COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 89 »

911 new cases yesterday (single day record), and nearly 12% positivity rate...that’s statewide average.

edit: “fake” local news was wrong...911 isn’t a new record

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/09/17/ ... cox-warns/

so sick of so many selfish people

was down in Bears Ears over Labor day, and there were a number of local establishments outright forbidding masks/ppe
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:05 am was down in Bears Ears over Labor day, and there were a number of local establishments outright forbidding masks/ppe
That is sad.

....there is a price to freedom and that is one of them. People are going to do what they want. The rest of us can only hope to protect ourselves.
Deleted User 89

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:23 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:05 am was down in Bears Ears over Labor day, and there were a number of local establishments outright forbidding masks/ppe
That is sad.

....there is a price to freedom and that is one of them. People are going to do what they want. The rest of us can only hope to protect ourselves.
businesses actually had signs on their doors

paraphrasing...”due to the threat of cross contamination, we are not requiring masks, or permitting gloves, or other personal protective equipment in our establishment”

there’s the general problem with that stance, and then there’s the “fuck you” component of the language used

this was at a gas station, the last big one before Glen Canyon, so of course it was crazy busy

fortunately we were just gassing up, and didn’t need ice or restrooms
Deleted User 89

1100+ cases today

sigh...
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Who actually believe Donnie? 100 million vaccines ready by January. Lol
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

How many people here will actually get a vaccine that was rushed out?

I would rather they take their time and get it right.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

They're not cutting corners or taking shortcuts. They're doing the same stuff they'd always do, they're just doing it in parallel rather than sequentially.

You'd normally do it that way to prevent a potentially huge financial loss. Not because it increases safety. That's not a concern here.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Thread:

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Last night I was walking home around 5:30pm on Michigan Avenue in-between Superior and Huron.
A woman (I would guesss late 20s early 30s) looking a little hippie-ish had ear buds in her ears and was walking around giving various people the finger. I couldn't figure out if she was just "off" or if there was something else going on. She was seemingly PISSED at the world - and I was one of her victims.
I looked at her like - wtf? She just had this angry mean scowl on her face as she extended both hands and gave me the middle finger on both her right and left hands.
I watched her then give the finger to multiple other people.
I figured it out. She was giving the finger to people who were NOT wearing masks.
I had been mask shamed!
I walked back towards her to explain myself (that I was OUTSIDE and was NOT walking within 10 feet of anyone else) and as I started to approach her she wanted no part of me but she did insist on giving me the finger yet again. I tried to explain to her that she's not going to change people and that being so mean and angry is not the right way to go about getting support and respect and understanding of her and her "cause".
She didn't want to hear it. She just wanted to give me the finger - and she did.
Me being me, I should have just walked away but instead I smiled at her and said - "Hey - fuck you too. I hope you have a nice rest of your evening". Then I walked away.
The guy next to me who had his mask pulled below his face and was one of her victims - looked at me, shaked his head, rolled his eyes, and smiled.
America - 2020.
Deleted User 89

why would you not wear a mask when out in public, gutter?

i get that you were outside, and 10+ feet away from people, but still...

did you have a mask with you?

what if circumstances would have changed rapidly, and you would’ve been forced inside, or in close contact with others?

given your [well-founded] tirades about inconsiderate people as they relate to your mom, you come off as a bit hypocritical

heard a new term for the mask-less...maskholes
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

While one should always have a mask with them in case of unexpected proximity/duration, wearing a mask on an outdoors walk is entirely performative.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:27 am While one should always have a mask with them in case of unexpected proximity/duration, wearing a mask on an outdoors walk is entirely performative.
My go-to is having a mask on my wrist, and whenever I see someone coming within 50 feet, slap it on.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:32 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:27 am While one should always have a mask with them in case of unexpected proximity/duration, wearing a mask on an outdoors walk is entirely performative.
My go-to is having a mask on my wrist, and whenever I see someone coming within 50 feet, slap it on.
Perfectly reasonable!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wear one of those buffs everywhere, so if I do need to mask up, there’s at least some degree of mask already waiting on my neck.

It also helps to protect against sunburns and skeeters too.

This may or may not be a real life picture of me

Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Skinny knees
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah I should really stop skipping leg day.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And go figure, I thought the first comment would be about my totally sweet cargo shorts.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I just got some new masks to fit my 7-5/8 melon. We got some back in like April before there were many options and they fit like crap.

The XL size from “Vida”. 10 bucks a piece, and made/fit well.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:25 am why would you not wear a mask when out in public, gutter?

what if circumstances would have changed rapidly, and you would’ve been forced inside, or in close contact with others?

given your [well-founded] tirades about inconsiderate people as they relate to your mom, you come off as a bit hypocritical

Yes, I have a mask with me at all times. I am 100% respectful of "rules" and "regulations" and have no problem abiding by them.

If I am outdoors, I ALWAYS wear a mask if/when I am within 10 feet of people. Obviously I can't control other people and how close they choose to be next to me but I try MY best to keep a "safe distance" from others.

I choose not to wear one when I am outside and a "safe distance" from others for two main reasons.
1st one is, I have breathing "issues". I have not been diagnosed but I am pretty sure I have a touch of emphysema - and I think being overweight and probably having a bad heart have something to do with it too. I don't care what anyone else says, I have a more difficult time breathing when I am wearing a mask.
2nd one is totally vain but I like to be in the sun. If I am in the sun and wearing a mask -

I find ZERO fault in what others choose to do in terms of wearing or not wearing a mask when they are outside and a "safe distance" away.

I find a TON of fault in what others choose to do in terms of NOT wearing a mask when they are within close proximity of others. Indoors or outdoors.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:25 am why would you not wear a mask when out in public, gutter?

When I first arrived in this country back in the early 80s the seat belt use was (anecdotally) around 50%. I’d say it’s now nearly 100%, and has been for about a decade. I’d loosely attribute it to a combination of education and those who saw wearing seatbelts as a sign of weakness dying off, either due to age or not wearing seatbelts!

What took decades with seatbelts will take a few months longer with masks. As we understand more about transmission of the virus more people will realize that wearing masks not only protects themselves but others.

I think the young lady at least somewhat justified in her outrage (although maybe not by how she expressed it) - you were endangering the health of others by not wearing a mask.

The data are unequivocal that the flu season was much milder in Australia due to precautions taken in light of COVID prevention - wearing masks, distancing and personal hygiene like washing hands.

Maskhole!