left the set. Said he felt he shouldnt be there either since the players were doing what they have decided to do.

Chuck and Shaq stayed...but show is going off air now. The longest yard on instead.

Teams meeting tonight to discuss the next step. Season is likely over.

Bucks didnt even tell the organization they were going to do it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

There is no easy, quick fix. Change doesnt happen over the "next few days". Who determines what the explicit terms of the change are, and when they are significant enough to return to work?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:14 pm There is no easy, quick fix. Change doesnt happen over the "next few days". Who determines what the explicit terms of the change are, and when they are significant enough to return to work?
LeBron James?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

LeBron ain't getting younger.
He and others worked hard making this season happen and he has a path to the Finals...we really think the playoffs are done?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I saw that Kenny Smith walked out of the NBA "pre-game". Did Shaq and Charles follow?
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

As someone who has loved to hate Lebron for...pretty much up until just the past few weeks. No really, I’m just now coming around to him!

but, man I hope he doesn’t somehow douche up again and try to make this about himself.
Deleted User 310

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:08 pm LeBron ain't getting younger.
He and others worked hard making this season happen and he has a path to the Finals...we really think the playoffs are done?
I dont see why the players would have organized a meeting for all the remaining teams for tomorrow if that wasn't being seriously considered.