Never Forget

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 310

Never Forget

Post by Deleted User 310 »

twocoach

Re: Never Forget

Post by twocoach »

Such a horrific day that I will never forget. It's still hard to believe that it really happened.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Those calls to loved ones are hard to listen to. Really puts things in perspective.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Yes and this was before social media and smart phones. I think I had a Samsung flip phone, not even sure if txting was a thing then. I remember calling friends that I knew that lived in NYC and not being able to get through. A good friend of mine did work in WTC5 when it happened, but they were evacuated after the first plane hit.

The crazy thing was nobody knew what was going on. Reports were coming in the White House had been hit, or the Capitol building. It was insane and terrifying at the same time.
Last edited by shindig on Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, I remember the science teacher from across the hall came in and said, “a plane hit one of the twin towers, and while the sky was a smoky mess, another plane hit the other tower,” as if it was a series of freak accidents. No one knew what was up yet.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Spacin' Jason ( KLZR? ) was trying to explain that it was a crazy accident.
No cellphone so I went through 3 hours of class and when I got home my roomie had the TV on and told me we were attacked.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah. First hour Spanish teacher said, ok thanks for the notice, but let’s focus on the lesson we have planned.

Second hour teacher was like, fuck today’s lesson, this event is way more significant, I’m wheeling in one of those tube TVs on the big tall carts and we’re watching the news.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But second hour was just “gifted education” class, cuz grade school admins said ousdahl was like exceptionally smart or something LOL
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I remember that day like it was yesterday. Sitting in class on campus and our professor walked into the room sobbing to tell everyone what had just happened... He immediately dismissed us. I remember Lawrence being a bit chaotic that day. Gas stations were lined up. People were running to the grocery stores. I spent the next couple of days staring at the TV, speechless.

God Bless America.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Gas stations were lined up."

Were for several days.
I'm trying to recall if KU was cancelled on that Wednesday - regardless, I didn't show.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Our boss came down our aisle and told everyone to go get gas if they needed it cuz the gas stations were jacking up the prices by the hour.
Broham
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦